The Student Room Group

My dad blames me

I woke up this morning and heard my mum and dad arguing, they obviously hadn't realised I had woken up yet. We have moved house recently and everything has been all over the place and stressful for everyone and I think all that stress came to the surface with them this morning.

Anyway they where saying they never have any time alone together to which my dad said "well our adult son never goes out so we never get alone time" and this really annoyed and upset me. I go to uni 2 nights a week to get my degree, I go training with my running team once or twice a week and I go watching either the rugby or football on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday depending on fixtures. As well as this I will make arrangements with my friends whenever I can. All my friends moved away to uni a few years ago and I stayed at home and got a job so my social circle decreased and now they've all come back with boyfriends or girlfriends so it is difficult to arrange to go out with them sometimes. But that being said I don't think going out about 5 nights a week is too bad.

What should I do? Should I say something to my dad because he has really annoyed and upset me by what he said.
I would say move out. You are an adult with a job. Stop living with your parents.
Reply 2
Original post by ThatOldGuy
I would say move out. You are an adult with a job. Stop living with your parents.

It is my plan to move out probably in the next 12 months. I am still only 21 and currently saving for a deposit.
Original post by Anonymous
It is my plan to move out probably in the next 12 months. I am still only 21 and currently saving for a deposit.

Quit spending your money, then. A £500 deposit on a place should not take 12 months if you've got no expenses. Stop drinnking for a month. Stop going out. Then move out.
From what you've said, it's likely your dad was just sounding off. People often look to blame others for their own problems because humans naturally look for the path of the least resistance. It sounds as though you are out of the house regularly what does he expect you to do? Walk the streets alone to kill time. Holding somebody else responsible means he doesn't have to make any effort himself to change things and make an effort to spend quality time with your mum. You should flippantly say one day, I'm off out tonight Dad so why don't you plan a lovely romantic evening with mum, just to see his face when he realises he has to make an effort!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
He just wants to bonk in the living like when they were first together. Plan the odd weekend away and don't over worry about it.
That's pretty awful when it's five nights a week your out. It's pretty selfish. I know people who can't have anyone but themselves in their own home but they just usually irk people. In a sense have an innate ability to make anyone near them feel belittled and uncomfortable.
Reply 7
As previously said, move asap

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest