Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I failed quite a few modules - but due to my (bad) habit of signing up to too many at the start of each year only the highest marks were counted (so my 25% for physical geographies wasn't included :cool: )
    Her course was like mine in that you couldn't carry extra modules to boost your classification though - it was a strict 120 points are year thing. Narked

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't trying to boost my classification - just indecisive and didn't want to commit until I'd been to a few lectures

And got fed up of filling in the forms to drop the extras so I'd just turn up to the exams answer the questions (generally badly because I wouldn't have attended more than 3 or 4 lectures and didn't revise) and fail :cool:

We were only allowed one "proper" extra module but I'd generally start off going to 2 or 3 extra each semester until I decided which to I preferred or if I couldn't be bothered with any of them...
    Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that you tried to boost your degree!

I know that some unis allow you to take an almost infinite number of modules and you only 'declare' the top 120 credit points - just wanted to point out that Lancs wasn't one of them!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry - I wasn't offended - just thought I'd correct it just in case anyone thought I was actually ambitious
    Lol! Heaven forbid! My course was nailed down so much that in the whole 3 years we only had 3 optional modules - and that was because the guy who was supposed to teach us Plant Genetics died suddenly!

ReputationRep:
    Surrey
    Sussex
    Lancaster
    Reading
    Cardiff
    Birmingham
    Aston
    Loughborough
    Leicester
    Bradford
    Luton
    Salford
    Bournemouth

Would rather not say about over-rated
    I was going to say Luton. For teaching I think I read it was on par with Cardiff! I live here though so wouldn't go there myself I know what the area is like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I'm talking about the actual degree - not A-Levels. Not idea about points. It's just that you can fail courses and still get a good degree classification - now that's just wrong!

A different friends brother did physics there and I know the same is true of that dept.
    You're from lancaster? me too. I've got a mate thee doing a masters in biochemistry!

lancaster ain't all that bad at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Abertay. Brilliant for computer-related degrees but nobody who doesn't want to do games dev likes it
    They're last in The Times league tables for law muhahahaha. Trust a Scottish university...

I think the OU is underrated.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a place to go for that kinda subject. My mum's school's careers advisor says it's the best place in Britain to go for programming/games development.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a place to go for that kinda subject. My mum's school's careers advisor says it's the best place in Britain to go for programming/games development.
    I know but if you're a student that is last in the league tables for something, you might get the stigma, even though you may be studying a different subject.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure plenty of unis are last for something.
    Durham's something like 96th for Computing but you don't see a stigma there do you?

I'm sure plenty of unis are last for something.
    Durham's something like 96th for Computing but you don't see a stigma there do you?
    Yes, I'd rather line my stomach with acetone than go to Durham.

Back to the topic......

Loughborough
    Cardiff
    UEA
    SOAS
    Exeter
    Essex
    Surry
    Sussex
    Keele
    Staffordshire (I feel compelled to stick up for my locals )
    Reading
    Southampton
    Newcastle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    You're from lancaster? me too. I've got a mate thee doing a masters in biochemistry!

lancaster ain't all that bad at all

No - one of my best friends did her degree at Lancaster.

The LSE is also underrated. Did you know that there are some people out there who don't think that it's the greatest university in the entire universe?

(Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    SOAS
    I'd actually say SOAS (or 'sausages' as I call it), like Warwick, is overrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    The LSE is also underrated. Did you know that there are some people out there who don't think that it's the greatest university in the entire universe?
    :eek: Shoot em all!!!

I'd actually say SOAS (or 'sausages' as I call it), like Warwick, is overrated.
    Shockingly, I agree with half of that post.

:eek: Shoot em all!!!
    Yes, they're allowed to not believe that the LSE is God's gift to the social sciences. And yet if I were to execute each one of them slowly and cruelly it would be me who would end up in prison! That's democracy for you.

(Original post by Leekey)
    Shockingly, I agree with half of that post.
    Only half?

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster is definitely underrated - especially for business where it is one of the best in the country.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they're allowed to not believe that the LSE is God's gift to the social sciences. And yet if I were to execute each one of them slowly and cruelly it would be me who would end up in prison! That's democracy for you.
    What is the world coming too???

ReputationRep:
    What is the world coming too???
    You might want to rephrase that.

Now I know why those who have a scientific background receive the stigma of being inadequate at English, when such people apply for subjects such as law at university.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.