lawmanqq1999
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I applied to Oxford (Wadham) for Law and got rejected post-interview. I am predicted 44 at IB, got 9A*s and an A at GCSE. I had a great PS (all teachers and guidance counselors thought so anyways) but my LNAT was only 25. My interview feedback wasnt largely negative, mostly had the tone of intense competition, so I feel like my less competitive LNAT score edged me out of the running.

I have all other offers, and have firmed Kings (Bristol as insurance) but I feel like I really had a shot at Oxbridge. Im hoping to get some good grades, and reapply.

I was thinking maybe Cambridge this time round, but is this a stupid idea because its a little bit more competitive? Plus im not even sure ill be making the grades :/ Is this a feasible idea? and if anyone has more advice i'd love to hear!
auburnstar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ok so your grades are good (I say good because Law is quite competitive), your interviews it seems were at least fairly good but your LNAT was relatively poor. Did your feedback say anything else or give any more specific advice - you can email them for more info.

First thing, if you meet/exceed standard offer (esp if you exceed it) for IB (which is I think 40) then you can consider reapplying. However, you're going to have to improve your LNAT score. Did you practice enough for it this time? Do you know which section(s) let you down? Are you confident you can do better with more practice? And even if interview feedback was good, you still need to do quite/very well in these for a subject like law (something like 9/10 interview score I saw as an average from someone's feedback).

The LNAT and interview practice, however, can come later. For now, just focus on ace-ing the IB. When you get your results, if you get above 40 give it a shot as you never know and may regret not doing so (and there's not much to lose if your gap year is well-planned).

You'd need to do a gap year for Cambridge so you'd have to plan something. There are some law internships, I hear these are fiercely competitive to get into though. Perhaps volunteering with a charitable law organisation, think tank, or similar could be good? If you're applying for the Law Studies with the Abroad option obviously travelling and improving a target language is excellent. BUT you don't need to think about this until after results.

Best of luck
cyl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lawmanqq1999)
I applied to Oxford (Wadham) for Law and got rejected post-interview. I am predicted 44 at IB, got 9A*s and an A at GCSE. I had a great PS (all teachers and guidance counselors thought so anyways) but my LNAT was only 25. My interview feedback wasnt largely negative, mostly had the tone of intense competition, so I feel like my less competitive LNAT score edged me out of the running.

I have all other offers, and have firmed Kings (Bristol as insurance) but I feel like I really had a shot at Oxbridge. Im hoping to get some good grades, and reapply.

I was thinking maybe Cambridge this time round, but is this a stupid idea because its a little bit more competitive? Plus im not even sure ill be making the grades :/ Is this a feasible idea? and if anyone has more advice i'd love to hear!
Hey, I also interviewed at Wadham for Law and was rejected. In your feedback, did they give you your interview score and the score they gave the essay section of your LNAT?
lawmanqq1999
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by cyl)
Hey, I also interviewed at Wadham for Law and was rejected. In your feedback, did they give you your interview score and the score they gave the essay section of your LNAT?
Nope they just gave me feedback about how I did in my interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lawmanqq1999)
IB 44 would certainly be competitive for Cambridge, and you would have the Cambridge Law Test instead of LNAT.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...y-requirements

But KCL is an excellent university.

See what happens on Results Day, then decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads