The Student Room Group

Feel weak and useless because of my height

Scroll to see replies

You can't change it so why get upset about it just be happy and confident in yourself.
Original post by Anonymous
I already feel weak and useless being a 5ft female (in terms of physical strength etc) but something my bf said made me realise other disadvantages. We were talking about dogs and how someone he knows makes quite a lot from walking dogs and i said that i wouldnt mind dog walking that its a good back up plan etc. My bf said 'yea it would be hard for you to get work at your height as owners want to know the walker can protect the dog if another dog grabs it' he said that his mate who hires dog walkers told him that.

It annoys me as i really do feel useless as a short female. Im studying physiotherapy and heard the other week that in msk people are more likely to want to see a strong/male physio as they can move limbs better/apply more force to soft tissue etc. Through my childhood i kind of prided myself on being strong like i used to win arm wrestles, be good at climbing etc but now i feel that people just see me as weak and useless. Just wanted to rant/or get advice really as it does bother me.

Imagine how a 5ft guy would feel.

There are really very few disadvantages to being a 5ft tall woman. Being seen as 'cute' and a bit innocent is probably something you just have to accept. A strong personality will make people respect you.

The dog walker stuff is BS. Ok maybe walking a Great Dane might not be feasible but smaller and average sized dogs would be fine.

Protecting a dog from other dogs? LOL. Plenty of average sized men couldn't deal with an aggressive dog. Carry a pepper spray if you really think it is necessary.
Original post by karl pilkington
You can't change it so why get upset about it just be happy and confident in yourself.

Factually incorrect.
Original post by stefano865
Factually incorrect.

I meant height
Original post by karl pilkington
I meant height

Cosmetic leg lengthening surgery is possible.
There are plenty of short women who are powerful - eg MPs. The trick is to just decide what you want to do and go out there and do it. Don't waste time worrying about unimportant things. Everyone can find something to obsess about to give themselves an excuse for not trying. If you're tall you're too visible, got curly hair it's not fashionable so you can't speak ion public, failed your French GCSE you're not clever enough to go for the job etc etc.

Life is too important not to do something to help others and yourself. It's not what you look like but what you think and do that makes the difference.
Original post by Anonymous
I already feel weak and useless being a 5ft female (in terms of physical strength etc) but something my bf said made me realise other disadvantages. We were talking about dogs and how someone he knows makes quite a lot from walking dogs and i said that i wouldnt mind dog walking that its a good back up plan etc. My bf said 'yea it would be hard for you to get work at your height as owners want to know the walker can protect the dog if another dog grabs it' he said that his mate who hires dog walkers told him that.

It annoys me as i really do feel useless as a short female. Im studying physiotherapy and heard the other week that in msk people are more likely to want to see a strong/male physio as they can move limbs better/apply more force to soft tissue etc. Through my childhood i kind of prided myself on being strong like i used to win arm wrestles, be good at climbing etc but now i feel that people just see me as weak and useless. Just wanted to rant/or get advice really as it does bother me.

I'm 5'3, my dream is to be a horse physiotherapist, but i'm always being questioned whether I'm not too small to work wiht horses, 'cos you know, theyre big, and your tiny'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending