The Student Room Group

Do you think the EU will dissolve ?

Poll

Do you think the EU will dissolve ?

If yes,why and how will Europe be affected by this ?
If no, do you think it can remain as is will it weaken or Federal Europe is the future of the EU?
Note: I didn't say should I said will !!!Try to be objective.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vesniep
If no, do you think it can remain as is will it weaken or Federal Europe is the future of the EU?

From the current outlook, three countries want to leave: Greece, Italy and France.
If France leaves, the EU is screwed,
Britain and France are 2 of the 3 largest economies in the EU. If they are gone, then what is the point of Germany and a bunch of smaller countries?
I will always be a remainer because of the single market but I believe that the EU needs to change its ways and go back to being an economic union as opposed to a political one, only then can it avoid any risk of dying
I hope. I hope it's nasty agenda, nasty rules and nasty side of the system dissolves completely forever. However, I think it might take some time for that to happen.
Reply 3
Original post by Naveed-7
I hope. I hope it's nasty agenda, nasty rules and nasty side of the system dissolves completely forever. However, I think it might take some time for that to happen.

What about changing the rules instead of abandoning the idea of a united Europe.
Although the EU is malfunctioning, I think it serves a noble goal ; to unite the countries of Europe.
Although I think the EU will dissolve by 2020, I'd rather live in Federal Europe than a Europe of small and insignificant countries.
The EU as it is today is not beneficial for many European countries especially Greece I agree, but a divided Europe will not be powerful ever again.
USA's and Europe's power is in great decline. If we are divided we'll only decline quicker.
Protectionism is not the answer. Free trade with reformed rules is.
France won't leave - Le Pen always loses the second round of the presidential election. IMO it will either be Fillon or Macron as President. http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/02/daily-chart-20
With Britain gone, the EU will have a greater opportunity to unite and get rid of barriers within the EU and may adopt an EU constitution and form an EU army. The question is whether the EU will start being more like a nation state rather than a union of countries each with their own small minded interests.
Reply 5
Original post by asim1999
From the current outlook, three countries want to leave: Greece, Italy and France.
If France leaves, the EU is screwed,
Britain and France are 2 of the 3 largest economies in the EU. If they are gone, then what is the point of Germany and a bunch of smaller countries?
I will always be a remainer because of the single market but I believe that the EU needs to change its ways and go back to being an economic union as opposed to a political one, only then can it avoid any risk of dying

I expect France to be end the EU.
They'll elect Le Pen who will carry out a referendum which will take France out of EU.
The same might happen in Greece, Italy, Netherlands , list goes on to pretty much every European country.
The single market will probably not exist after the dissolution of EU.
I think nationalism will prevail in Europe and US in the end.
Reply 6
Original post by rustyldner
France won't leave - Le Pen always loses the second round of the presidential election. IMO it will either be Fillon or Macron as President. http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/02/daily-chart-20
With Britain gone, the EU will have a greater opportunity to unite and get rid of barriers within the EU and may adopt an EU constitution and form an EU army. The question is whether the EU will start being more like a nation state rather than a union of countries each with their own small minded interests.

I'd really like the idea of Federal Europe.
In a sense EU has failed us all. That's because it's a union of countries with 'their small minded interests'.
I really hope that Brexit will be beneficial to the EU. It is one of those countries like Greece and Italy that are really not a part of Europe
ie national identity is much important than European identity.
I propose that those countries stay out of Federal Europe in the beginning while remaining close allies.
Original post by Vesniep
I'd really like the idea of Federal Europe.
In a sense EU has failed us all. That's because it's a union of countries with 'their small minded interests'.
I really hope that Brexit will be beneficial to the EU. It is one of those countries like Greece and Italy that are really not a part of Europe
ie national identity is much important than European identity.
I propose that those countries stay out of Federal Europe in the beginning while remaining close allies.

Totally agree, just look at Benelux for what a proper EU could look like.
Reply 8
You know that your thread is not very successful when you only have 8 comments 5 of which are yours
Edit : 5 out of 9
Original post by Vesniep

You should have changed it to do you wish.
Your request for people to be objective is really a bit hopeful.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
You should have changed it to do you wish.
Your request for people to be objective is really a bit hopeful.

I know:wink:
Reply 11
Germany will soon rule Eastern Europe like their most well known former leader wanted to.
Reply 12
Original post by joecphillips
Germany will soon rule Eastern Europe like their most well known former leader wanted to.

Germany changed :h:
I think Britain, France and USA are much more nationalistic than Germany right now.
What an irony :wink:
Original post by Vesniep
I know:wink:

There was also a thread yesterday on do you think the EU will collapse, where all the haters got to vote. I dont think objectivity is manageable by many on TSR. You would get much better answers if you posted on Quora.

Btw my answer is it depends what timeframe you look like.
They recognise it needs reform and serious reform imo.
Brexit will force them to rethink, not least because the UK contribution has gone and someone will have to pick that up as cuts in subsidies or increasing their own contribution. Its too big for a federal Europe so for the moment id think it will carry on as it is.

If there was ever a split then the rich western members could form a new pact and their economies are much more closely aligned. That would survive, whether they hang onto the rest depends on events and political will.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by rustyldner
Totally agree, just look at Benelux for what a proper EU could look like.

Exactly, the 'proper' European states.
Original post by Vesniep

Eventually yes- I believe we have set a trend to be honest. I am no great shake when it comes to politics but the following nations could potentially and practicably leave

1. France - A lot of people in France want to leave the EU so ISIS can not use the migrant crisis as a way to transport terrorists through Europe ,they have already been stung by that on the Friday 13th attacks.
2.Italy- They tend to like to copy others to go with the flow
3. Greece- The majority of people in Greece would leave if they could get there own way, when they had there Eurosceptic Primeminister who never kept to his word of taking them out.
4. Austria- The far right are on the rise

It may be complete claptrap but realistically i can see the people of these nations at least wanting a referendum
Reply 16
Original post by Martin Grainger
Eventually yes- I believe we have set a trend to be honest. I am no great shake when it comes to politics but the following nations could potentially and practicably leave

1. France - A lot of people in France want to leave the EU so ISIS can not use the migrant crisis as a way to transport terrorists through Europe ,they have already been stung by that on the Friday 13th attacks.
2.Italy- They tend to like to copy others to go with the flow
3. Greece- The majority of people in Greece would leave if they could get there own way, when they had there Eurosceptic Primeminister who never kept to his word of taking them out.
4. Austria- The far right are on the rise

It may be complete claptrap but realistically i can see the people of these nations at least wanting a referendum

You know that once you have a referendum the country is out of the EU :tongue:
I'm from Greece and I think we should leave from the EU for a better Europe.
GREECE IS THE FAILED EXPERIMENT OF THE EU
You have to be very careful with the situation but Greece should at least not use .
Original post by Vesniep
You know that once you have a referendum the country is out of the EU :tongue:
I'm from Greece and I think we should leave from the EU for a better Europe.
GREECE IS THE FAILED EXPERIMENT OF THE EU
You have to be very careful with the situation but Greece should at least not use .

Not that i know alot about this sort of stuff but didn't changing the currency impoverish a lot of Greeks... The Euro was worth more than the Previous currency meaning when it was converted over people became poorer and living standards in fact went down, this is why countries need to be independent. I have no problem with free trade but paying membership fees and having mass immigration for it is very unfair, Just look at what is happening in Lesbos.
i certainly hope so
Reply 19
I dont think the EU was good for the UK but it is good for Europe imo, people seem to forget just how dangerous European nationalism is. I think the EU's power will dilute and i think it'll see major reforms... perhaps i should replace "i think" with "I hope" otherwise it certainly will dissolve and result in chaos between European countries

Quick Reply

Latest