The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Union Society - FAQs

Hello All,

I just wanted to clarify a couple of things about the Union Society which seem to have become confused. I should, however, admit to a conflict of interests - I am a member of the DUS Exec...though would like to think I'm not too odd...

1. It is not the same at the Durham Students Union (DSU) - each Durham Student is a member of this and pays no subscription. The Union Society (DUS) is a Student Society which you can join but are not obliged to!

2. The Union has in the past been criticised as being excessively 'cliquey' - this was undoubtedly true and deserved. It is, however, changing - do take a look at the website, or come along to our stall at the Freshers Fair. It is changed - though I'm not sure how to prove this!

3. In response to another thread 'Student Union and Masquerade Ball' you cannot pay a couple of quid to attend certain Debates - Debates are (with exception of the year's first) members only.

4. The Union does debate and hold debates but it is not a Debating Society. It also hosts celebrity addresses, forums and social events. All of our members have access to all of these things.

5. The Masquerade Ball and the Freshers Ball are very different. The Maquerade Ball is similar (and cheaper than many) College Summer and Winter Balls - it provides food and drink.

If you have any other questions please do get in touch at [email protected] or take a look at our website - www.dus.org.uk.

Best wishes and enjoy Freshers Week,

Ian Chapman
Durham Union Society
Reply 1
Are you having your Masquerade Ball at Auckland Castle again?

I work there and worked there for the DUS Ball last year.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Yes the Ball is back at Auckland again this year - it really is an amazing place.

Ian
I'm looking forward to coming back and sitting in on random and interesting debates post formal and pre Planet.

Latest