The Student Room Group

does any one do OCR MEI for maths?

how many exams are you doing this year?

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing 8. I'm retaking C3 (only got a B last year), and doing C4, FP1, FP2, M2, M3, S2, and D1. I took C1, C2, M1, and S1 (as well as C3) last year.
Reply 2
Original post by Henry Atkinson
I'm doing 8. I'm retaking C3 (only got a B last year), and doing C4, FP1, FP2, M2, M3, S2, and D1. I took C1, C2, M1, and S1 (as well as C3) last year.

ohh wow im only doing 4 C1 C2 S1 and M1. I thought it was too much for me but wow you're doing 8
Original post by mk_cbc
ohh wow im only doing 4 C1 C2 S1 and M1. I thought it was too much for me but wow you're doing 8

It's just the way my school does further maths. You do most of the maths A-level in the first year and then do the rest along with the further maths A-level in the second year.

Exam length wise, my maths exams total 12 hours, whereas the sum of my other exams is only just over 10 hours. Then again, that's not totally unexpected given that I'm doing further maths.

Writing this out I'm realising just how much revision I'm going to have to actually do this year.
Reply 4
It's just the way my school does further maths. You do most of the maths A-level in the first year and then do the rest along with the further maths A-level in the second year.

Exam length wise, my maths exams total 12 hours, whereas the sum of my other exams is only just over 10 hours. Then again, that's not totally unexpected given that I'm doing further maths.

Writing this out I'm realising just how much revision I'm going to have to actually do this year.

Haven't you started doing past papers yet and you do further maths that must be alot of work lmao im unable to do normal maths well except core i love core
Original post by mk_cbc
Haven't you started doing past papers yet and you do further maths that must be alot of work lmao im unable to do normal maths well except core i love core

Well, we've just had our mocks. I didn't do all that much revision and I'm pretty sure it's shown. Especially in FP1, and that's meant to be the easy module. On the plus side I know I've got an A in the C4 paper we did.

I'm kind of the opposite to you, I find the applied modules really easy, it's the core I struggle with a bit more. It's probably because I don't do anywhere near enough revision. I always tell myself I'll do some past papers but I rarely get round to actually doing them.
Reply 6
Well, we've just had our mocks. I didn't do all that much revision and I'm pretty sure it's shown. Especially in FP1, and that's meant to be the easy module. On the plus side I know I've got an A in the C4 paper we did.

I'm kind of the opposite to you, I find the applied modules really easy, it's the core I struggle with a bit more. It's probably because I don't do anywhere near enough revision. I always tell myself I'll do some past papers but I rarely get round to actually doing them.

omg you are i hate the applied modules😭😭 M1 and S1 are giving me pain. tbh im the same in that sense where ill tell myself ill do a paper but i honestly just did a paper like an hour ago i couldn't stand the fact i were complaining about doing nothing so i decided to do one .
six, C1 C2 FP1 D1 S1 S2
then I'll probably do seven next year (six learnt at school and another self-taught, either M4 FP3 or D2)
Reply 8
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
six, C1 C2 FP1 D1 S1 S2
then I'll probably do seven next year (six learnt at school and another self-taught, either M4 FP3 or D2)

wow good luck thats alot we only have to do S1 C1 C2 C3 C4 and M1
Original post by mk_cbc
omg you are i hate the applied modules😭😭 M1 and S1 are giving me pain. tbh im the same in that sense where ill tell myself ill do a paper but i honestly just did a paper like an hour ago i couldn't stand the fact i were complaining about doing nothing so i decided to do one .

Oh no, I definitely prefer core to applied, it's far more fun. It's just that I'm worse at core. Can't really give any advice on how to do well in M1 and S1, I kind of just winged it last year. (NB I don't recommend this unless you can get away with basically no revision.)
Reply 10
Oh no, I definitely prefer core to applied, it's far more fun. It's just that I'm worse at core. Can't really give any advice on how to do well in M1 and S1, I kind of just winged it last year. (NB I don't recommend this unless you can get away with basically no revision.)
tbh if i winged them id gurantee myself a U I have to put alot of effort into them two modules, I need an A this year so revision and past papers is what i need lmao
six, C1 C2 FP1 D1 S1 S2

Is there really any point in doing 13 modules in total? Only 12 will count towards your A-levels. I suppose it's nice to have a backup but then you're spending time on an extra module that won't count instead of concentrating only on the ones that will.
Original post by mk_cbc
tbh if i winged them id gurantee myself a U I have to put alot of effort into them two modules, I need an A this year so revision and past papers is what i need lmao

So what do you plan on doing with your maths A-level? Apply to uni?
Reply 13
So what do you plan on doing with your maths A-level? Apply to uni?

Well im in my first year so all my chem and bio exams will be at the end of A2, however my AS maths grades and mock results will go foward to unis that im going to apply for and I really want to apply for medicine so my results need to be like amazing for that
Original post by mk_cbc
Well im in my first year so all my chem and bio exams will be at the end of A2, however my AS maths grades and mock results will go foward to unis that im going to apply for and I really want to apply for medicine so my results need to be like amazing for that

Oh, good luck! Any ideas on which unis you're planning on applying to? Or are you going to wait and think about that later? TBH getting into anywhere for medicine is an achievement in itself.
Is there really any point in doing 13 modules in total? Only 12 will count towards your A-levels. I suppose it's nice to have a backup but then you're spending time on an extra module that won't count instead of concentrating only on the ones that will.

my school has a big focus on learning for learning's sake and not just for exams, so they mentioned that doing an extra module would probably be good for us, even if there's no real 'point'. yes in the sense that we'd have an extra if something else went badly but also just because it's fun :smile: and i want to do engineering at uni so I'd like the extra knowledge from M4/FP3
I'm doing 5 this year: C3, C4, M1 and then I'm retaking C1 and C2. I didn't do terribly last year in these modules but I do want A/A* overall so it's in my best interest to re-take them.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to do past papers together, perhaps over Skype? I find it a lot more productive doing PPs with other people. Discussing the questions/answers and different ideas or ways to approach a question. I find it's really beneficial and would be happy to try it with anyone if they wanted to : )

It's nice there's a thread for OCR MEI because I don't find many people take it. Perhaps OCR or Edexcel, but not OCR MEI.

I've i'm in a position to be doing C1,C2,C3 and M1 past papers (although RIP M1 because I can't understand anything even though I do physics). We've literally just started learning C4 this week so not able to do that yet.
Reply 17
Oh, good luck! Any ideas on which unis you're planning on applying to? Or are you going to wait and think about that later? TBH getting into anywhere for medicine is an achievement in itself.

Anywheres fine ill go anywhere in the uk to study med lmao but i my first choice would be Nottingham or leeds
my school has a big focus on learning for learning's sake and not just for exams, so they mentioned that doing an extra module would probably be good for us, even if there's no real 'point'. yes in the sense that we'd have an extra if something else went badly but also just because it's fun :smile: and i want to do engineering at uni so I'd like the extra knowledge from M4/FP3

I definitely see how it could be useful. If I had the time, and my school allowed it, I think I could have done perhaps FP3, M4, and DE (that would give you an additional AS). That would all probably help me as I'm going to be doing physics at uni. Although, at uni, they'll probably work with the assumption that nobody's done even just further maths so everyone's on an even playing field.
Reply 19
Original post by JaredzzC
I'm doing 5 this year: C3, C4, M1 and then I'm retaking C1 and C2. I didn't do terribly last year in these modules but I do want A/A* overall so it's in my best interest to re-take them.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to do past papers together, perhaps over Skype? I find it a lot more productive doing PPs with other people. Discussing the questions/answers and different ideas or ways to approach a question. I find it's really beneficial and would be happy to try it with anyone if they wanted to : )

It's nice there's a thread for OCR MEI because I don't find many people take it. Perhaps OCR or Edexcel, but not OCR MEI.

I've i'm in a position to be doing C1,C2,C3 and M1 past papers (although RIP M1 because I can't understand anything even though I do physics). We've literally just started learning C4 this week so not able to do that yet.

I honestly thought the 4 was alot y'all on another level wow aha lmao rip to me too i hate M1 so much and im struggling with S1 aswell its sad tbh😭 and hmmm i don't really use skype but i like the fact of doing papers together it does seem helpful

Quick Reply

Latest