The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marshall Taylor
Yep, because Manchester Met (58th) is CLEARLY better than Oxford (1st) because they obviously 'wildly swing each year' - only a fool would overlook these tables and their reliability.

I suggest you watch this.

[video="youtube;OdypNNlx1SM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdypNNlx1SM[/video]
Original post by Magic Streets
Edinburgh is miles ahead of Exeter in every major World ranking, and these rankings are even discussed in the House of Lords and Houses of Parliament. It is also a much older university, and has educated Prime Ministers and Royalty across the World. You can definately say that it is a solid top 8 UK university.

Thank you so much for your help! The things you've said have consolidated what I have been thinking.
Original post by maroumarou
Not there yet, I'm at the same stage as you, but I really didn't like my course at Exeter so I'll probably firm Bristol now.

Good luck for next year! Bristol is supposed to be a really nice city to study in, plus it's so close to Bath which is somewhere I love to visit.
I suggest you watch this.

[video="youtube;OdypNNlx1SM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdypNNlx1SM[/video]

Please don't derail this thread by arguing about merits of league tables...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by themosscrowd
Thank you so much for your help! The things you've said have consolidated what I have been thinking.

The chance to study at Edinburgh may only come once, and we only live once, so don't waste it!
Good luck for next year! Bristol is supposed to be a really nice city to study in, plus it's so close to Bath which is somewhere I love to visit.

thank you! Good luck with your decision and your studies wherever you end up!
Original post by wolfmoon88
Please don't derail this thread by arguing about merits of league tables...

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is idle talk.

If you are in Exeter now then walk around Cathedral close and the amazing buildings like Guildhall.

It also has the Quay area and is near some fantastic beaches.

Nowhere can beat the range and quality of the accommodation.

Just calculate the cost of getting yourself and your stuff back and forward to and from Edinburgh at least nine times ...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
If you are in Exeter now then walk around Cathedral close and the amazing buildings like Guildhall.

It also has the Quay area and is near some fantastic beaches.

Nowhere can beat the range and quality of the accommodation.

Just calculate the cost of getting yourself and your stuff back and forward to and from Edinburgh at least nine times ...

The return on investment from a degree from Edinburgh will more than compensate for small details like these.
The return on investment from a degree from Edinburgh will more than compensate for small details like these.

You couldn't be more wrong. Exeter >>>>>> Edinburgh on any scale.
Reply 30
I have been accepted to both and I can't decide which one would be best to put as my firm choice. Which one is more highly regarded? Which would employers prefer?

The courses are:

Politics MA at Edinburgh
MPol Politics and International Relations at Exeter

Both want AAA.

Any advice on which one to choose would be appreciated.

Edinburgh

On what authority? Exeter was just a decade ago seen as another Loughborough. Edinburgh has been great for centuries.
I don't think you should choose based on how prestigious it is. But I would say Edinburgh is more prestigious.

Which course do you like more?
What campus?

(You answered those two in your op I think.) Which one is more important. How often do you need to go home? What about the social life?
Have you been to visit both? Although that might be quite hard to do.

Are you a troll?

Clearly not on UCAS points, alumni, research, awards
On what authority? Exeter was just a decade ago seen as another Loughborough. Edinburgh has been great for centuries.

Exeter has been great for decades - Edinburgh may have been great once - it is no longer. Many students I know have left because they hated it.

Incidentally, there's nothing wrong with Loughborough - it has a good reputation for Engineering and offers a well-reegarded year in industry programme.
Exeter has been great for decades - Edinburgh may have been great once - it is no longer. Many students I know have left because they hated it.

Incidentally, there nothing wrong with Loughborough - it has a good reputation for Engineering and offeres a well-garded year in industry programme.

I noticed you tried this on with another university (Nottingham) in the past also. What is wrong with you?
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Are you a troll?

Clearly not on UCAS points, alumni, research, awards

I think you are the troll on this thread :biggrin:

Edinburgh has lost its lustre.
I noticed you tried this on with another university (Nottingham) in the past also. What is wrong with you?

Nothing - your knowledge is clearly not as extensive as mine as I spend a lot of time supporting students with UCAS and visiting unis as part of that.

I'm flattered that you have bothered to read my posting history - perhaps you are interested in the past which is where Edinburgh belongs now.
Nothing - your knowledge is clearly not as extensive as mine as I spend a lot of time supporting students with UCAS and visiting unis as part of that.

I'm flattered that you have bothered to read my posting history - perhaps you are interested in the past which is where Edinburgh belongs now.

Resorting to sheer speculation again? I attended UCL.

Edinburgh is the only university that could possibly catch UCL in the £1 billion a year annual income category, as well as in the World rankings. Not to mention the £1.5 billion they plan to spend on teaching.
Resorting to sheer speculation again? I attended UCL.

Edinburgh is the only university that could possibly catch UCL in the £1 billion a year annual income category, as well as in the World rankings. Not to mention the £1.5 billion they plan to spend on teaching.

Sorry, where does the uni you attend come into it??

Exeter doesn't need to spend that money on its teaching - it's already great! Students should be focusing on the teaching and content of degrees and the place they are going to study -

For the degree the OP wants then Exeter is the better of the two.

Latest

Trending

Trending