The Student Room Group

EE phone contract and I receive no calls. Surely I can cancel

I got an expensive contract for an iPhone 6s Plus from EE in December.
I felt it was worth it as I'm looking for work at the moment and wanted a phone I could write applications easily on.

Since getting the contract I have had most calls go through unsuccessfully. The signal is low or non existent. The customer service don't seem to know what's happening.

I've called twice now and while hey do manage to fix the problem for 5 mins while I'm on the phone as soon as I'm off he same thing happens.

I'm worried this could affect my chances of finding employment if an employer isn't able to contact me.
I can usually make calls okay but sometimes I just hear no ring and the call is ended automatically.

Nothing has properly been done.

Surely I can ask for the contract to be cancelled without having to pay an early termination fee?

I have 20 months left of this nightmare!

Scroll to see replies

Moved to the correct section. :smile:

I don't think you'll get out of the contract without paying for early termination as EE will most likely argue it was your responsibility to assure they could provide coverage in your area - which you can do on their website. It's worth a go though, see what they say - nothing to stop you from trying; just don't expect fruitful results.

Original post by Mezza362
I felt it was worth it as I'm looking for work at the moment and wanted a phone I could write applications easily on.

Since getting the contract I have had most calls go through unsuccessfully. The signal is low or non existent. The customer service don't seem to know what's happening.

I've called twice now and while hey do manage to fix the problem for 5 mins while I'm on the phone as soon as I'm off he same thing happens.

I'm worried this could affect my chances of finding employment if an employer isn't able to contact me.
I can usually make calls okay but sometimes I just hear no ring and the call is ended automatically.

Surely I can ask for the contract to be cancelled without having to pay an early termination fee?

Reply 2
It'a strange that they managed to fix the problem but only temporarily, are you sure there's nothing wrong with your phone?
Have you called them and explained this is the case and the issue hasn't been resolved? If so, call again, explain and this time say you want to lodge a formal complaint and request a call back from a manager (that might be a problem...so give an alt. Number) .

No, the most you will get is compensation for days without signal. The main cause of signal problems is the sim card has been damaged and if it has happened since the start, whomever put the sim into your phone most likely damaged it. Go to an EE store, say that customer service told you to get a sim replacement without charge and they'll give you one without charge otherwise it is £5-10, that should fix the problem as with EE you should at least get 2G/E/GPRS unless you're in the ocean.
Reply 4
Original post by PandaSal
No, the most you will get is compensation for days without signal. The main cause of signal problems is the sim card has been damaged and if it has happened since the start, whomever put the sim into your phone most likely damaged it. Go to an EE store, say that customer service told you to get a sim replacement without charge and they'll give you one without charge otherwise it is £5-10, that should fix the problem as with EE you should at least get 2G/E/GPRS unless you're in the ocean.

Even in the Ocean (near the mainland) you get 2g, one of the reasons they kept it on. Also, sim replacement is usually always free unless you've had like 5 then they might ask for money but highly unlikely.
Reply 5
It's not a signal problem.
I have 5 bars on my phone and it still happens.

Some days I don't have signal but that's not the issue.

When people try and ring me it just disconnects. Doesn't even ring. Even with full signal. I can use the internet fine.
It's not a signal problem.
I have 5 bars on my phone and it still happens.

Some days I don't have signal but that's not the issue.

When people try and ring me it just disconnects. Doesn't even ring. Even with full signal. I can use the internet fine.

In this case, it's a handset problem - unless the SIM card/something EE can control is specifically at fault, it's absolutely nothing to do with EE and you either need to get a replacement phone or contact the manufacturer (Apple in this case, as you bought it in December it's still in warranty so they'll fix it for you for free or replace it for free).

Please contact CAB and they can talk you though it but you have the right under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 Chapter 1 part 9,10 and 24 to be supplied with goods of a satisfactory quality and ones which are fit for purpose. If the repair hasnt worked, then you are entitled to a 100% refund.

If its the service there is scope to cancel the contract and ask for a refund

Speak to CAB and take in your contract as well. Too tired to go through it..

It looks like its impossible for you to determine if its the handset(goods) or the service. You do know RR supplied you with both.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Paracosm
In this case, it's a handset problem - unless the SIM card/something EE can control is specifically at fault, it's absolutely nothing to do with EE and you either need to get a replacement phone or contact the manufacturer (Apple in this case, as you bought it in December it's still in warranty so they'll fix it for you for free or replace it for free).

Consumer Rights claims are against the retailer and not the manufacturer.
Original post by 999tigger
Consumer Rights claims are against the retailer and not the manufacturer.

That may well be true, but the retailer may not be authorised to repair the faulty device. They'll either opt to replace it, or refer them to Apple. Which is exactly what mine did too.
That may well be true, but the retailer may not be authorised to repair the faulty device. They'll either opt to replace it, or refer them to Apple. Which is exactly what mine did too.

Doesnt matter they get one chance under the CRA to repair or replace if its over 30 days and less than six months from the purchase date. If ithe repair fails (which it has in this case), then the right to a refund comes in. no need to believe me you can google it for yourself.

The contract is with EE and the claim is against EE.
Doesnt matter they get one chance under the CRA to repair or replace if its over 30 days and less than six months from the purchase date. If ithe repair fails (which it has in this case), then the right to a refund comes in. no need to believe me you can google it for yourself.

I'm not challenging you, I believe you - there is no need to be so defensive. Whilst the route you suggest may make the most legal sense, the likelihood of a happy resolution for a manufacturer fault by going to the manufacturer (where they will attempt repair for free or replace same-day in most cases) is high, especially considering Apple's excellent track record and customer service. It might not be the most legally accurate thing to do, you're right, but it makes the most logical sense if OP just wants their phone back in working order.

Your solution, which would provide results, of course, but may involve a lot of legwork in order to action… versus mine will resolve the issue, allow OP to continue with their contract and also not cause them too much inconvenience in terms of arguing with their ISP (as we all know, they like to do that - even if we're completely in the right to argue our case) to get the refund they would deserve, as you say. Whilst on paper it may seem that arguing CRA is grounds for the refund, it would be more efficient and less hassle to simply go to the manufacturer. That's all I'm saying.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not challenging you, I believe you - there is no need to be so defensive. Whilst the route you suggest may make the most legal sense, the likelihood of a happy resolution for a manufacturer fault by going to the manufacturer (where they will attempt repair for free or replace same-day in most cases) is high, especially considering Apple's excellent track record and customer service. It might not be the most legally accurate thing to do, you're right, but it makes the most logical sense if OP just wants their phone back in working order.

Your solution, which would provide results, of course, but may involve a lot of legwork in order to action… versus mine will resolve the issue, allow OP to continue with their contract and also not cause them too much inconvenience in terms of arguing with their ISP (as we all know, they like to do that - even if we're completely in the right to argue our case) to get the refund they would deserve, as you say. Whilst on paper it may seem that arguing CRA is grounds for the refund, it would be more efficient and less hassle to simply go to the manufacturer. That's all I'm saying.

My impression was she wanted out of the contract,. the longer she leaves it the weaker her rights become. its better just to show them you know your rights and get them to play ball.

ps sorry for being defensive wasnt intended. just come off a thread where the brains that be said it was perfectly fine and their right to harass people....

For warranty matters, which this falls under, EE will refer OP to Apple. Three, Vodafone and O2 do the same, unless OP is claining on insurance and wasting £100 on something that would be free.
ps sorry for being defensive wasnt intended. just come off a thread where the brains that be said it was perfectly fine and their right to harass people....

No worries, that's OK! You needn't apologise, just wanted to explain how I saw it and totally respect something else may have been going on. Take care!
Original post by PandaSal
For warranty matters, which this falls under, EE will refer OP to Apple. Three, Vodafone and O2 do the same, unless OP is claining on insurance and wasting £100 on something that would be free.

CRA says against the retailer, so even if it does go to Apple it is still through the retailer as thats who the contract is with. its to avoid them foisting you off.
No worries, that's OK! You needn't apologise, just wanted to explain how I saw it and totally respect something else may have been going on. Take care!

Nope its fine you were right. You can point it out if you see it in future its most likely unintentional.
Take your phone back to the shop to get it looked at, there might be a problem. Iphones are overglorified piles of junk anyway.
It was a stupid idea to get a really expensive phone if you are only using it for job applications and general calls. You pay more than £20 a month for a phone if you use apps, games and the internet a lot. If you're just using it for texting and calls then you should just get a standard smart phone.
I pay £17 a month for my Sony Experia and for that I get unlimited calls and texts and 2GB data. It's a good phone and it has PSN which is good for me because I play my PS4 a lot.
I used to be an Apple fan. I have an ipad, ipod nano, ipod touch, apple TV. I even made my i pod nano into a smartwatch using a kit i got off of the internet. But then they kept releasing stupid updates I didn't want and all they did was make my apple toys into slow piles of quickly outdated crap.
I have now sold my soul to Sony, because their stuff lasts longer and does a better job.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
They tried to tell me it was the phone previously. I've had my phone checked by apple and there was nothing wrong with it.
But they gave me a new one just incase.

EE can confirm my calls are not coming through and I don't even get a notification that someone has tried to ring. I've lost out in a job because I couldn't be contacted for interview (given my parents number now but I shouldn't have to)!!!

Quick Reply