Edulcorante
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Certain universities have particular fields of strength, for example Warwick with mathematics and economics.

What would you say York's particular strengths are?
Edulcorante
Rep:
?
How about English?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Biology, they're ranked 5th for it.
At least I hope its good there cause I might be going there for it.
Edulcorante
Rep:
?
Biology? That's good to know, although that's not the field I'm interested in.

I hate it when people throw ranking data at each other, but I had a quick look at how York ranks for English... I know, I know

But it looks pretty strong so I'm glad I looked! Top ten in the Complete Uni Guide and top 30 in the world in one of the global rankings.
lizzyc501
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Global rankings are generally quite inaccurate. I came from a different country and I'm surprised how highly they ranked some of the worst universities there. Rankings for institutions within the same place are generally quite accurate. As someone has already mentioned York is great for Biology, Chemistry as well. No idea about the arts and humanities area but pay a visit if you're considering it, I found open days extremely informative and help you differentiate unis of similar ranking.
paul smith 2017
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
York University does not have any strengths at all. Grossly over rated institution. The Chemistry Department have one member of staff who plagiarised the work of a Professor of Organic Chemistry from Oxford University - don't go here.
Sam Crossley
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I study PPE at York and happen to know the politics department have world-leading researchers in many topics like international development, marxism, and others. That's not to say you should be interested in those things - just that our lecturers here really have their act together.

There are also some fantastic opportunities with student societies here at York - I'm on the committee of one called York Community Consulting, which lets students volunteer to solve problems that local charities have - if you'd like to know more please don't hesitate to ask!
NeedthatA*
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Paul smith that's quite a serious accusation, could you back it up at all please, and let us know of your experience with the university?
Pamboli
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I studied History of Art there. The expectations were quite high, so was the quality of the teaching and the tutors were really top class. At the time I was there, there were at least 3 major exhibitions in the Tate Gallery/V&A that were mainly curated by my tutors. If that is not top quality, I don't know what would be...
karl2017
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NeedthatA*)
Paul smith that's quite a serious accusation, could you back it up at all please, and let us know of your experience with the university?
I also went to University of York and I too can corroborate that accusation Dr Paul Walton gave a lecture titled Colour chemistry, this lecture was a carbon copy of a
lecture given at Nottingham University by a Professor of Organic chemistry form Oxford University which Mr Paul Walton attended because he was then a PHD student at Nottingham when went to York he then delivered this same lecture practically word for word and delivered the lecture as his own - plagiarism.
Edulcorante
Rep:
?
Well, surely one instance of plagiarism by one person doesn't mean the whole institution is bad? That's like saying a whole company should be shut down and blacklisted because of misconduct by one employee.
Edulcorante
Rep:
?
I'm not sure of the truth or otherwise of the case mentioned here, but my interests lie in the field of English Lit.

York looks strong from the data I've seen and I'd be interested to see opinions from those in the know. I've also heard about York's strong reputation in politics.
Zactopus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Psychology definitely! It has a lot of very famous people in the department and really well known research projects and collaborations. Definitely one of the best psychology departments in the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.05%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (118)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads