Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am planning to take maths ,Physics and history HL
    Economics ,Spanish and English lan/lit sl

The school I am attending has English lan/lit as a requirement is this usually
    a requirement?

The dilemma I am having is whether or not to take biology instead of physics, and which is more sort after by top unis and is history sort after by unis?

Also any tips about the IB course in general would be helpful
    Im not sure what job or degree I want to go after,

ReputationRep:
    If you're not sure what degree you want to go for, then pick broadly.

It's also worth going onto the syllabi for each of your prospective IB subjects and taking a look to see whether or not you like the courses; there's still time to change. Alongside this, try looking at any courses that sound interesting on uni sites. Ask yourself questions like "am I into STEM or the humanities more?" and "am I prepared to take the workload for x subject?"

History is highly regarded by unis and can be used as a stepping stone into Law. That being said, it - along with Maths and Physics - is one of the hardest HL subjects you could have taken. There's a lot of course material that needs to be learned for it, and you'll find yourself writing a lot. Biology is easier than Physics, but again it depends on whether or not you're interested in the course itself.

ReputationRep:
    I understand you might not have picked which degree to apply for yet, but I would suggest you to think whether it's law related/business related[economics]/science related.

For law: no special subject requirements for most universities, history hl would be useful, you must english lit/lang and lit... Are you taking Spanish B? if you're from spain, consider taking another language course if your school offers or you can challenge yourself with a Spanish A [many universities especially from the UK reject people for choosing less challenging subjects like Language B. But if you're not from a country that speaks spanish, i think it's fine.

For economics/business: Maths HL if you're applying for economics, otherwise not really that much to say. one more thing, studying "Economics SL/HL" won't make you particularly understanding compared to other applicants other than showing you're interested in economics. Math HL is even more important tbh. many got an offer for econ without studying economics.

For science/medicine: 2 science subjects (you'd have to change history + economics) to something else. Yes, it's true that physics are generally harder than biology, because the concept is harder to grasp. But if you're really good at it and aren't that interested in memorizing terms, physics could be an option.

I study english literature (not lang lit) HL and History HL so I can provide a bit insights to you. An english A course is a requirement for IB, but it doesn't necessarily have to be English Language and Literature. It can be English Literature, which imo is a bit harder [read more books, analysis based..] For History HL, it's one of my hardest subjects tbh, and you just need to know a lot and write really fast [think very fast] in order to do well.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    thanks
    im English and don't speak Spanish so would it be considered ok for me to take it or would mandarin be better and do I have to take a language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetcutiepie)
    I understand you might not have picked which degree to apply for yet, but I would suggest you to think whether it's law related/business related[economics]/science related.

For law: no special subject requirements for most universities, history hl would be useful, you must english lit/lang and lit... Are you taking Spanish B? if you're from spain, consider taking another language course if your school offers or you can challenge yourself with a Spanish A [many universities especially from the UK reject people for choosing less challenging subjects like Language B. But if you're not from a country that speaks spanish, i think it's fine.

For economics/business: Maths HL if you're applying for economics, otherwise not really that much to say. one more thing, studying "Economics SL/HL" won't make you particularly understanding compared to other applicants other than showing you're interested in economics. Math HL is even more important tbh. many got an offer for econ without studying economics.

For science/medicine: 2 science subjects (you'd have to change history + economics) to something else. Yes, it's true that physics are generally harder than biology, because the concept is harder to grasp. But if you're really good at it and aren't that interested in memorizing terms, physics could be an option.

I study english literature (not lang lit) HL and History HL so I can provide a bit insights to you. An english A course is a requirement for IB, but it doesn't necessarily have to be English Language and Literature. It can be English Literature, which imo is a bit harder [read more books, analysis based..] For History HL, it's one of my hardest subjects tbh, and you just need to know a lot and write really fast [think very fast] in order to do well.

Hope this helps

thanks really helpful
    1 more quistion
    im English so I don't know Spanish and would it be ok for me to take Spanish or
    should I take mandarin (cant speak the language either)
    Is taking a language a requirement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattjuan)
    thanks really helpful
    1 more quistion
    im English so I don't know Spanish and would it be ok for me to take Spanish or
    should I take mandarin (cant speak the language either)
    Is taking a language a requirement?
    Taking two language subjects are an requirement for the regular IB diploma course. However, if you don't know either Spanish or mandarin, I think you can choose to take a language B course/Ab initio (only if you really don't know the language, like 0%) and just choose english A for the other one. (Taking two language As are only for those that university must suspect you are trying to make your course easy by choosing language B for a subject that you know, but since you don't know them, I think language B/ Ab initio is fine for you imo hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar question to yours and the universities I want to apply to are the same.
    I have the following subjects
    HL Cro A
    HL Eng B
    HL Ger B
    SL Math
    SL Economics
    SL Chemistry
    And in addition HL Psych. I do not have His in my school. Are these subjects all right? Plus do any extra curricular activities matter?
    Thank you😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBstudent02)
    I have a similar question to yours and the universities I want to apply to are the same.
    I have the following subjects
    HL Cro A
    HL Eng B
    HL Ger B
    SL Math
    SL Economics
    SL Chemistry
    And in addition HL Psych. I do not have His in my school. Are these subjects all right? Plus do any extra curricular activities matter?
    Thank you😊
    Hey 7 subjects?!? I think you have one extra language subjects, you should only have 2 for the regular course (two As or 1A 1B). What are you going to study in university? Depends where you apply, you have to do extra curricular activities, but i guess you have to do them anyway for CAS...

ReputationRep:
    Hey 7 subjects?!? I think you have one extra language subjects, you should only have 2 for the regular course (two As or 1A 1B). What are you going to study in university? Depends where you apply, you have to do extra curricular activities, but i guess you have to do them anyway for CAS...

Could I take two language A's (english lit/lan and English lit) Or would universities
    prefer me to take a language B initio aswell

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have one extra language,however should I take Eng A since I want to study Law at Oxford,King's,Imperial,UCL or Manchester?
    I have kindergarden volunteering and MUN for CAS

ReputationRep:
    Could I take two language A's (english lit/lan and English lit) Or would universities
    you can take 2 languages A for example German A and English A and you then get a bilingual certificate from the IB at least that's how it is in my school

ReputationRep:

2 language A is possible but not eng literature and eng language and literature. You can only choose one for english, and the other language A has to be something else, spanish, french...depends on the subjects your school offer

For example: I take Chinese Lit SL and English Lit HL.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have one extra language,however should I take Eng A since I want to study Law at Oxford,King's,Imperial,UCL or Manchester?
    I have kindergarden volunteering and MUN for CAS
    I am really confused with your extra language thing. I never heard people taking three language courses.. well tbh I think you need more activities for top unis like Oxford and UCL (good lnat)..

I don't think Imperial offers law... also if you want to study law, i think some good uk universities take subject choices into account (Ex: LSE, Oxford) .. History HL (or SL) is far better than economics/psychology. Also, it's unlikely to get an offer without English A as part of your selection.. If you want to study law in UK, you really have to take english A. hope that helps (im applying for law in this cycle so i know quite a lot about going to law in university )
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

I am really confused with your extra language thing. I never heard people taking three language courses.. well tbh I think you need more activities for top unis like Oxford and UCL (good lnat)..

I don't think Imperial offers law... also if you want to study law, i think some good uk universities take subject choices into account (Ex: LSE, Oxford) .. History HL (or SL) is far better than economics/psychology. Also, it's unlikely to get an offer without English A as part of your selection.. If you want to study law in UK, you really have to take english A. hope that helps (im applying for law in this cycle so i know quite a lot about going to law in university )
    You can take an extra language course as your 6th subject (because that one is for an Art subject but you can choose an additional subject from Groups 1 to 4)

IBstudent02 I agree with the above poster that you need to have more activities but make sure that those activities are supercurricular (related to your subject) and dont't focus too much on other extracurricular activities (unless you really enjoy those activities then go ahead ) Make sure to have a lot of wider reading about your subject (Law/Jurisprudence etc...) Taking English A (Lit or Lit/Lang) would definitely be helpful but if you really couldn't then an essay subject would be imperative (like History if it is taught in English). Economics is fine... Psychology is fine as well... but having an essay subject and making sure your grades are mostly are all 7s and 6s is the most important course of action imo.

ReputationRep:

Ok,I am going to do debate too,plus volunteer at a lawyer's office for a month,also I go to MUN conferences and am going to a competition in German (Nationals),I also volunteer with the International Woman's Club,volunteered at Eurobasket,will volunteer at the Handball Championship and have German and French outside of school
    As for History,I am unable to take it because my school does not offer it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    You can take an extra language course as your 6th subject (because that one is for an Art subject but you can choose an additional subject from Groups 1 to 4)

IBstudent02 I agree with the above poster that you need to have more activities but make sure that those activities are supercurricular (related to your subject) and dont't focus too much on other extracurricular activities (unless you really enjoy those activities then go ahead ) Make sure to have a lot of wider reading about your subject (Law/Jurisprudence etc...) Taking English A (Lit or Lit/Lang) would definitely be helpful but if you really couldn't then an essay subject would be imperative (like History if it is taught in English). Economics is fine... Psychology is fine as well... but having an essay subject and making sure your grades are mostly are all 7s and 6s is the most important course of action imo.
    Thanks for the reply,I will probably take Eng A since I do not have History at my school and I have other extracurricular activities as mentioned in my prior answer which you can see and maybe give me some more advice
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Ok,I am going to do debate too,plus volunteer at a lawyer's office for a month,also I go to MUN conferences and am going to a competition in German (Nationals),I also volunteer with the International Woman's Club,volunteered at Eurobasket,will volunteer at the Handball Championship and have German and French outside of school
    As for History,I am unable to take it because my school does not offer it
    Yeah you are fine on the extracurriculars part. Just make sure you do some wider reading around law like "The Concept of Law" etc... Also make sure that you do well on the LNAT and get good grades. Good luck - your other subject choices are ok imo.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you are fine on the extracurriculars part. Just make sure you do some wider reading around law like "The Concept of Law" etc... Also make sure that you do well on the LNAT and get good grades. Good luck - your other subject choices are ok imo.
    Would it better if I took Two Language As or a language A and b but the language B would be an Intio
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Spoon££££)
    Would it better if I took Two Language As or a language A and b but the language B would be an Intio
    If the language A is Mandarin... I wouldn't do it :lol:

but it depends on whether you are good at your second language or not and what you want to do in university. Generally only one language A is needed and all my friends who are taking two language As regret it so I would suggest taking a Language A and a Language B even if it is ab initio.

ReputationRep:
    If the language A is Mandarin... I wouldn't do it :lol:

but it depends on whether you are good at your second language or not and what you want to do in university. Generally only one language A is needed and all my friends who are taking two language As regret it so I would suggest taking a Language A and a Language B even if it is ab initio.
    A lot of people take only one Language A,but if you are good at the other one it is good to take it because you get a bilingual certificate but really depends on the person
    Btw do you have any tipps about the lnat?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.