GeorgeTB1234
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What is some context for Tissue by Imtiaz Dharker and how has the context affected how she wrote and what she wrote about? Thanks.
rm.25
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Imtiaz Dharker was born in 1954, Pakistan but she grew up in Glasgow. Tissue is from her poetry collection called 'The terrorist at my table'. Most of the poems in that collection relate to religion, terrorism and global politics which make it difficult to grasp and understand them. Don't really know anything else... google it
HayatiofParadise
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Imtiaz Dharker is a poet and film maker, she has Pakistani origins and was raised in Glasgow. A great number of her poems look at issues such as religion, terrorism and global politics/identity. As a result, her work can be difficult to grasp. The poem is written from the point of view of someone today looking out at the conflict and troubles of the modern world; destruction, war and politics, money and wealth as well as issues like terrorism and identity. The poem remarks how nothing is meant to last, that it would be better not to hold too tightly to that and instead we should be willing to let go and pass things on in their time to be remade. In short, that the world would be better if it shared more qualities with 'tissue'. If you'd like some structure, themes and symbols then let me know! I hope this helps.
rm.25
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HayatiofParadise)
Imtiaz Dharker is a poet and film maker, she has Pakistani origins and was raised in Glasgow. A great number of her poems look at issues such as religion, terrorism and global politics/identity. As a result, her work can be difficult to grasp. The poem is written from the point of view of someone today looking out at the conflict and troubles of the modern world; destruction, war and politics, money and wealth as well as issues like terrorism and identity. The poem remarks how nothing is meant to last, that it would be better not to hold too tightly to that and instead we should be willing to let go and pass things on in their time to be remade. In short, that the world would be better if it shared more qualities with 'tissue'. If you'd like some structure, themes and symbols then let me know! I hope this helps.
Yes plz I'm failing Literature
HayatiofParadise
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rm.25)
Yes plz I'm failing Literature
Themes:
The poem looks at conflict in terms of destruction and politics particularly, it hints that we make our own conflict by holding on too tight to power and control and actually the need to relax and remember we are all human.

The Koran, Buildings, Maps and Grocery Slips are all symbols of wider issues in the world, notably religion, structures of power like the twin towers but also the major cities and landmarks of various nations, maps represent borders of countries and the divides in politics and culture while grocery slips could represent the influence of money and wealth on society, for better or worse. The poet wonders what the world would be like if these things were more like the tissue.

Structure:
The poem is written as an on-going monologue with some internal rhyme through the poem (though with no real pattern to it). It uses enjambent to create a very human and calm tone. The poem starts looking at the joy of simple things like well used paper and wonders what the world would be like if it had the same qualities. The final part of the poem is both hopeful and a warning. Against pride but in favour of growth and acceptance.

Overall for higher marks you should know:
The poet explores the characteristics of tissue and applies it to a world at conflict with the people who have made it. The poet addresses some of the larger issues; greed, pride etc and how we have built our world around them, at odds with our own existence. The poem is a parable in nature as it suggests there is a spiritual fulfilment in passing an ownership and letting things pass when they have filled their purpose.
Pepsin2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HayatiofParadise)
This is so useful thank you!
OliverJJ
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is there any context behind it? When was it written?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by OliverJJ)
Is there any context behind it? When was it written?
Published in 2006
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (254)
57.08%
I don't have everything I need (191)
42.92%

Watched Threads