The Student Room Group

Economics AS EDEXCEL 2017 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

For the university fees cut question, did anyone else draw a diagram representing a maximum price?
Original post by wolfie3
Im talking about the 10 marker about rational behaviour? That's where I said about e cigs being addictive and contains nicotine so it wont be rational
That's what I'm talking bout aswell lol
Original post by nisha.sri
I did the exact same thing !! :frown:

How many marks do you think we will lose? I'm aiming for60+ so I really
Don't want to lose many marks 😬😬
Original post by RevisionGuide
That's what I'm talking bout aswell lol

Yeah I put two evaluative points one of em was that one but no didnt talk about information failure
With the whole drawing a -ive externality in production thing, if you're analysis was about production of cigarettes then you're probably fine, I did the same.

If not, then you may lose a couple application marks, as long as analysis is correct, when it comes to referring to diagram in analysis but nothing dramatic. Plus you can pick those up elsewhere
For the university fees cut question, did anyone else draw a diagram representing a maximum price?

yeh, they gave a whole page of lines i was so confused
Original post by wolfie3
Yeah I put two evaluative points one of em was that one but no didnt talk about information failure
For the rational behavior question, I just talked about asymmetric information, prices of the two in relation to utility maximisation and I also mentioned elasticity of tobacco briefly. Also how people may achieve greater satisfaction from tobacco rather than e-cigs due to a sense of self control.

I did a downward shift in the maximum price as the £9k was already a max so £6k was just a lower max
Original post by Washermashen
How many marks do you think we will lose? I'm aiming for60+ so I really
Don't want to lose many marks 😬😬
was this for the gov intervention in cigarette markets? if so what type of intervention did you talk about
Original post by EconAyo
I did a downward shift in the maximum price as the £9k was already a max so £6k was just a lower max
yh I defined max prices as price ceilings below the market equilibrium, and showed that on a diagram (lower prices signal/incentify consumers to enter a market and increases demand) Then I put the government would have to provide subsidies to meet the excess demand and achieve an equilibrium. I kinda went a bit further that you needed to lol
was this for the gov intervention in cigarette markets? if so what type of intervention did you talk about

Ad valorem tax, minimum price and education schemes to reduce information failure
Reply 191
I ****ed the 15 marker fams. I thought -1.9 was inelastic and based my analysis and evaluation on that. I done ****ed up. Apart from that though it wasn't bad
Original post by -GIA-
I ****ed the 15 marker fams. I thought -1.9 was inelastic and based my analysis and evaluation on that. I done ****ed up. Apart from that though it wasn't bad

lol legend, dw i saw an examplar answer where someone did a major mistake like that and they still got some analysis marks
Original post by Washermashen
Ad valorem tax, minimum price and education schemes to reduce information failure
If you talked about an indirect tax on production, you won't lose any marks for using a diagram showing external costs, as taxes affect both consumption and production. A tax on production can be 'pushed onto' consumers if the good is inelastic (which it is). So yh I think you'll be fine.
I might do question 6a-g first for the macro exam as that's where most of the marks come from. Then I'll do section A last. Do you guys think this a good or bad idea?
I might do question 6a-g first for the macro exam as that's where most of the marks come from. Then I'll do section A last. Do you guys think this a good or bad idea?

Same, Im thinking of doing that too however I feel like section A kinda gets your brain working and its the easiest marks in the paper.
Reply 196
Phew i really ruined that, was majorly messed up by timing....what do you guys think the boundary for a D out of the 80 marks on that paper will be...sooo gutted I knew the content just didnt get a chance to put it down smh
Original post by wolfie3
Same, Im thinking of doing that too however I feel like section A kinda gets your brain working and its the easiest marks in the paper.
Section A is normally really easy to get full marks in (my aim was to only spend 15mins on this section, however ended up spending 20-25mins on it which was the time I lost for the 15 marker). You can gain a lot more marks in the 20marker and 15 marker, rather than spending ages thinking about a 1 mark question/3mark question.
Section A is normally really easy to get full marks in (my aim was to only spend 15mins on this section, however ended up spending 20-25mins on it which was the time I lost for the 15 marker). You can gain a lot more marks in the 20marker and 15 marker, rather than spending ages thinking about a 1 mark question/3mark question.

Same !! :frown: However this time it meant it cut into my 20 marker question but oh well. I'll think about it in the weekend but yeah I think its good because you're not going to feel the pressure when doing the 20 marker and 15 marker
Original post by wolfie3
Same !! :frown: However this time it meant it cut into my 20 marker question but oh well. I'll think about it in the weekend but yeah I think its good because you're not going to feel the pressure when doing the 20 marker and 15 marker
I had 30mins left in the , so I skipped the 15 marker and did a really good 20 marker instead, and then went back to the 15 mark that left me with 10 mins left where I did a short intro, my first paragraph, a diagram and like 3 lines of counter balance lmao. I should definitely get a few marks, whether its 6 or 7 marks :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending