The Student Room Group

Which universities class as being in London?

Does anyone knows of the classifications of if a uni is considered to be within London or not when applying for the maintenance loan? If it is right on the outskirts for example, does it still qualify as living in London?
(edited 7 years ago)
Depends. What is the universty? Off the top of my head, I would say Middlesex, Brunel, Royal Hollaway are all in London. Hertfordshire would be pushing it.
Contact them for a list.
>> :google: <<
Original post by Abmatsoo
Does anyone knows of the classifications of if a uni is considered to be within London or not when applying for the maintenance loan? If it is right on the outskirts for example, does it still qualify as living in London?

Apparently the info is not easily available so contact sfe or the unis you are interested in. SFE are the ones to confirm though. Posy it on the sfe section.
Original post by Abmatsoo

As above, you need to contact your university and ask. All I could find was a definition used by the Home Office for evaluating international students applying for a visa (see below). It is possible that SFE use the same definition, but check with the university to be sure.

You will considered to be studying in London if you are studying at the University of London, or if the majority of your study (more than 50% of your study time) is at a site or sites situated wholly or partly within the area comprising the City of London and the Former Metropolitan Police District. "Former Metropolitan Police District" means:

(i) Greater London, excluding the City of London, the Inner Temple and the Middle Temple
(ii) In the county of Essex, in the district of Epping Forest - the area of the former urban district of Chigwell, the parish of Waltham Abbey
(iii) In the county of Hertfordshire - in the borough of Broxbourne, the area of the former urban district of Cheshunt, the district of Hertsmere, in the district of Welwyn Hatfield, the parish of Northaw
(iv) In the county of Surrey - in the borough of Elmbridge, the area of the former urban district of Esher, the boroughs of Epsom and Ewell and Spelthorne, in the district of Reigate and Banstead, the area of the former urban district of Banstead.

Quick Reply

Latest