The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Help me choose a college please :)

Apparently we need to apply to the COLLEGE not the university, and I will be applying very soon but I do not know what college to put down!!

So... could someone give me a few suggestions?

A little about myself:

I have been going to a boarding school for years, so I am used to sharing rooms and bathrooms (but to be honest, I would really like a room to myself).

I am not a shy person, but neither am I a party animal. I like my sleep and quiet time :smile: Also I dont drink.. which I am worried might stop people liking me at uni :frown:

I love alternative rock music (not metal though), so is there a specific uni where the rocksoc people go? Prob not, but worth asking.

Oh, and I am terrible at sport lol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well ive just been to look around today and theres a few things uve got to think about first-

-catered or self catered (mostly all catered at durham)
-older historic college or newer modern college
-location? if you are doing a sciece subject and want to be close by then there are the hill colleges like grey and collingwood. or if you want to be central then there are the bailey colleges. and then there is hild and bede which is neither.
-other than that if you can go and have a look round

Also read the faq at the top of this forum
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Have a peek around: http://www.dur.ac.uk/colleges/

It's tough to get a feel for each college just from it's website, but have a look and see if any college stands out for any reason.

PS: Van Mildert is awesome. But everyone will tell you that their college is the best... :smile:
Reply 3
OP, there are hundreds of threads which cover this topic, it's been done to death! Use the 'search' function and read some threads before starting a new one.
Reply 4
also, you apply to the university. You also apply to a college (using the campus code on UCAS). If you don't know what college to apply to, just go for an open application.
and please, next time, try using the search.
Reply 5
Aula
also, you apply to the university. You also apply to a college (using the campus code on UCAS). If you don't know what college to apply to, just go for an open application.

Thank you Aula, I'm glad I'm not the only one to be frustrated by the number of lazy threads :smile:.
Reply 6
Aula

loggins
Thank you Aula, I'm glad I'm not the only one to be frustrated by the number of lazy threads :smile:.

Hahahahahaha....

This happens year on year, so if you're going to be TSR Durham regulars you've got to just get used to it and not get too annoyed. Realise that some people have never ever used forums before and don't realise they can search, etc. so they just rush into starting a new thread with their questions.

Instead of just saying "Try the search" it would also be helpful to actually find the thread for yourself (I believe there is a lot on colleges in the FAQ) and provide a link to the person asking the question :smile: Of course, you don't need to do this, it's just nice to.

But don't get angry/frustrated by it, it'll just twist you around the bend too much, and you don't want that :biggrin:
Reply 7
ditto on the comments about search :wink:

but in addition...
-note that your course department will accept you to the uni, then either your chossen college or a more empty one will have to take you in.
-everywhere is fairly close to walk between(colleges, science site, city centre), just don't go for one of the two colleges in stockton(queens campus) unless your doing a subject there (because thats 30-40mins away)!
-open applications (where you let your department choose) are awesome! (though I'm glad I didn't end up in a catered only college)
jazznaz
Have a peek around: http://www.dur.ac.uk/colleges/

It's tough to get a feel for each college just from it's website, but have a look and see if any college stands out for any reason.

PS: Van Mildert is awesome. But everyone will tell you that their college is the best... :smile:

Hey I'm interested in doing Chemistry at Van Mildert College..I know this is guna be a tricky question to answer, but whats your favourite bit about the college i.e what makes it stand out for you?
Reply 9
Everyone will hate you if you don't drink the alcohol.

Someone tried not drinking the alcohol last year.

He got lynched, and literally pumped so full of the alcohol that it started coming out of his eyes.
FFS, "will not drinking stop people liking me?"

What do you HONESTLY think? Do you think universities are literally 100% full of alcoholics who choose their friends and social circles based on how much alcohol they comsume?

For god's sake, I can understand you're worried, but "will it stop people liking me?"

No offence, but grow up a bit.
Reply 11
I know of a few people already at Durham who go on bar crawls and they don't drink(alcohol) but even have a good time (and probably don't wake up at 4am in an undesirable or unknown place).
Reply 12
Jonny Fezro
Hey I'm interested in doing Chemistry at Van Mildert College..I know this is guna be a tricky question to answer, but whats your favourite bit about the college i.e what makes it stand out for you?

A certain 'Je ne sais qua'... :p:
Reply 13
On the drinking thing (and really ANY other factor that you think makes you stand out from anyone else)....I can honestly say that:

IF THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT YOU THAT YOU FEEL IS "NOT NORMAL" YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH BET ON IT THAT THERE WILL BE SOMEONE ELSE IN THE SAME SITUATION GOING TO BE AT UNIVERSITY WITH YOU!

Why? BECAUSE there are 12,000 students at Durham....if you think you're the ONLY person who doesn't drink, then you're wrong. Within my own friendship group I know SEVERAL people who don't drink (either don't drink much or don't drink at all) so don't worry about it.

But this is other factors too. There was this guy in my year at Trevs, wore loads of goth gear - massive boots, long black coat, spikes, and that random stuff. And guess what? There was a girl like that too. They got together in first year, and were together when they graduated in 3rd year. Random story, but it fits its purpose :biggrin:
also to prove everyones point. im going to be applying to durham at the same time as you, and to be honest i dont drink much. due to some really bad experiences in the past. so dont worry if were gonna be outcast we can do it together.
Also if anyones funny with you for not drinking. id say they were immature iddiots with big problems, we are given free will for a reason.
dont let twits make you feel you need to conform.
i also love alternative rock muisc. haha
twwwins
Reply 16
The best thing about Mildert is the fact that it's mint. Truefax.
Pick one from the following:
1. Awesome bar with ale
2. Really good live music scene and recording studio
3. Pretty lake with ducklings
4. No shared rooms and nice accomodation (now that Hatfield are conveniently filling up Wear)
5. Really good, non stuck-up atmosphere with oodles of student participation
6. We're all really,really sexy people.
Reply 17
arkbar
The best thing about Mildert is the fact that it's mint. Truefax.
Pick one from the following:
1. Awesome bar with ale
2. Really good live music scene and recording studio
3. Pretty lake with ducklings
4. No shared rooms and nice accomodation (now that Hatfield are conveniently filling up Wear)
5. Really good, non stuck-up atmosphere with oodles of student participation
6. We're all really,really sexy people.

Awesome bar with ale
Well, it's an OK bar, and happens to be the most expensive :wink:

Pretty lake with ducklings
Pretty? It's a big cement hole which used to be a car park until they realised that it was in such a ditch that water just collected in it. That's what I heard anyway?

We're all really,really sexy people.
Have you looked in the mirror lately?

Heeheh....though in all seriousness, Mildert is our friendly college sibling. I got on well with plenty of people from Mildert, love 'em to bits :biggrin:
Reply 18
Well, it has more ale taps than any other college (at least 3 always on), Trevs only has 1 handpump irregularly on :p:

Yep that's the story of how it exists, this does not,however, make it anly less aestheticallly pleasing in the winter when it's all iced up and the ducks are sliding across it.

I have looked in the mirror lately Kev, and was very glad it wasn't you staring back :p:
Reply 19
arkbar

I have looked in the mirror lately Kev, and was very glad it wasn't you staring back :p:

Next time you're at the mirror I dare you to say "dobbs" three times. I'll then appear at the mirror, climb through it and eat your liver.

Actually maybe not your liver, I don't like liver.

Well, do it anyway, I'll see what I fancy when I get there. Though not between the hours of midnight and 9am, as I tend to be asleep then.

Oh and not 10am-12pm as I have a driving lesson and it would be a bit of a pain to get out of that.

1pm-2pm are out as I watch Scrubs then. And have my dinner.

Afternoon and Evening are good though. Maybe not 7pm-8pm as I'll probably be having my tea.

Tell you what, give me a call before you do it and I'll let you know if I'm free. If not, I'll check the ol' diary to see when I can fit you in :smile:

Latest