The Student Room Group

As radians question

An oar of length L metres has the tips of its handle and its blade at A and B respectively. It is pivoted at P a quarter of the way from A to B.

During a stroke, A travels along an arc of a circle of length L/3 m.

a) Find the area of the sector swept out by PB during this stroke.

I have no idea how to get started,what would the diagram look like?
Reply 1
Why would p be the centre? I thought a would be the centre because its the tip and b and p would be a point on the circumference?
The diagram should look like two sectors of different size, arranged point to point, a bit like an asymmetric bow tie. The smaller sector, representing the motion of A, has centre P, radius L/4 and arc length (measured round the curve) L/3. The larger sector, representing the motion of B, has the same centre, P, and has radius 3L/4.
Original post by gooner1010
Why would p be the centre? I thought a would be the centre because its the tip and b and p would be a point on the circumference?

P is the centre because it is the pivot point, i.e. it is the point on the oar that doesn't move.
Reply 4
Original post by old_engineer
The diagram should look like two sectors of different size, arranged point to point, a bit like an asymmetric bow tie. The smaller sector, representing the motion of A, has centre P, radius L/4 and arc length (measured round the curve) L/3. The larger sector, representing the motion of B, has the same centre, P, and has radius 3L/4.

I honestly don't understand how that would look like in a circle:s-smilie:

An oar doesn't pivot around the tip of its handle. It pivots around an oarlock set into the edge of the boat, which is somewhere along the shaft - I guess that's what they're calling P.
I honestly don't understand how that would look like in a circle:s-smilie:

IMG_0479.JPG

Quick Reply

Latest