The Student Room Group

whats more stressful alevels or university?

Im doing my alevels rn and they're quite stressful tbh but what do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

all of my friends and family members have said a levels are more stressful by far
Our principal told us "aim for A's or don't bother at all". That's an immense amount of pressure we're under, considering the number of A Levels we're doing and the time we have to prepare for them.

A lot of our previous graduates have told us that University is "easy and laid-back" compared to high school, because our curriculum is pretty advanced and we're used to having heavy workloads.
Reply 3
Original post by prazzyjazzy
Our principal told us "aim for A's or don't bother at all". That's an immense amount of pressure we're under, considering the number of A Levels we're doing and the time we have to prepare for them.

A lot of our previous graduates have told us that University is "easy and laid-back" compared to high school, because our curriculum is pretty advanced and we're used to having heavy workloads.
I guess having to do everything within two years and working constantly is very stressful tbh id understand why its more hard. However your principal is right in that sense why would you waste two years of your life with no good outcome might aswell work hard and be proud with what you've accomplished
Reply 4
was spoon fed a-levels so uni, 90% of the work you have to do yourself, and attendance becomes a pain if you don't live on campus :indiff:

i'd say if you went to college rather than 6th form then uni should be a piece of cake for you cause the 1st year is a doss mostly (but ofc you must attend and put effort into every piece of work), then 2nd year I imagine is just like a slightly more intense version of A2's
Original post by mk_cbc
I guess having to do everything within two years and working constantly is very stressful tbh id understand why its more hard. However your principal is right in that sense why would you waste two years of your life with no good outcome might aswell work hard and be proud with what you've accomplished

All A's and above for 4-5 A levels (and AS Levels that we're doing in the same year)???

If he'd had said "work hard and make us proud" it would be one thing, but he said "A's or don't bother". What about the minority what are working ridiculously hard on subjects that they aren't interested in/don't need? I've moved out, but if I'd've stayed there they would have expected me to get an A in my Maths A Level when I don't even need it for Law.
Reply 6
Original post by IFLICHBA
was spoon fed a-levels so uni, 90% of the work you have to do yourself, and attendance becomes a pain if you don't live on campus :indiff:

i'd say if you went to college rather than 6th form then uni should be a piece of cake for you cause the 1st year is a doss mostly (but ofc you must attend and put effort into every piece of work), then 2nd year I imagine is just like a slightly more intense version of A2's

I go to a 6th form, and tbh im finding really stressful i do bio Chem and maths and honestly im having trouble keeping up. I gotta though if i wanna apply for med
Reply 7
Original post by mk_cbc
I go to a 6th form, and tbh im finding really stressful i do bio Chem and maths and honestly im having trouble keeping up. I gotta though if i wanna apply for med

some 6th forms are just like colleges, depends how much the teachers spoon feed you, the sooner you get into teaching yourself things rather than relying on someone else the better
Reply 8
Original post by IFLICHBA
some 6th forms are just like colleges, depends how much the teachers spoon feed you, the sooner you get into teaching yourself things rather than relying on someone else the better

yeah for my biology i guess you could say i do alot of independent reading because my teacher ain't exactly great so i have to teach myself then learn how to apply it. So maybe thats why im finding it so hard atm.
Reply 9
All A's and above for 4-5 A levels (and AS Levels that we're doing in the same year)???

If he'd had said "work hard and make us proud" it would be one thing, but he said "A's or don't bother". What about the minority what are working ridiculously hard on subjects that they aren't interested in/don't need? I've moved out, but if I'd've stayed there they would have expected me to get an A in my Maths A Level when I don't even need it for Law.

Oh my god you lot do 4-5 or above i only do three so im thinking of it from a different perspective but i guess you're right in the sense that they should be saying motivational stuff rather than words that could give you alot of pressure. But damn wow thatd alot.
Original post by mk_cbc
Oh my god you lot do 4-5 or above i only do three so im thinking of it from a different perspective but i guess you're right in the sense that they should be saying motivational stuff rather than words that could give you alot of pressure. But damn wow thatd alot.

Yeah, the campuses in larger cities have some of the highest A Level rankings in the country (not the UK, should've mentioned that :h:). Some of our graduates have taken 5 A Levels and gotten all A*'s, and we're only the 2nd class to graduate with students that have been there from Year 1 up to Junior Collage (6th form). Lot's of pressure to perform well. And, like College, we're responsible for our own work. They even got rid of detentions for not completing homework so that we would get used to working without incentive.

Wow.
Do u guys do CIE or Edexcel IAls?
Original post by LadiesMan99
Wow.
Do u guys do CIE or Edexcel IAls?

CIE
Reply 13
a levels

uni is a complete cakewalk unless you're aiming for a first
CIE

oh me too, which country are you from? cie isnt that popular on studentrooms apparently
Original post by Student1256
oh me too, which country are you from? cie isnt that popular on studentrooms apparently

Indonesia

Yes because its incredibly hard.
Original post by LadiesMan99
Yes because its incredibly hard.

i used to think so as well but apparently all boards are regulated and have the same percentage of A*'s given out and same level of difficulty. i would like to agree with you so do you have anything to back your claim?
I personally found university much more stressful than A-Levels.
i used to think so as well but apparently all boards are regulated and have the same percentage of A*'s given out and same level of difficulty. i would like to agree with you so do you have anything to back your claim?

Just compare your CIE Maths books with these:

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Fapp.box.com%2Fs%2Fevo5oo2b8hoasrm0qbtrg1dnkbmfquc2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest