The Student Room Group

FP2 Complex loci help!

The point P represents the complex number z, where
|z+i| = sqrt 2 |z+i/2| .
Show that the locus of P can be expressed as |z| = 1/sqrt2
Now I've done this by turning z into Cartesian and simplifying but I was wondering why I can't divide both sides by |z+i/2| and take the reciprocal of both sides to get
|z+i/2|/|z+i| = 1/sqrt2
Since everything else in the equation is the same, I expected |z+i|/|z+i/2| to simplify into
|z|
but it didn't and I was wondering why not. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by astudent...
|z+i| = sqrt 2 |z+i/2| .
Now I've done this by turning z into Cartesian and simplifying but I was wondering why I can't divide both sides by |z+i/2| and take the reciprocal of both sides to get
|z+i|/|z+i/2| = 1/sqrt2
Since everything else in the equation is the same, I expected |z+i|/|z+i/2| to simplify into
|z|
but it didn't and I was wondering why not. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

z+i2z+i=z    z=12 \displaystyle \frac{|z+\frac{i}{2}|}{|z+i|} = |z| \iff |z| = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}

if z+i2z+i \displaystyle \frac{|z+\frac{i}{2}|}{|z+i|} simplified to give z \displaystyle |z| you would be saying that no matter what z+i2z+i \displaystyle \frac{|z+\frac{i}{2}|}{|z+i|} is equal to, z \displaystyle |z| will always equal that value which you can see clearly isnt true for z=0 ie z+i2z+i0 \displaystyle \frac{|z+\frac{i}{2}|}{|z+i|} \neq 0 for z=0 \displaystyle z=0

this is a kind of special case where the solution for z when z+i2z+i=12 \displaystyle \frac{|z+\frac{i}{2}|}{|z+i|} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} is z=12 \displaystyle |z| = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} itself

if thats hard to wrap your head around think about this instead, as its effectively the same thing;

x2+2x=1    x=1 \displaystyle x^2 + 2x = -1 \iff x = -1

however that does not mean that x2+2x=x \displaystyle x^2 + 2x = x for every value of x, it just so happens that x2+2x=1 \displaystyle x^2 + 2x = -1 gives x=1 \displaystyle x=-1 as a solution.

x2+2x=3 \displaystyle x^2 + 2x = 3 doesnt mean x=3 \displaystyle x = 3 just because it worked for -1

does that make sense?
Original post by DylanJ42
z+i2z+i=z    z=12 \displaystyle \frac{|z+\frac{i}{2}|}{|z+i|} = |z| \iff |z| = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}

if z+i2z+i \displaystyle \frac{|z+\frac{i}{2}|}{|z+i|} simplified to give z \displaystyle |z| you would be saying that no matter what z+i2z+i \displaystyle \frac{|z+\frac{i}{2}|}{|z+i|} is equal to, z \displaystyle |z| will always equal that value which you can see clearly isnt true for z=0 ie z+i2z+i0 \displaystyle \frac{|z+\frac{i}{2}|}{|z+i|} \neq 0 for z=0 \displaystyle z=0

this is a kind of special case where the solution for z when z+i2z+i=12 \displaystyle \frac{|z+\frac{i}{2}|}{|z+i|} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} is z=12 \displaystyle |z| = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} itself

if thats hard to wrap your head around think about this instead, as its effectively the same thing;

x2+2x=1    x=1 \displaystyle x^2 + 2x = -1 \iff x = -1

however that does not mean that x2+2x=x \displaystyle x^2 + 2x = x for every value of x, it just so happens that x2+2x=1 \displaystyle x^2 + 2x = -1 gives x=1 \displaystyle x=-1 as a solution.

x2+2x=3 \displaystyle x^2 + 2x = 3 doesnt mean x=3 \displaystyle x = 3 just because it worked for -1

does that make sense?

Thanks so much, yes that makes a lot of sense. So it's really just like finding the intercept of a graph but with z. and instead of an intercept. all the points on the circle with centre origin and radius 1/sqrt2 will be a solution? Thanks a bunch for the help!!
Original post by astudent...
|z+i| = sqrt 2 |z+i/2| .
|z+i|/|z+i/2| = 1/sqrt2
|z|

the red part is the wrong way up.
Original post by the bear
the red part is the wrong way up.

whoops, thanks, I've edited it now.

Quick Reply

Latest