Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im not filling my suitcase with hangers...ill wait till i get there and raid a robert dias or similar.Theyre not expensive!Thing i wondered about was irons. Actually laundry in general. Is there a launderette in each college? Where can we iron our clothes? Do we have to bring our own ironing stuff like a board?

ReputationRep:
    i heard somewhere...can't remember where exactly...that they have ironing boards but it is a good idea to bring irons and that washing costs about 90p a load. not sure if that is accurate but hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    can't believe this thread is still going. i was really bored when i started it off and it was the best thing i could think of to poll people on. I am disappointed that none of you think you will need factor thirty sun cream in durham though!

ReputationRep:
    I don't use SFP 30 anywhere in Europe. I go to factor 8 and that's about it. Factor 15 on rare occasions, and only for my nose and cheeks maybe.

ReputationRep:
    normally i am as white as driven snow (really). i took factor thirty on holiday with me (started my travels in africa and didn't want to get burnt). there is a reason behind my madness.

ReputationRep:
    What size are the beds in Durham?
    I just bought lots of pretty sheets and now I"m worried they don't fit.

ReputationRep:
    just singles i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    just singles i think.
    Thank you I spent 30 pounds for each quilt sheet set so I'm hoping it all dosen't go to waste I got pretty bright colours too, bright pinks, yellows and blues. Yayz!

ReputationRep:
    I think perhaps you may be overexcited by the prospect of quilt covers!

ReputationRep:
    leave the poor girl alone, if she gets exited about quilts then let her, she may like the quilts as they are pink or sparkely or something, anything that will make ur first few months plesent in ur room is ok on me.

n m8, i think ur jealous, it will be the first time u have ever seen a proper bed n quilt isnt it

*runs away*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrissyb)
    leave the poor girl alone, if she gets exited about quilts then let her, she may like the quilts as they are pink or sparkely or something, anything that will make ur first few months plesent in ur room is ok on me.

n m8, i think ur jealous, it will be the first time u have ever seen a proper bed n quilt isnt it

*runs away*
    Hey! My quilt set is pink and yellow......well more of terracotta and yellow i suppose!! Yeah, that's if i use one chris! We all know geordies can't feel the cold!

ReputationRep:
    ooooooooooo

pink n yellow, how cute, i bet u get the piss taken out of u all the time, we know ur secret now, its out lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    Im not filling my suitcase with hangers...ill wait till i get there and raid a robert dias or similar.Theyre not expensive!Thing i wondered about was irons. Actually laundry in general. Is there a launderette in each college? Where can we iron our clothes? Do we have to bring our own ironing stuff like a board?
    Yup, all the colleges have laundry room(s). Castle's is in the bottom of Bailey Court which is great if you live there but really unhelpful if you live elsewhere... the tourists always derive great amusement from watching people dragging their laundry baskets up saddler street/across palace green and desperately trying not to drop anything. There are six washing machines (£1 a load) and six tumble dryers (about 60p depending on how dry you like your clothes). As for irons/ironing boards, there are quite a few scattered around in various parts of college, so I wouldn't bother bringing one unless you plan to do a lot of ironing, which is really not worth the effort in my experience! Hangers are definitely a necessity as you'll probably only get given one or two. Woolies always sell out really quickly, so try the wondrous market if you can't find any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardinal)
    Yup, all the colleges have laundry room(s). Castle's is in the bottom of Bailey Court which is great if you live there but really unhelpful if you live elsewhere... the tourists always derive great amusement from watching people dragging their laundry baskets up saddler street/across palace green and desperately trying not to drop anything. There are six washing machines (£1 a load) and six tumble dryers (about 60p depending on how dry you like your clothes). As for irons/ironing boards, there are quite a few scattered around in various parts of college, so I wouldn't bother bringing one unless you plan to do a lot of ironing, which is really not worth the effort in my experience! Hangers are definitely a necessity as you'll probably only get given one or two. Woolies always sell out really quickly, so try the wondrous market if you can't find any.
    good advice, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    lol thats why u should be at hild bede, u save on the embarrisment and walk :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    I think perhaps you may be overexcited by the prospect of quilt covers!
    Yes, of course.

ReputationRep:
    i cut up all my dad's old boxer shorts and made them into a patchwork quilt (he wears cotton ones, not lycra in lots of pretty blue and green colours, some with checked patterns). it looks really pretty and is massive so i think i will take it to uni to brighten up my room and cover my bed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceAS)
    i cut up all my dad's old boxer shorts and made them into a patchwork quilt (he wears cotton ones, not lycra in lots of pretty blue and green colours, some with checked patterns). it looks really pretty and is massive so i think i will take it to uni to brighten up my room and cover my bed
    im beginning to worry about you! I read that and thought, no, surely she can't have said that, so I read it again. But alas, you did mutilate your dads underwear and turn it into a pretty quilt. how arty

ReputationRep:
    well actually he lost weight and had about twenty pairs of extra large boxers...i was bored....my sewing machine was already out on the table...it was so wrong it seemed right! it does now look quite cool and no one has guessed it is made out of old pairs of boxers until i've told them!

ReputationRep:
    we refer to it at home as 'the pant project'

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.