The Student Room Group

Postgraduate entry requirements - Degree score conversion

Hi guys, I'm in my 2nd year of my BA in my own country (Italy) and considering to continue my education in the UK. From what I understood, the requirement for being considered as an upper second-class honours graduated (2:1) varies from university to university.
I'm interested to do a postgrad in Edinburgh or Warwick, and from what I read they require an overall score of 104/110. I'll probably finish my degree with an overall score of 102-103/110, and I would like to know from some student (not necessarily italians and from these two universities) if universities are very strict with their score requirements or I could "recover" with a good personal statement.
Thanks and I hope to receive some good advice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey, I'm also Italian and I hate how score conversion is performed for us! I got an offer from Cambridge and they are asking for a equivalent of a first: 110/110, which is manageable but still puts a lot of pressure on me.

I'm not sure about Warwick or Edinburgh and how strict they are with their conditions, but I would say submit your application anyway. If they give you a conditional offer with a 104 and you end up with 103, I don't think it will matter to them. You can surely send an email to ask though.
Reply 2
Original post by capplicant
Hey, I'm also Italian and I hate how score conversion is performed for us! I got an offer from Cambridge and they are asking for a equivalent of a first: 110/110, which is manageable but still puts a lot of pressure on me.

I'm not sure about Warwick or Edinburgh and how strict they are with their conditions, but I would say submit your application anyway. If they give you a conditional offer with a 104 and you end up with 103, I don't think it will matter to them. You can surely send an email to ask though.

Hi mate, thanks for your reply and my best congratulations for your offer from Cambridge!
I'm unsure if I'll apply before I end my degree since I'm considering other options like apply for a scholarship in order to study in Japan (I'm studying East Asian Languages and Cultures at Sapienza University), from what you heard and experienced do you think UK Unis could still manage applications even though you'll do it at the end of your BA and with your confirmed overall score?
Original post by Slateman
Hi mate, thanks for your reply and my best congratulations for your offer from Cambridge!
I'm unsure if I'll apply before I end my degree since I'm considering other options like apply for a scholarship in order to study in Japan (I'm studying East Asian Languages and Cultures at Sapienza University), from what you heard and experienced do you think UK Unis could still manage applications even though you'll do it at the end of your BA and with your confirmed overall score?

I'm not sure about every uni, but I'm afraid March is usually the latest you can submit an application. Maybe for some courses deadline could be later, but not much. You may want to check with the individual Universities.
Hi guys, I'm in my 2nd year of my BA in my own country (Italy) and considering to continue my education in the UK. From what I understood, the requirement for being considered as an upper second-class honours graduated (2:1) varies from university to university.
I'm interested to do a postgrad in Edinburgh or Warwick, and from what I read they require an overall score of 104/110. I'll probably finish my degree with an overall score of 102-103/110, and I would like to know from some student (not necessarily italians and from these two universities) if universities are very strict with their score requirements or I could "recover" with a good personal statement.

Universities may offer some leeway in accepting applicants who have not achieved their offer grades, depending on the quality of the overall cohort. in other words if they make 100 offers to achieve 60 places, and only 55 people make the grade, the 5 nearest miss students can hope to get their offer confirmed anyway.

You should aim to apply roughly between October and February prior to the October start of the course unless the course explicitly suggests otherwise. You will probably then be given a conditional offer, and only have your place confirmed once you have your BA degree. If you wait to get the results of your BA degree, you will effectively have to take a 'year out' depending on your academic year dates. That may of course be a benefit if you need to work to raise funds. There isn't a significant difference in your chances of getting an offer, either way around.
Reply 5

Don't know about Warwick, but I've found Edinburgh to be one of the most intransigent unis when it comes to meeting entry requirements. By all means email and ask, but I wouldn't expect them to budge even by a couple of points.
Reply 6
Original post by capplicant
I'm not sure about every uni, but I'm afraid March is usually the latest you can submit an application. Maybe for some courses deadline could be later, but not much. You may want to check with the individual Universities.

Neither Warwick nor Edinburgh have a set deadline for postgrad applications, just a principle of "the earlier the better":
http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/postgraduate/applying/before
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/

My postgrad uni was the same. My Masters course accepted applications up to a few weeks before the start of the course. Even some Cambridge postgrad courses accept applications up to the end of May.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending