The Student Room Group

I am bored with my job. Want to start a business, any advice?

Okay, so I am 29 and have been working in sales for god knows how long. I have never been a big fan of it, but up until now I have just stuck with it because I never had any idea what else to do. The pay isn't bad, but it's not great either, so I want to start focusing on something else.

I have always had a deep interest in Fashion, Travel and Cooking. At first I wanted to become a chef, but I hear the money is not great, and the hours too long. I then thought about Fashion, and have considered starting a clothing line/brand. At the moment the ideas are still vague, so I need to come up with what kind of designs and items of clothing to focus on.

The thing is, I have no idea how much it would cost to start a clothing line. I have zero business experience. I don't know or where to find out this information. I need to know exactly what steps to follow to succeed at this venture.

Do you have any advice or experience in this area, or know someone who has tried this and be successful?
Reply 1
Original post by Moneyboy1
Okay, so I am 29 and have been working in sales for god knows how long. I have never been a big fan of it, but up until now I have just stuck with it because I never had any idea what else to do. The pay isn't bad, but it's not great either, so I want to start focusing on something else.

I have always had a deep interest in Fashion, Travel and Cooking. At first I wanted to become a chef, but I hear the money is not great, and the hours too long. I then thought about Fashion, and have considered starting a clothing line/brand. At the moment the ideas are still vague, so I need to come up with what kind of designs and items of clothing to focus on.

The thing is, I have no idea how much it would cost to start a clothing line. I have zero business experience. I don't know or where to find out this information. I need to know exactly what steps to follow to succeed at this venture.

Do you have any advice or experience in this area, or know someone who has tried this and be successful?

I don't think starting a clothing line has a high capital cost - I see a lot of teenagers/young adults setting up their own clothing brands. Because of this though, it makes this a very competitive market so you will need to try to make your brand stand out and be a bit different. Paying for Facebook/Instagram to advertise your brand is a good idea and will get you a lot more exposure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending