The Student Room Group

Should pepper spray be permit legal in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AishaGirl
It would be a good thing.

Seriously?
Original post by cbreef
Seriously?

Of course, people deserve the right to be able to defend themselves. I wouldn't go so far as to carrying guns but pepper spray really is not unreasonable.
Of course, people deserve the right to be able to defend themselves. I wouldn't go so far as to carrying guns but pepper spray really is not unreasonable.

No no. The Islamic morals thing.
Original post by ILoveExo
Taking up some martial arts or krav maga for the matter... hehe. :smile:

Haven't seen Krav Maga around really though that would require you to be rather strong I would think since I'm sure there is a lot of grappling and related actions which rely on strength. Though not a problem if you train yourself well. Any martial art is good really unless it's some weird one that a single guy teaches. Also best way to defend yourself is to just run.
(edited 7 years ago)

Yes it is unreasonable, it'll be either abused or bloody expensive to maintain and take up so much time and you can't control the damage. If you want to feel safe without being able to fight back then just bloody run and don't wear high heels.
Original post by Vikingninja
Yes it is unreasonable, it'll be either abused or bloody expensive to maintain and take up so much time and you can't control the damage. If you want to feel safe without being able to fight back then just bloody run and don't wear high heels.

Run faster than a man?
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Say it with your chest- you want to turn the UK Muslamic

lol'd
Original post by cbreef
Run faster than a man?

Well if you actually want to defend yourself without putting any ****ing effort in then you can just do some exercise regularly by joining an athletics club... Or by just actually doing some exercise with jogs, sprints in the morning or whatever you want. Strangely enough but when you train yourself in something, you are better in it than a person who doesn't.
No point. Any criminal worth pepper-spraying is unlikely to come up to you and ask you for your stuff, they'll probably just knock you out and rob you, that or threaten you with a knife, and if it's the knife you don't really want to be fighting back in case you miss.
Original post by Vikingninja
Well if you actually want to defend yourself without putting any ****ing effort in then you can just do some exercise regularly by joining an athletics club... Or by just actually doing some exercise with jogs, sprints in the morning or whatever you want. Strangely enough but when you train yourself in something, you are better in it than a person who doesn't.

Yes, but men are naturally significantly more powerful.
Original post by cbreef
No no. The Islamic morals thing.

What? Islamic way of life is the best way of life in my opinion :h:
I just carry pepper in my bag. It's great on chips :smile:

You can still defend yourself without pepperspray.

Slapping should work well.
Original post by cbreef
Yes, but men are naturally significantly more powerful.

And again if you train yourself in a specific area then you will be better than most people in that, most men will not have trained themselves in athletics so the point of being naturally stronger is invalid.
There are other choices you can use instead. When I went to a self defence class the lady told me to always have deodorant on me so if something happened, I could just spray it in the person's face and then run for it.

My grandma's more adventurous than I am though and she takes out a spray of chilli water (but she doesn't like in the UK)
Even with all those things removed you'd still have crime and people attacking others.

Crime will always happen if a criminal wants it to... Ultimately the cons outweigh the pros though, as has been explained by others in the thread
Guns are licensed for things like sport, and for people like farmers. If you put ''I want to shoot burglars'' down on your shotgun license application, it's going to get refused. Pepper spray isn't useful for sport (clay pigeon spraying, anybody?) so it's sole purpose is for use in a fight or other violent situation.

I think that before using guns as a comparison, you should be aware that guns are not officially licensed for self-defence purposes in the UK either. Carrying a licensed gun in public with the intention of using it as a weapon, rather than sport or for (a legal) job, is possibly illegal under offensive weapon legislation, even if it would have been allowed under the firearms act.

Fyi, (iirc) an illegal offensive weapon is anything carried in public and is designed or intended to be used as a weapon (technically including things like keys or umbrellas, if they could prove that you only had it with you to attack somebody with).
Also, personally, I think that legalising pepper spray would be incredibly stupid. All it takes is a change of wind direction and the person using it could just as easily blind themselves (which is possibly why the police don't use it, except as a last resort, despite often being in violent situations when it could be legally justified). Also, people get drunk and fight each other, attack people and rob people already. Why make it easier for them to get their hands on weapons like that? And would the cost of regulating all of this be worth the benefits?

I think we'd just end up with a lot of people who would have been robbed or stabbed who instead managed to spray themselves, and then got robbed or stabbed (or sprayed by their attackers) instead.
I wouldn't stop at pepper spray for self defence. Nothing stops a criminal like a 12 bore to the stomach.
These fists woot , not really llu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending