Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    i say i hate it, but abroad weather is always too hot if its more than 35, and i always complain its too hot.
    yeh hot weather can be really annoying when you're going out. I was in the car and getting a terrible headache.

ReputationRep:
    last summer my car broke as i was driving from bristol to cambridge. the engine kept overheating and i had to turn the heating on in the car to blow the hot air inside and prevent the engine overheating. it was horrible!

ReputationRep:
    did you not think to make more regular stops to let the engine cool down every once in a while ?

ReputationRep:
    did that as well. it was ridiculous. i was on my own and very very hot. it was the hottest day of the year so far and the sweat was just poring off me. i had the windows open but as i had the heating on too this didn't really help :mad:

ReputationRep:
    i think you might have been better off leaving the car in bristol and walking the x-hundred miles!

ReputationRep:
    i must have lost a couple of pounds in sweat though! everything has its advantages

ReputationRep:
    would've lost more walking!

right, im off for a bit, moisturising and the like to be done. See yas.

ReputationRep:
    night night

ReputationRep:
    who was it who wanted to bring the factor thirty sun cream????

ReputationRep:
    Now that you are all actually going to Durham remember to bring the following things as the shops had all sold out...

coat hangers *essential*
    scissors
    sticky back picture hooks
    blue tack
    sellotape
    files (+ file paper)
    safety pins
    drawing pins

You will need them at some point, and everybody forgets them, and in freshers week the shops are all sold out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AveHan)
    You will need them at some point, and everybody forgets them, and in freshers week the shops are all sold out!
    If your parents are driving you up to Durham and you can't find what you need in town, there's a large Tescos at the top of Gilesgate, which is likely to have a lot of the stationary, and hangars etc.

ReputationRep:
    Must buy some quality posters too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    Must buy some quality posters too!
    Theres normally a poster sale in Dunelm House 2 or 3 times a term. They occupy the whole of level B open area, and there are thousands of posters for sale. I am guessing they will try and book themselves in for just after freshers week. It would make commercial sense for them to do that.

ReputationRep:
    can someone tell me if mini-fridges are allowed in collingwood college. i heard that some universities do not allow them. also do rooms have a tv aerial socket ? telephone line ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    can someone tell me if mini-fridges are allowed in collingwood college. i heard that some universities do not allow them. also do rooms have a tv aerial socket ? telephone line ?
    They are banned in Trevs.

Wait for your freshers pack before buying one, as they will list anything prohibited in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)

Wait for your freshers pack before buying one, as they will list anything prohibited in there.
    At aidens they are provided :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)

Any reason why they should be banned ?

ReputationRep:
    Fire hazard/use too much electricity I would guess.

ReputationRep:
    But i want one, how else am i gonna keepmy brown ale cold?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardinal)
    Fire hazard/use too much electricity I would guess.
    Trevs claim they are banned as a fire hazard, but may be allowed if you have a medical need.

To me they are shooting themselves in the foot with that one. Either they are a fire risk and should be banned universally, or they are not and then should be accepted.

Medical grounds are not good enough to introduce true fire hazards into college. If somebody really had a medical need to say need an oxygen tent, which is a serious fire hazard, I would be surprised if they could have such a contraption outside of the hospital, let alone in College.

The point of them using too much electricity however is most likely to be the true reasoning behind such a ban.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.