How do you eat enough calories of healthy food? Watch

LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm trying to get leaner but don't want to lose too much muscle. I find it so hard to eat enough chicken, brown rice and broccoli to consume a calorie intake that would sustain muscle. Am I fighting a losing battle? Is it one or the other?
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You've made the mistake of eating "clean". There's more to life than chicken, broccoli and brown rice. Eat more variation and eat easier to eat stuff like white rice is a lot easier to eat than brown

Posted from TSR Mobile
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What he said ^

But mostly healthy fats, some coconut oil, an avocado and a handful of nuts goes a long way
LavenderBlueSky88
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Angry cucumber)
You've made the mistake of eating "clean". There's more to life than chicken, broccoli and brown rice. Eat more variation and eat easier to eat stuff like white rice is a lot easier to eat than brown

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was a slight exaggeration lol I do eat "normal" meals aswell (still healthy but the odd takeaway or meal out) I just don't want to get into bad habits of snacking all the time.

I've lost 4kg since Xmas - hopefully it isn't all muscle
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Snacks aren't a bad thing so long as it's not like chocolate and crisps. I have breakfast, morning snack, lunch, dinner, tea and couldn't get my calories in any other way without eating crap, it'd be too much at once. I have to plan what I'll eat each meal otherwise I'll under eat based on my appetite not being enough to sustain my weight.

To be harshly honest, you probably don't need that many calories and just need to shut up and eat. There is a point at which eating isn't fun and you eat because you have to not because you are hungry, you just get used to it.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
I'm trying to get leaner but don't want to lose too much muscle. I find it so hard to eat enough chicken, brown rice and broccoli to consume a calorie intake that would sustain muscle. Am I fighting a losing battle? Is it one or the other?
Angry cucumber has this - a healthy diet consists of more than three foods repeated ad infinitum. What you've chosen are healthy choices, but there's a lot more equally healthy ones which you can incorporate into your diet. How about other fruits and vegetables, lean fish, even lean red meat... Wholegrain cereals and starches such as potatoes etc.

Have you heard of the Eatwell plate? It's a graphic representation of what a healthy diet should look like, and you can find it here:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/...ell-guide.aspx

You should aim to eat a reasonably high protein intake from a variety of good lean sources, but you don't need to go overboard - you need less protein per day than you probably think to stay in nitrogen balance, even during weight loss.
username2769500
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You need to eat a lot of fatty meat
Tom_88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Blend oats and chuck them in with your protein shake.
Alexa1994
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tom_88)
Blend oats and chuck them in with your protein shake.
Indeed protein are best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads