Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How much do drinks cost in durham pubs/clubs (especially colleges + Klute), i dont drink beer or larger so i wanna know about bottles mainly, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    How much do drinks cost in durham pubs/clubs (especially colleges + Klute), i dont drink beer or larger so i wanna know about bottles mainly, anyone?
    In the college bars a bottle will be about £1.50
    In Kingsgate they will be about £1.70

In town pubs, they are around £2

In the clubs they are anything from £1.50 to £3 depending on almost anything really! Klute especially does random promotions etc. You never can guess how much a drink will cost in there until you are at the bar.

For the others, beer in colleges is around £1.30, around £1.50 in Kingsgate and around £2 in town.

Some pubs in town are much cheaper, such as the Swan and 3 (£1.30) and the Colpitts (£1.20).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    In the college bars a bottle will be about £1.50
    In Kingsgate they will be about £1.70

In town pubs, they are around £2

In the clubs they are anything from £1.50 to £3 depending on almost anything really! Klute especially does random promotions etc. You never can guess how much a drink will cost in there until you are at the bar.

For the others, beer in colleges is around £1.30, around £1.50 in Kingsgate and around £2 in town.

Some pubs in town are much cheaper, such as the Swan and 3 (£1.30) and the Colpitts (£1.20).
    Thats not bad, where i live they have a cheap night, most bottles are £1 on tuesdays, except smirnoff ice ! :mad: do they do anything like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    Thats not bad, where i live they have a cheap night, most bottles are £1 on tuesdays, except smirnoff ice ! :mad: do they do anything like that?
    Not that I have seen.

The university bars are all controlled by the Minimum Pricing Policy, as laid down by University Council. It mandates a minimum price, a minimum level of profit to aim for, and prohibits price-lead promotions amongst other things.

As for in town, there doesn't seem to be such offers around. I would guess that most places need to run such deals in order to stay packed throughout the week. Durham, with its large student population doesn't need to make such promotions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    When i was in durham i had a couple of pints in the swan and 3, and i was charged less than £1 for each (whether accidentally or on purpose I didn't ask!)

ReputationRep:
    Some pubs do have special offers sometimes, like Reefs used to be a quid on Wednesdays in the New Inn but I don't know if they still do that. College bars don't really tend to have offers like that because of licensing but also Varsity has a lot of things like buy 2 glasses of wine and get the rest of the bottle free or shots for a quid.

ReputationRep:
    from my limited experience overall durham isn't that cheap. Averages out about the £2 a pint mark. Bit steep for poor students! Although there are places where u can get a 4 pint pitcher for about £5 if i remember correctly.

ReputationRep:
    It depends where you come from really.

For londoners, it'll be dead cheap, esp during term time when there's loadsa offers on. For others it'll be average i'd rekon.

BUT word of warning, Newcastle (if you plan to go there once in a while), can be VERY expensive especially if you are clubbing.

M

ReputationRep:
    go to middlesbrough, im sure you'll have SO much fun there

no really, dont take my advice please, i was joking, i dont want some poor soul covered in acid rain, ill have to live with the consequences of knowing what i put a poor soul through, all my life

like tkfmbp says go to newcastle, it has some nice clubs n a lot of nice bars, including Newcastle "Broon" ale which you must try

ReputationRep:
    shall we get into the fact that it's not going to be produced in Newcastle any more ? Its moved to the Fed in Dunston (Gateshead, south of the tyne), in case anyone didn't know.

Moreover, there's some confusion as to whether it will continue to be called Newcastle Brown Ale, since it will really be Gateshead Brown Ale. Then again, some genious has come up with the idea of producing Toon Blonde (a lager due out later this yr) and Toon Brunette, an ale, due out next year sometime.

Nice.

On the subject of 'broon ale' (geordie slang), it is a nice, sweet, and almost creamy ale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrissyb)
    go to middlesbrough, im sure you'll have SO much fun there

no really, dont take my advice please, i was joking, i dont want some poor soul covered in acid rain, ill have to live with the consequences of knowing what i put a poor soul through, all my life
    God no, don't go to Boro if you can help it! It would be the only area of the country not affected by a chemical warhead being dropped on it!

Sorry to any smoggies, but i can't resist, esp with the Toon-Tees Derby tomoro....3-1 to the Toon! Kluivert to score first

ReputationRep:
    damn right it is, n if i can get me hand on a few bottle in durham anywhere id be very please

and i think it will still br newcastle broon ale, because they still refer to fosters as a AUSTRALIAN larger, even though its owned and brewed by a british company, i think marketing reasons and the fact that broon ale is a well know name that they will keep it

if they dont they need to be shot. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but last I'd heard, broon was a brand protected by the EU laws of some kind, such that it could only be called NBA if it was brewed in Newcastle, like Wennslydale Cheese, (from Wennslydale) and Parmesan Cheese (Parma).

I don't know, maybe they found a way round it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    Yeah, but last I'd heard, broon was a brand protected by the EU laws of some kind, such that it could only be called NBA if it was brewed in Newcastle, like Wennslydale Cheese, (from Wennslydale) and Parmesan Cheese (Parma).

I don't know, maybe they found a way round it.
    Just tell Brussels that Gateshead is really just South Newcastle!

DSU used to hold the Freshers Ball in the Fed. Yes thats right people, the freshers ball was the proverbial "piss-up in a brewey" Apparently it still needed a fair bit of organisation though!

This year, it is scheduled to be in Tall Trees. Hope the chemical smog has cleared from Teeside by then

ReputationRep:
    nah in yarm its fine, so no chemical smog for you, but if u venture further, do so at you own risk

ReputationRep:
    we were (chrissyb and I) were trying to hold our own little private convo...but once again dave, and his mountain of knowlege on all things durham has prevailed.

Having it at Tall Trees is a bit risky isn't it ? We'll just have to do what Newcastle fans do at Boro away games. Sod the suits and niceness. Gasmasks and protective clothing all the way. The toon fans used to spend quite a lot of money on their costumes just to make a point. Still, a point well made i think!!

ReputationRep:
    lol true

n yeah dave but out (dont hurt me i was only joking )

yeah i could reccommend a good shop for gasmasks n things, but you'd have to venture into boro, n you wouldnt want that, i think you'd rather be eaten alive then venture into boro's smog filled town centre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrissyb)
    lol true

n yeah dave but out (dont hurt me i was only joking )

yeah i could reccommend a good shop for gasmasks n things, but you'd have to venture into boro, n you wouldnt want that, i think you'd rather be eaten alive then venture into boro's smog filled town centre
    Does walking in Boro town centre not induce a feeling of being eaten alive ?....until you realise you really are being eaten alive by actual chemicals ?

ReputationRep:
    nah the chemicals wont eat you a live, maybe change you hair color, n make you grow spots but thats all.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=dave134]
    QUOTE]

the special offer in klute (sun-thurs) last year was £2 for a double spirit and mixer-very dangerous, especially after a pub crawl or the dun cow challenge

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.