Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A-Level German watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've just done my GCSE's and now I'm trying to decide which A-Levels I'm going to take next year.

I really don't know whether to take German or not. I enjoy the subject, my predicted grade is an A* (don't think I'll be getting this but, anyway...) and there is only one other person taking German AS next year, so it will almost be like private lessons. The only reason I'm unsure about taking it is that there are other subjects I want to take too and I'm not really sure if German is a very useful language nowadays or if it's a bit outdated and under used....

Any suggestions please?

ReputationRep:
    I think German is a useful language...it's the most widely-spoken first language in Europe I think, and it's one of the three official European languages. A lot of Germans are learning English, so if you speak German you'll be able to compete with them for jobs.

But I've been told AS-level is quite a step-up from GCSE. I did it at GCSE and got an A* but didn't carry it on. One of my friends got an A* too, and he was really good at it, but he ended up with a C at AS because he lost interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    I think German is a useful language...it's the most widely-spoken first language in Europe I think, and it's one of the three official European languages. A lot of Germans are learning English, so if you speak German you'll be able to compete with them for jobs.

But I've been told AS-level is quite a step-up from GCSE. I did it at GCSE and got an A* but didn't carry it on. One of my friends got an A* too, and he was really good at it, but he ended up with a C at AS because he lost interest.
    Yes, I've heard about the big step up too, but I'm sure that's the same case for most subjects as well.

The main thing is whether it will prove to be useful, as I don't want to take it and end up regretting it later, thinking that I could have done another more useful subject.

ReputationRep:
    What are you applying for at university, and what other subjects were you thinking of taking?

ReputationRep:
    What are you applying for at university, and what other subjects were you thinking of taking?
    Um, I have absolutely no idea what I'm goin to do at Uni, that's why the decision is so difficult!

For A-Level I *think* I'm going to take Bio, Chem and French and was originally thinking of taking English too - but now I am confused and not sure whether to replace English with German or something ... ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelibertines)
    Yes, I've heard about the big step up too, but I'm sure that's the same case for most subjects as well.

The main thing is whether it will prove to be useful, as I don't want to take it and end up regretting it later, thinking that I could have done another more useful subject.

I think German is one of the most useful subjects you can study at A-level. As was said before, it is the most widely-spoken European first language, so don't worry about it being under-used.

Yes there is a big step-up, there's no doubt about that. You definitely have to work hard but if you are predicted A* at GCSE then you will be fine. And it's true, there's quite a big jump from GCSE to A-level in most subjects.

Foreign languages are among the most respected subjects for universities and future employers, partly because it's so unusual to find people studying them in this country! It's also an actual skill which will probably come in useful later in your life - whilst I enjoyed my other subjects (music and English lit.), I can't really see myself using what I learnt to any great extent.

I've been to Germany and Austria several times and every time people have been absolutely astounded when I spoke German - they're just so unused to an English-speaker making an effort to learn their language! You are treated with a lot more respect if you make an effort and I even got some freebies just because I spoke German (although this probably isn't a reason to choose it as an A-level subject!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    I think German is one of the most useful subjects you can study at A-level. As was said before, it is the most widely-spoken European first language, so don't worry about it being under-used.

Yes there is a big step-up, there's no doubt about that. You definitely have to work hard but if you are predicted A* at GCSE then you will be fine. And it's true, there's quite a big jump from GCSE to A-level in most subjects.

Foreign languages are among the most respected subjects for universities and future employers, partly because it's so unusual to find people studying them in this country! It's also an actual skill which will probably come in useful later in your life - whilst I enjoyed my other subjects (music and English lit.), I can't really see myself using what I learnt to any great extent.

I've been to Germany and Austria several times and every time people have been absolutely astounded when I spoke German - they're just so unused to an English-speaker making an effort to learn their language! You are treated with a lot more respect if you make an effort and I even got some freebies just because I spoke German (although this probably isn't a reason to choose it as an A-level subject!).
    Yeah, thanks for the advice! The thing that was holding me back the most really is that I was under the illusion that it was an under-used language, so I'll definitely think about taking it now ... just have to see what I got for my GCSE's now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

agree with you completely, in that all subjects go a step up from GCSE to A level, but to be honest im not sure you will regret it as much as say any of the other alevels that you maybe taking.

in my case i did bio, chem, maths and german AS, and maths was useless after 2 weeks, as i was only going to do medicine, and german AS only really helped me talk a bit in the interview, but id never have known how many good friends i would have made from the exchange, still meeting up with them and also it may provide a change from, say doing science based subjects.

if however, u think that you will get bored of it very quickly not worth it, but i think thats the case with most Alevels... especially during A2 year, i doubt many people enjoy the subjects they are doing, rather they are working for the grades they need to get into uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerChing)
    agree with you completely, in that all subjects go a step up from GCSE to A level, but to be honest im not sure you will regret it as much as say any of the other alevels that you maybe taking.

in my case i did bio, chem, maths and german AS, and maths was useless after 2 weeks, as i was only going to do medicine, and german AS only really helped me talk a bit in the interview, but id never have known how many good friends i would have made from the exchange, still meeting up with them and also it may provide a change from, say doing science based subjects.

if however, u think that you will get bored of it very quickly not worth it, but i think thats the case with most Alevels... especially during A2 year, i doubt many people enjoy the subjects they are doing, rather they are working for the grades they need to get into uni.
    So, do you think it's a good idea taking it with the other sciences then?

ReputationRep:
    yeah its definitely ok, but then again im being biased, any humanity/language/arts subject makes a good change would be a more balanced view..

just depends on what your other alevel choices are and also what degree course you would be looking to enter..

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my GCSEs and am waiting for my results too. I am gonig to take german at AS/A2. I know it'll be a big step up but i know i love learning languages and when you can communicate with someone else it seems like so much of an achievement compared with when you get a maths equation correct! I enjoy german a lot which is one of the main reasons i am taking it, i know you should take subjects that are useful to you but you should also enjoy them. Do u enjoy german enough to stick with it fr another 2 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil !*!)
    I have just finished my GCSEs and am waiting for my results too. I am gonig to take german at AS/A2. I know it'll be a big step up but i know i love learning languages and when you can communicate with someone else it seems like so much of an achievement compared with when you get a maths equation correct! I enjoy german a lot which is one of the main reasons i am taking it, i know you should take subjects that are useful to you but you should also enjoy them. Do u enjoy german enough to stick with it fr another 2 years?
    Oh yeah our German lessons have always been great, and our teacher is really cool too.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah our German lessons have always been great, and our teacher is really cool too.
    Compared with your other choice? English was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil !*!)
    Compared with your other choice? English was it?
    Yup, I would say they were better than English lessons.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a really good idea...not only does it provide variety, but a lot of science/engineering students wanting to work abroad can go to Europe and not America if they speak a European language.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I would say they were better than English lessons.
    What are your reasons for not doing it then?! hehe, sounds like a good idea to me!

ReputationRep:
    AS-level is quite a step-up from GCSE.
    lost interest.
    I got an A* in French and an A for German but didn't carry either on because of those reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Deutsch als Leistungskurs ist schwierig. Aber auch kann es ganz lohnend sein. Ich machte Deutsch als A-Level und fand, dass es mich sicherer machte, weil ich mit anderer Leute einfacher sprechen konnte, und es gab mir die Faeigkeit vor Gruppen mit Sicherheit zu Sprechen.

Mit Abstand ist Deutsch einer der Beste Waehlen, fuer die man unterschieden koennte.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    Deutsch als Leistungskurs ist schwierig. Aber auch kann es ganz lohnend sein. Ich machte Deutsch als A-Level und fand, dass es mich sicherer machte, weil ich mit anderer Leute einfacher sprechen, und es gab mir die Faeigkeit vor Gruppen mit Sicherheit zu Sprechen.

Mit Abstand ist Deutsch einer der Beste Waehlen, fuer die man unterschieden koennte.
    Gut habe ich kein von das verstanden, deshalb habe ich es in ein freies Übersetzungsding und es noch nur Sorte von gewesen logisch gestellt.

ReputationRep:
    Um, I have absolutely no idea what I'm goin to do at Uni, that's why the decision is so difficult!

For A-Level I *think* I'm going to take Bio, Chem and French and was originally thinking of taking English too - but now I am confused and not sure whether to replace English with German or something ... ???
    i did bio chem german and Art at AS, by the end of my AS year i'd completely fallen in love with german and didn't want to take anything else. english literature however is an amazing subject..if you liked it at GCSE then consider it for A level as well

perhaps start off with all 5 and drop one when the pressure gets too much?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.