How to revise creatively for maths GCSE?

Watch
Butev
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This is my first post so I hope it's in the right place.
I've realised since starting revision that I work best when I revise creatively, by illustrating my notes, organizing my work by colours, creating mind maps, etc. But I can't figure out a way to do this for my maths GCSE, which is what I need to improve upon the most. When I sit down and try to read the methods and remember them or try questions, I remember nothing. Anyone know any way to get around this? Thanks!
thekidwhogames
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't do any mind maps. This is what you should do and what I did to achieve well in Maths GCSE mocks (238/240). Not here to brag as I was terrible in year 7. Anyhow:

1) Learn all the content:
- grab the CGP books (revision guide, exam practice, grade 9 targetted)
- get mathswatch login from teachers
- get access to internet and these sites (hegartymaths, examsolutions, mathswatch, random youtube videos)

2) Watch and learn:
- start from beginning, i.e. LCM
- watch all the videos on LCM from (mathswatch, hegartymaths, random youtube videos)
- do all the CGP questions on the 3 books (revision guide, exam practice book, grade 9 targetted)
- do random google videos on it (random worksheets)
- do this for all gcse topics

3) Prepare:
- once you learnt everything, do ALL the work sheets topics on mathsgenie, justmaths, the CGP books, TES resources etc
- do all the GCSE papers ever (for AQA, Edexcel, OCR; all 3)
- do all the specimens you can get (for all of AQA, OCR, Edexcel)
- do CrashMaths papers
- do Churchill papers
- do the CGP papers they have

At this point, you will begin averaging 78-80. That's it. You know Maths GCSE. Then you do other subjects/A Level Maths.

Hope I helped!
thekidwhogames
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Butev)
This is my first post so I hope it's in the right place.
I've realised since starting revision that I work best when I revise creatively, by illustrating my notes, organizing my work by colours, creating mind maps, etc. But I can't figure out a way to do this for my maths GCSE, which is what I need to improve upon the most. When I sit down and try to read the methods and remember them or try questions, I remember nothing. Anyone know any way to get around this? Thanks!
Don't make mind maps and stuff. Do this. This is exactly what I've done to do well in Maths (scoring 238 in the mock). I wasn't doing well in year 7 so this really helped.

1) Get ready:
- get mathswatch login from teachers
- buy the CGP revision guides/exam practice/grade 9 targeted book for your spec
- purchase Churchill maths papers (now or later)
- prepare list of youtube/websites (mathswatch, hegartymaths, mathsgenie, examsolutions, corbettmaths, random youtube videos)

2) Learn all the content:
- start from beginning, lets say LCM
- watch all the videos on LCM of ALL those youtubers/websites + watch random videos (the more you know = the better)
- do all the questions relevant to that topic on all 3 of your CGP guides)
- do the justmaths worksheets relevant to that topic
- google and complete random worksheets relevant to that topic from sites ie TES/ pixie maths
- repeat for all GCSE topics

3) Practice:
- re-do all the justmaths sheets
- do every single GCSE maths past paper (AQA + Edexcel + OCR - DO ALL!)
- re-do every question in your CGP guides
- do all the Churchill maths papers
- do all the CGP papers
- do all the specimens from AQA/Edexcel/OCR (all 3)

You will start averaging 79-80. Any mistake would be simple, not lack of learning.

This entire process (from beginning) can be completed in under a month if you work hard. You go time so I say let's go! Hope this helped!
Butev
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for replying! I guess what you say makes sense, but that form of revision doesn't work well for me. I have a lot of coursework for art and computing and other subjects to revise for so I don't think I could complete it in a month. I do some of those things already and it helps a little but I find it hard to concentrate without any creativity, even if maths isn't the most creative subject.
Rakkidoesscience
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Butev)
Thanks for replying! I guess what you say makes sense, but that form of revision doesn't work well for me. I have a lot of coursework for art and computing and other subjects to revise for so I don't think I could complete it in a month. I do some of those things already and it helps a little but I find it hard to concentrate without any creativity, even if maths isn't the most creative subject.
Flashcards are my way to go , I try to compress all the revision guides main information into a flash cards for every topic I learn And shuffle them . For every flashcard I pick I need to find a exam question and answer it(not creative but you have to get used to the questions) . After doing about 15 questions , get a sheet of paper and do notes or record a video of yourself explaining what you've learnt .thats my approach .tbh excelling at maths requires you to do lots of questions so you can't miss that. Make sure you have a revision guides with lots of question and examples I recommend 9-1 CGP
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.85%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.53%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (36)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.94%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise