RoboDoc
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
so far this is what my steps to get money back from running costs:
1) Uber or similar
2) Signed up to qmedic.co.uk to have adverts put up in exchange for money
3) Inform my insurer that my car is harder to steal because of above^^ so asks for lesser payment

any more advice???
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RoboDoc)
1) Uber or similar
3) Inform my insurer that my car is harder to steal because of above^^ so asks for lesser payment

any more advice???
You'll never break even - running a car comes with costs and you need to face that.
RoboDoc
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
You'll never break even - running a car comes with costs and you need to face that.
I think breaking even is possible but needs a struggle at least I am clawing back
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think breaking even is possible but needs a struggle at least I am clawing back
When you factor in all the costs of running a car, you certainly can't break even. Do you really think that if such a method was available no one would be using it?
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You're basically looking for ways to somehow get your car involved in your earnings to create the illusion that the car is paying for itself. It's not paying for itself, you're simply looking for ways to make money which you can then spend on the upkeep.
RoboDoc
Rep:
?
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
You're basically looking for ways to somehow get your car involved in your earnings to create the illusion that the car is paying for itself. It's not paying for itself, you're simply looking for ways to make money which you can then spend on the upkeep.
As I stated earlier to get back some of the costs I know I am not running a limo business so wont be making profit I mean anything I earn is better than nothing right?
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As I stated earlier to get back some of the costs I know I am not running a limo business so wont be making profit I mean anything I earn is better than nothing right?
Sure, but the phrase "making a car pay for itself" is a misnomer. In fact, the more you use it for work the more it'll cost to maintain.
RoboDoc
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=WoodyMKC;70255578]Sure, but the phrase "making a car pay for itself" is a misnomer. In fact, the more you use it for work the more it'll cost to maintain.[/QUOTE
hey dude even if I walk it is not for free I am using calories (food costs money)and wear my shoes down everything comes with a cost if you look at it objectively.
username2028267
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
1) Uber or similar

any more advice???
And get a reliable car, after all you don't want to be stuck with hefty repair bills. Toyota Corolla, Toyota Avensis are good examples of well built cars
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
1) Uber or similar

any more advice???
Sorry, but none of these will work.

You'd need Hire and Reward insurance for Uber. Depending on your age and driving history, this could be significantly higher, not to mention the increased maintenance costs, which would offset any potential revenue. Same for pizza delivery etc - you'd need Class 3 insurance (commercial travelling) and possibly that you commercial travelling after midnight depending on the type of deliveries you propose.

Adverts on cars, like the qmedic thing you suggest, have to be declared to your insurers as a modification and usually increase the cost of insurance. The theory is that it makes it a possible target for vandalism for people with a grievance against whatever you're advertising.
Kravence
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't go for Uber, It's a total ripoff for drivers in its current state
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (41)
16.02%
I'm not sure (8)
3.13%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (92)
35.94%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.56%
I'm not a current university student (111)
43.36%

Watched Threads