Understanding Latin Translation in English (OCR GCSE Latin) Watch

username2923944
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So, this is starting to really frustrate me now. I've learned and almost completely understand (I make a few errors every now and then) the different froms of verbs (Present, Perfect, Imperfect, Pluperfect, Future, active & passive, PAP, PPP, Future Participles, etc. ) and all the noun cases but still can't put together sentences that make sense. I'm really struggling to quite understand how.

For example, this sentence (taken from 'Essential GCSE Latin by John Taylor [2nd Edition]): p177 (Translation 9)

dum Romani contra Latinos pugnant, Manlius Torquatus exercitum ducebat; filius eius, Titus nomine, equitibus praeerat.

I get: While the Romans fight against the Latins, Manlius Torquatus was leading the army; his son, Titus by name, had charge of the cavalry.

It doesn't quite make sense and I'm not sure to what extent I can make it into more understandable english without losing marks. Unless I made a mistake somewhere. This sentence isn't quite what I meant as there are others that present my question better which I can't find at the moment but I'll add if I do. Please help, thank you.
username2770874
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You shouldn't lose marks for making some small alterations to make your translation more natural English:
- Titus nomine can be translated as “named Titus"
- fought against the Latins? Idk the context so this might be right, but maybe just keep it as Latinos. I've never heard of the Latins.
- you translated the first clause in the present - which it is, so fair enough. However in Latin texts you'll sometimes find a present sentence in a past tense text. Writers used this to emphasise the action in a passage by making it seem like it's happening right now. So you can interpret this as a literary technique rather than taking it literally.

So you'd end up with
While the Romans fought against the Latins, Manlius Torquatus was leading the army; his son, named Titus, had charge of the cavalry.

While the Romans fight against the Latins, Manlius Torquatus was leading the army; his son, Titus by name, had charge of the cavalry.

Hope this helped!
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You're pretty much spot on, but I'd agree with the above poster - something like 'named Titus' or 'called Titus' would be better in more natural English than 'Titus by name'. Likewise, dum + a present tense verb is used in a sense called the historic present or vivid present, and hence it's better to translate it as a past tense.

N.B. The Latins were simply a tribe that lived in part of Italy.

Hope this helps!
username2923944
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you for the responses! They were very helpful, I think I now understand.
5amer21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If its set text you're better off memorising the translation because poets write differently and so you wont get the correct translation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (18)
11.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (11)
7.28%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (36)
23.84%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (22)
14.57%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (16)
10.6%
How can I be the best version of myself? (48)
31.79%

Watched Threads