Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Masters studies anyone? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Greetings,

I am just wondering, if one is contemplating on doing a Masters, then to what extent would it be beneficial or better, if you stick with the field you did your undergraduate studies in.

Does it matter? Would deviating if even slightly outside your UG area when doing a MA be a bad signal to prospective employers. Thus is it better to stick with one topic throughout your Undergraduate and Graduate studies?

If somebody in here is doing MA or can offer som advice or tips of a serious nature, then thats welcomed.

Cheers,

Outrageous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Outrageous)
    Greetings,

I am just wondering, if one is contemplating on doing a Masters, then to what extent would it be beneficial or better, if you stick with the field you did your undergraduate studies in.

Does it matter? Would deviating if even slightly outside your UG area when doing a MA be a bad signal to prospective employers. Thus is it better to stick with one topic throughout your Undergraduate and Graduate studies?

If somebody in here is doing MA or can offer som advice or tips of a serious nature, then thats welcomed.

Cheers,

Outrageous.
    I think it's better to stick with something similar to what you did your undergraduate studies in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarBlueUK)
    I think it's better to stick with something similar to what you did your undergraduate studies in.
    Cheers. May I ask why you think so? Are you perhaps doing a masters?

The thing is the field is incredibly dry and one more year of it, well it's not appealing. That's why I asked about related fields.

ReputationRep:
    If its related then I guess it would be fine. For example if you did an LLB in Law and then a MA in International relations, or History of Law or Something, I guess that would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Well don't you need to be a Bachelor (and with a 2:1 or a 1st) of a subject to do it at Masters anyway? I know you do for some subjects.

ReputationRep:
    i would recommend doing a masters degree in a similar discipline than then one you already are familiar with.

eg, i graduated from caledonian with an honours degree in marketing communications last year and got accepted to do a masters in business IT systems at strathclyde business school. its not as IT orientated as i thought it would be but its more or less along the same lines as what i did previously and what i did at previous caledonian and previous institutions.

a masters degree is definetely worth doing in my opinion. not only does it allow you to gain knowledge and experience, but allows you to work hard and gain a little more confidence. i had the opportunity this year to work with top management lecturers/gurus and have also started to see the benefit - especially in my masters project. more so, students on my course were much more experienced in terms of professional work, so you learn something off them too.

hope this helps.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.