Zoeeee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Last year in halls I got charged £60 for blu tack marks on my walls where the posters had been! I've never had problems in my room at home of blu tack making marks, stupid uni and their stupid cheap paint! Anybody know of anything that I can use to stick up my posters that won't leave a mark? Or am I destined to have bare walls or another large bill!
Flash6289
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Zoeeee)
Last year in halls I got charged £60 for blu tack marks on my walls where the posters had been! I've never had problems in my room at home of blu tack making marks, stupid uni and their stupid cheap paint! Anybody know of anything that I can use to stick up my posters that won't leave a mark? Or am I destined to have bare walls or another large bill!
What do you mean by a mark? Is it the blue colour left behind or do you mean like paint being pulled off? I bought some white-tack because I know my halls will have neutral walls and white-tack shouldn't leave any marks, unless it's where the paint is being pulled off?
Mr Ben
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Flash6289)
What do you mean by a mark? Is it the blue colour left behind or do you mean like paint being pulled off? I bought some white-tack because I know my halls will have neutral walls and white-tack shouldn't leave any marks, unless it's where the paint is being pulled off?
I think the blue tack leaves grease behind in the paint which causes the mark, it isn't the dye from the blue, so I'm not sure if white-tack would make a difference, you may be better off finding another method. Maybe just stick posters up on things other than walls, like doors, edges of shelves, etc. be creative.
Zoeeee
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Yeah it left a grease mark, white tack was just as bad.
Paeony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can get clear sticky pads for posters, but they'll still probably be a problem, as any adhesive will get stronger over time and so you risk damage when you finally do remove it. Best to do as others have said, and find other places to stick posters.
peskymousie
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
use white blue tack. And get the blue tack off at the end of the term, by useing other white tack. it then comes off without a problem.

pesky
Mr Ben
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by peskymousie)
use white blue tack. And get the blue tack off at the end of the term, by useing other white tack. it then comes off without a problem.

pesky
You still get the grease/oil marks though, even if you remove all of the white tack, even using other white tack and its the oil marks that the university charge you for because the only way to get rid of them is to paint over them.
stepheh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh.. *******s.. anyone know the solution?
xkatb15x
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i know it sounds odd but if the grease goes into the wall why dont you use a degreaser on the stains? or maybe vinegar im not sure?
.Theory
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Cellotape?
Flash6289
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by .Theory)
Cellotape?
I'm assuming that sticky tape will either pull the paint off or leave a sticky residue on the wall..
flipshot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There is: http://www.grippingstuff.com/gs-fp.htm

I haven't tried it myself but it looks quite good, I was planning on getting some when I'm at Uni. Only problem is I haven't been able to find any shops that sell it but you can order online.
Paeony
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You could try rubbing a bit of talcum powder or chalk into the greasy mark, it *might* absorb some of the grease so that the mark is less noticeable. Also moving your posters around every month or so will stop you getting the huge greasy marks, but obviously that's a hassle.
Crosseyed And Painless
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They say lighter fuel for the grease stains,non? Not that I've tried it...but worth a try I s'pose.
Paeony
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd try it somewhere inconspicuous first - heaven only knows what it might do to the cheap paint they use in halls lol.
indiethree
Report 12 years ago
Hey why not use little pins to hang posters up with? I hear a little pin hole is better than a big blu-tack grease stain...

Maybe?
tectonic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by indiethree)
Hey why not use little pins to hang posters up with? I hear a little pin hole is better than a big blu-tack grease stain...

Maybe?

MAybe.....wen you take out the pin ur gna have a small hole if u have loads of pics then ull have loads of small holes kinda obvious
Wilko_777
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
With my posters I stuck them up with drawing pins on these board things provided, although annoyingly there's only space for two. I swear the uni is up to something as well, there's a tent selling posters!
decky1989
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Zoeeee)
Can you not just get a cheap sample of paint for like £1.99 that is the same colour of your room and if the paint comes off just dab some paint over the marks lightly at the end of the year?? It would save use a costly bill of £60 :cool:
love_mojitos
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I dont know why people think cheap paint is used in halls. I know the company I work for use Crown paint - hardly cheap!
If you dont want the bills just dont stick as many posters up or use the notice board.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (20)
8.97%
Confident (29)
13%
Indifferent (35)
15.7%
Unsure (62)
27.8%
Worried (77)
34.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise