Can I get pregnant even with morning-after-pill?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Argh, on day 18 of my cycle (last Sunday, few days after supposed ovulation), my boyfriend ejaculated by masturbation. We went to shower together afterward, he cleaned his penis quite thoroughly (though I know it doesn't necessarily help) but he got hard again and we ended up having unprotected sex for a bit. He didn't ejaculate inside of me again, but I am well aware of the possibility of pre-ejaculate, especially since I don't think he peed after his last ejaculation.

A few hours later I took Levonelle, the morning-after-pill. I did not experience any symptom except for fatigue. It has now been exactly a week and I still don't feel anything (except excessive sleepiness this morning but I don't know if that's out of the ordinary). I have no PMS even though my period is due in 4 days, and I can already predict that my period will not come on time.

*The night before he entered me briefly as well, but it was short and he definitely did not ejaculate.

I'm not sure what I should do now. Is it likely I am pregnant? When should it be possible to take the test to know? I'm really scaring myself by reading forums with people saying the pill failed on them - I really doubt the 95% efficacy ....
PandaWho
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Argh, on day 18 of my cycle (last Sunday, few days after supposed ovulation), my boyfriend ejaculated by masturbation. We went to shower together afterward, he cleaned his penis quite thoroughly (though I know it doesn't necessarily help) but he got hard again and we ended up having unprotected sex for a bit. He didn't ejaculate inside of me again, but I am well aware of the possibility of pre-ejaculate, especially since I don't think he peed after his last ejaculation.

A few hours later I took Levonelle, the morning-after-pill. I did not experience any symptom except for fatigue. It has now been exactly a week and I still don't feel anything (except excessive sleepiness this morning but I don't know if that's out of the ordinary). I have no PMS even though my period is due in 4 days, and I can already predict that my period will not come on time.

*The night before he entered me briefly as well, but it was short and he definitely did not ejaculate.

I'm not sure what I should do now. Is it likely I am pregnant? When should it be possible to take the test to know? I'm really scaring myself by reading forums with people saying the pill failed on them - I really doubt the 95% efficacy ....
For a start stop having unprotected sex and you wont have this problem. Sort out contraception

But if you took the morning after pill so soon its very un likely you will be pregnant.
And your period will most likely be late either because your worrying - stress can delay periods - or because of the morning after pill IF in deed you are late.

But take a test in a couple of weeks if you still havnt come on, but i really dont think you will be pregnant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
unprinted
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It primarily works by delaying ovulation. As you'd (very probably) already ovulated, it won't have done much, but it didn't need to - if he came inside you on the day you ovulated, you'd still only be looking at a 50-50 chance of becoming pregnant. Four days later and with him not coming inside you, it's much less likely.

It is likely to mess up when you next have a period. If it hasn't come in a week, the various pregnancy tests will start to be reliable... but they're very probably going to say 'not pregnant'.

In future, if you need to use emergency contraception, consider having an IUD fitted. They're more reliable and can be used as a long-term method of contraception.
Anonymous #1
If I remember correctly, the pill also works by making the uterus less suitable for implantation and can be taken at any point during the cycle. Is it true that it loses function post-ovulation? If I had known I would have considered alternatives :/ This was my first time having unprotected sex, and I don't want to be doing it again because the scare is immense. I very much regret doing it so soon after his prior ejaculation too. I'm crossing my fingers and desperately hoping for the best.
unprinted
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The combined pill also works that way, but the progesterone-only one works primarily by delaying ovulation and affecting the cervical mucus to help prevent sperm entering the uterus. You've had a dose of progesterone-like hormones, but obviously by that point it would have been a bit late to affect the mucus...

Again, because he didn't come inside you and you were some days after your probable ovulation, it's very unlikely that you're pregnant. People can go on about 'it only takes one sperm..' all they like, but even if your boyfriend was producing pre-***, any man with that level of sperm in a normal ejaculation would be labelled 'infertile'.

You'll feel better if you stop beating yourself up about this. You will doubtless use the memory of how you feel now in future in terms of not doing it again.
Goaded
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Before I started taking contraception I took the morning after pill twice and it delayed my following period, only way you can know if you're pregnant is take a test in a few weeks time but I wouldn't worry too much.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Goaded)
Before I started taking contraception I took the morning after pill twice and it delayed my following period, only way you can know if you're pregnant is take a test in a few weeks time but I wouldn't worry too much.
I wonder how late your period was?
Goaded
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wonder how late your period was?
first time by a week and second time three weeks, but it was taken at different times of my cycle.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Goaded)
first time by a week and second time three weeks, but it was taken at different times of my cycle.
Do you remember at which points of your cycle you took the pills?
Goaded
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you remember at which points of your cycle you took the pills?
One on the 8th and the other on the 20th.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.18%
I'm not sure (26)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.74%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.13%
I'm not a current university student (267)
47.34%

Watched Threads