The Student Room Group

psychology entry requirements

I was thinking of going to Edinburgh uni;
at the moment I'm taking maths, biology, psychology and textiles (predicted C, B, A, A) but I want to drop maths
my dad thinks universities look down on a textiles a level, Do you think he's right?
Original post by sophie.mia
at the moment I'm taking maths, biology, psychology and textiles (predicted C, B, A, A) but I want to drop maths
my dad thinks universities look down on a textiles a level, Do you think he's right?

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=view&code=C800

At a glance, maths is a must for Edinburgh in your situation (see the A-levels section)

In general textiles is probably not a preferred subject (I think it falls into that category for LSE for example) for the top, top unis, and that may or may not be the case for Ed but you won't meet the entry reqs if you don't have maths.
Original post by sophie.mia

Textiles isn't useful psychology and won't be seen as a useful indicator of how well you will do in psychology, so he's right in a way. Also, as the above poster points out, if you look at the Edinborough entry requirements, you need two of maths, biology, chemistry or physics to just satisfy the minimum requirements. Strangely they don't include psychology as one of the science a levels if you should take.
If you have your heart set on Edinburgh, then maybe dropping Textiles is a better option. However, it's important that you enjoy your subjects else you won't do as well- and it's the grades that count the most.

For example, some people double take when I say I do Politics, Classics and English for A2 and have all my offers for Psychology (Cardiff, St. Andrews, Glasgow, Sussex, Warwick). I know a girl who got an offer from Cardiff with Drama, English and Textiles. Just make sure you check out the universities entry requirements pages! Good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest