thelegend_786
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi I am a GCSE student and i am about to take my GCSES very soon. I have a couple of problems. I have my GCSE exams soon and I haven't started revising for a few of the subjects. Furthermore, i haven't made notes for all of my subjects,whereas all of my friends have. I don't know how to revise for GCSE english lit and language. Anyone got any tips or advice on how to revise english lit and language? Your response will be very much appreciated,thank you !
isobel_07
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thelegend_786)
Hi I am a GCSE student and i am about to take my GCSES very soon.I have a couple of problems. I have my GCSE exams soon and I haven't started revising for a few of the subjects Furthermore, i haven't made notes for all of my subjects,whereas all of my friends have. I don't know how to revise GCSE english lit and language. Anyone got any tips or advice on how to revise english lit and language. Your response will be very much appreciated.
I haven't really stated revising either, but i looks like we are in the same boat as i really need to revise for english too. So what I'm going to do is find as many past questions as i can and answers them in the time limits for the english lit and lang. Also I've been looking at model answers from past papers and i find them useful to see how they achieve those top marks.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
thelegend_786
Rep:
?
(Original post by isobel_07)
I haven't really stated revising either, but i looks like we are in the same boat as i really need to revise for english too. So what I'm going to do is find as many past questions as i can and answers them in the time limits for the english lit and lang. Also I've been looking at model answers from past papers and i find them useful to see how they achieve those top marks.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Ok I might do past papers and look at model answers too.
isobel_07
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ok I might do past papers and look at model answers too.
(☞゚∀゚)☞ coolios
pearlapis
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi I am a GCSE student and i am about to take my GCSES very soon. I have a couple of problems. I have my GCSE exams soon and I haven't started revising for a few of the subjects. Furthermore, i haven't made notes for all of my subjects,whereas all of my friends have. I don't know how to revise for GCSE english lit and language. Anyone got any tips or advice on how to revise english lit and language? Your response will be very much appreciated,thank you !
For english lit, make sure you know the texts inside out and back to front. Read
them, read them again, whenever you get the chance. Get a secure understanding of the precise events of each text. Also might be useful to revise the key themes & motifs and the most important quotes from each text.

Try looking on getrevising for any notes that you're missing from each subject, and see if there are any revision videos or playlists on youtube. Revision videos helped me ever such a lot with my maths and science GCSEs.

Good luck, and make sure you don't go OTT with revision- get a good balance between studying and relaxing, and prioritise your mental and physical wellbeing over anything else.
thelegend_786
Rep:
?
(Original post by pearlapis)
For english lit, make sure you know the texts inside out and back to front. Read
them, read them again, whenever you get the chance. Get a secure understanding of the precise events of each text. Also might be useful to revise the key themes & motifs and the most important quotes from each text.

Try looking on getrevising for any notes that you're missing from each subject, and see if there are any revision videos or playlists on youtube. Revision videos helped me ever such a lot with my maths and science GCSEs.

Good luck, and make sure you don't go OTT with revision- get a good balance between studying and relaxing, and prioritise your mental and physical wellbeing over anything else.
Thank you, to be honest I do not want to read the texts fully but could I just read the story shortened in revision guides?
rm.25
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mr Bruff = answer to all english lang/lit revision questions (he's an english teacher on youtube, really helpful videos)
Jwmusic
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Genuinely when I was doing English GCSEs, I read the papers, the non tabloids. They teach you how to structure a good essay, so past papers and revision wise just do what you can. Do not Kill yourself revising and burn out befor your exams, this could be worse than not revising at all.
chocochip_
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Okay firstly, do not worry about not starting your revision yet. Take it from someone who did their GCSES last year. It does not matter whether you start your revision tomorrow or next month. All that matters is how effective your revision is. You do not need to be putting in 6 hours of stress and work in to your subjects if during those hours you're only going to get half an hour worth of work done; therefore I reccommend you start revising in short burts (use a pomodoro timer.) For example, 25 minutes worth of work and then an hour break. This ensures that for every 25 minutes you spend working you're getting 25 minutes worth of content in your brain. I got an A in English language and I got an E for it in my year 11 mock! For language, I would strongly reccomend going through loads of youtube videos for poems and use them as a means to pick out analytical points. From there, I would not use the teachers or the internet sources or the person in the videos interpretation of the point. I would instead try analysing it for yourself so you can develop the skill rather than just meaninglessly copying down someone else's words. I also reccomend (after you've annotated every poem your exam board requires you know and practice on a few unseens.) To do many essays as you can, essay after essay after essay until it becomes second nature so that when you're sitting the exam it's easier as you've gotten to grips with the structure of your answers. Also, make sure you ask your teachers to mark every essay you do (or if they're lazy look for a website online, anyone you know who has a proffession to do with the subject, or any online tutor.) Once they've done that go on 'examiners comments' and the mark scheme (your best friends). Now for English literature I got a B in it but I have a reasonable excuse, my phone rang during the exam and i was so worried i couldn't concentrate on the paper eeekk hahaha!! So I'm assuming they want you to remember quotes off by heart? What books are you studying?
thelegend_786
Rep:
?
(Original post by noor.m)
Okay firstly, do not worry about not starting your revision yet. Take it from someone who did their GCSES last year. It does not matter whether you start your revision tomorrow or next month. All that matters is how effective your revision is. You do not need to be putting in 6 hours of stress and work in to your subjects if during those hours you're only going to get half an hour worth of work done; therefore I reccommend you start revising in short burts (use a pomodoro timer.) For example, 25 minutes worth of work and then an hour break. This ensures that for every 25 minutes you spend working you're getting 25 minutes worth of content in your brain. I got an A in English language and I got an E for it in my year 11 mock! For language, I would strongly reccomend going through loads of youtube videos for poems and use them as a means to pick out analytical points. From there, I would not use the teachers or the internet sources or the person in the videos interpretation of the point. I would instead try analysing it for yourself so you can develop the skill rather than just meaninglessly copying down someone else's words. I also reccomend (after you've annotated every poem your exam board requires you know and practice on a few unseens.) To do many essays as you can, essay after essay after essay until it becomes second nature so that when you're sitting the exam it's easier as you've gotten to grips with the structure of your answers. Also, make sure you ask your teachers to mark every essay you do (or if they're lazy look for a website online, anyone you know who has a proffession to do with the subject, or any online tutor.) Once they've done that go on 'examiners comments' and the mark scheme (your best friends). Now for English literature I got a B in it but I have a reasonable excuse, my phone rang during the exam and i was so worried i couldn't concentrate on the paper eeekk hahaha!! So I'm assuming they want you to remember quotes off by heart? What books are you studying?
Thanks for the advice. The books I am studying are :Insepctor calls,Macbeth and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (486)
33.29%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (607)
41.58%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (299)
20.48%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.66%

Watched Threads