Turn on thread page Beta

Underrated Uni's? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think Lancaster is quite underrated. In terms of their teaching assessment and research, Lancaster is right up there with the likes of Warwick and Bath. (for business anyways)

I'd like to think I am right, as I will be there this coming October.

You guys agree? If not, what's wrong with it?

What are the other under and overrated Uni's?

ReputationRep:
    It's in the middle of no-where.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobytoby)
    Personally, I think Lancaster is quite underrated. In terms of their teaching assessment and research, Lancaster is right up there with the likes of Warwick and Bath. (for business anyways)

I'd like to think I am right, as I will be there this coming October.

You guys agree? If not, what's wrong with it?

What are the other under and overrated Uni's?
    I quite liked Lancaster it had a nice feel it but I didn't like the city much, it was tiny and the buses are expensive. Lancaster is underated.

I think Salford is quite underated too as it gets treated as an ex poly even though its had university status since 1967 and has a lot of tradiotional subject areas, things like cancer research are carried out there for example.

I think both Lancaster and Salford suffer from location problems, Salford is righrt next to Manchester but Salford as a city as a bad reputation, Lancasster is also as Lord H says in the middle of no where.

I also get a feeling that Birmingham maybe underaed but I am not sure why.

ReputationRep:
    Keele seems quite underrated to me

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff and Swansea - specifically for medical and life sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Keele seems quite underrated to me
    I was going to mention Keele but I am not sure. It already has a decent reputation but I think it may be underated in terms of admission requirements. The location is probably a factor here though.

At Lancaster for example you can get in many degree courses for 200 points which is quite low for such a good university.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to have similar entry requirements to Scottish unis. It's got some great sounding courses, seems to be a nice uni, and have a reasonably good reputation among people who know about such things. However most people just say "Whaaaa?" when I mention I'm going to put Keele on my UCAS form.

EDIT I have heard Salford has a good reputation for modern subjects. Does sound like a scary area though

ReputationRep:
    Surrey. Impressive student work placement scheme and industrial links.

ReputationRep:
    Abertay. Brilliant for computer-related degrees but nobody who doesn't want to do games dev likes it

ReputationRep:
    Kent/Essex. These looked pretty decent when I went there, and on poking around seem to have quite a good reputation amongst people 'in the know'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I quite liked Lancaster it had a nice feel it but I didn't like the city much, it was tiny and the buses are expensive. Lancaster is underated.

I think Salford is quite underated too as it gets treated as an ex poly even though its had university status since 1967 and has a lot of tradiotional subject areas, things like cancer research are carried out there for example.

I think both Lancaster and Salford suffer from location problems, Salford is righrt next to Manchester but Salford as a city as a bad reputation, Lancasster is also as Lord H says in the middle of no where.

I also get a feeling that Birmingham maybe underaed but I am not sure why.
    I don't think its anywonder that people see Salford as they do- for example it's 69th in the Times University League tables- Lancaster is 24th.....

anyway, i think that the middling unis are under-rated...

Ruthie xx

ReputationRep:
    At Lancaster for example you can get in many degree courses for 200 points which is quite low for such a good university.
    I have to admit to thinking Lancaster somewhat 'Mickey Mouse'. My friend did biology there - failed two modules (one in the second year and one in the third year). she got a 1st.

If I had failed a module I wouldn't have gotten a degree at all.

That pisses me off somewhat! Not that I wished she had failed or anything, I just think it's time that Universities tried to standardise degree results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    I don't think its anywonder that people see Salford as they do- for example it's 69th in the Times University League tables- Lancaster is 24th.....

anyway, i think that the middling unis are under-rated...

Ruthie xx
    That is exactly my point, if you see why the its so low down a lot of it is because it has a low entry score at A level because its in a bad area. When look above league tables its very different, good faciltiies (at least on my course, P4 2.2Ghz, 512MB RAM) it ranked in the 40's for research. Teaching assesements have let it down put a lot of people say the way they were made was completly wrong anyway.

In my prevous places of education I did nothing but complain about poor standards, facilities, poor teachers but I have not needed to at Salford. It has its problems but a lot of them are being sorted out.

Fluffy are you sure its Lancaster and not University of Central Lancashire? A lot of people get the two mixed up.

ReputationRep:
    That is exactly my point, if you see why the its so low down a lot of it is because it has a low entry score at A level because its in a bad area. When look above league tables its very different, good faciltiies (at least on my course, P4 2.2Ghz, 512MB RAM) it ranked in the 40's for research. Teaching assesements have let it down put a lot of people say the way they were made was completly wrong anyway.

In my prevous places of education I did nothing but complain about poor standards, facilities, poor teachers but I have not needed to at Salford. It has its problems but a lot of them are being sorted out.

Fluffy are you sure its Lancaster and not University of Central Lancashire? A lot of people get the two mixed up.
    Nope - lancaster. 110% sure! I spend enough time drinking there!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Nope - lancaster. 110% sure! I spend enough time drinking there!!!
    It may be just a one off, but when my sister went to the open day they said 240 points is required but people usualy get in for less.

It probably does have mickey mouse departments though, most universities do.

ReputationRep:
    It may be just a one off, but when my sister went to the open day they said 240 points is required but people usualy get in for less.

It probably does have mickey mouse departments though, most universities do.
    I'm talking about the actual degree - not A-Levels. Not idea about points. It's just that you can fail courses and still get a good degree classification - now that's just wrong!

A different friends brother did physics there and I know the same is true of that dept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I'm talking about the actual degree - not A-Levels. Not idea about points. It's just that you can fail courses and still get a good degree classification - now that's just wrong!

A different friends brother did physics there and I know the same is true of that dept.
    In theory you could probably fail two modules on mine but to get a first you would have to literly get about 85%+ on every module so its not going to happen. You would have to have a damn good reason why you failed the two modules though otherwise (i.e operation or other medical reason) otherwise you will have to resit. My mate got 38% in one and above 50% in the rest so they let him off.

Surrey and Aston.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Essex is very underrated, and does some great research particularly in the social sciences.

ReputationRep:
    SOAS

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.