Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Some girl punched another girl for kissing her boyfriend. A group of girls followed one girl into the art block and kicked and punched her after the 'victim' slapped their friend because she was chucking cake at her (confused yet?).

One girl set the classroom's curtains on fire.

I've personally witnessed two cat fights miow :eek: !

And this is in a private girls' school!
    Wow, that's quite something. I wittnessed the odd ***** slap at my old crappy state but nothing like that. Can't put my finger on why, but it is amusing to think of these private school girls getting their claws into one another. Sometimes that can be better than behind back *****ing that goes on for weeks, do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz)
    Woah, girls at single-sex schools are violent? And I thought they couldn't rise above plain old *****iness!
    i dunno, i saw some really horrid cat fights, normally involving long nails (one girl had an absalutely shredded face) + good old slapping. recently a friend (still at the school) told me that 'x' got a broken jaw because 'y' got a group to go and attack her because apparently 'x' got off with 'y's' boyfriend at a party. this is another private girls school- there's nothing like a bit of class.

i think girls tend to be much more malicious and calculated. i don't think lads hold grudges in the same way.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    It is quite amusing (as long as you're not involved!) especially when you consider what the fights are about. It's normally about how some girl has kissed her best friend's boy friend who is a man-whore anyway.

There's also constant *****ing behind people's backs (much less so in 6th form though) and what's often common is that cliques decide to 'drop a member' and gang up on that girl (one clique even tied a member's hair in knots in an attempt to 'scare her away'). Those types of things are the most annoying and upsetting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i dunno, i saw some really horrid cat fights, normally involving long nails (one girl had an absalutely shredded face) + good old slapping. recently a friend (still at the school) told me that 'x' got a broken jaw because 'y' got a group to go and attack her because apparently 'x' got off with 'y's' boyfriend at a party. this is another private girls school- there's nothing like a bit of class.

i think girls tend to be much more malicious and calculated. i don't think lads hold grudges in the same way.

lou xxx
    finally someone who has shared the same experiences as me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Well, this has really opened my eyes - I thouht private school girls just liked to one-up one another - money, exam results etc nothing like that. I'm sorry you both had to grow up in such an awful environment - I can't believe the school didn't crack down on behaviour like that! I do remember an old fashioned witch hunt that went on in my school though - some *****y members of the christian union started labelling their enemies as witches and it spread over the whole town! Just like 'the crucible' really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    It is quite amusing (as long as you're not involved!) especially when you consider what the fights are about. It's normally about how some girl has kissed her best friend's boy friend who is a man-whore anyway.

There's also constant *****ing behind people's backs (much less so in 6th form though) and what's often common is that cliques decide to 'drop a member' and gang up on that girl (one clique even tied a member's hair in knots in an attempt to 'scare her away'). Those types of things are the most annoying and upsetting.
    yeah we had that as well- people seem to act like 5 year olds changing best friends every day + even the nicest people become right cows. do you get the groups of girls who look like oranges because they're on the sunbeds all the time? they were always the ones in the crews in my school. all girls private schools remind me of the way the class is split up in 'Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion' where there's the A team, the B team, the nerds etc.

(Original post by Lucy)
    there's nothing like rich spoilt girls! damn me for thinking my school was unique on the *****iness front. lol.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    But in the end if I would have had to make the choice again, I am positive I would still choose my school because in the end it got me my grades, I have experienced some really fantastic teaching, the facilities are fantastic (we even have our own gym) and I have been given so many opportunities (e.g. spending a month in Nepal).

Despite the atmosphere I try not to moan too much as I have been given the chance loads of kids would love to have, plus my parents worked their asses off and I don't want to seem ungrateful.

A witch hunt hey? Was it taken with a pinch of salt or was it quite bad?

ReputationRep:
    yeah we had that as well- people seem to act like 5 year olds changing best friends every day + even the nicest people become right cows. do you get the groups of girls who look like oranges because they're on the sunbeds all the time? they were always the ones in the crews in my school. all girls private schools remind me of the way the class is split up in 'Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion' where there's the A team, the B team, the nerds etc.

lou xxx
    Yes! There are definite fanatics of the sunbed present in the school. One girl got really peeved when people started commenting on her orangeness and she shouted 'It's fake tan dammit!'. There are those stereotypical cliques present in my school too but at least the 'misfits' see how trivial the 'A team' are, rather than being jealous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    But in the end if I would have had to make the choice again, I am positive I would still choose my school because in the end it got me my grades, I have experienced some really fantastic teaching, the facilities are fantastic (we even have our own gym) and I have been given so many opportunities (e.g. spending a month in Nepal).

Despite the atmosphere I try not to moan too much as I have been given the chance loads of kids would love to have, plus my parents worked their asses off and I don't want to seem ungrateful.

Its not just your school who had the opportunity to go to Nepal!!! I am at a regular comp school, and we have links with a school there. There was going to be a trek there last summer, but there was the murders of their royal family, so it was judged too dangerous, so it got changed to India. Then there was a threat of war there, so it ended up in Morocco. Although I couldn't afford to go, I know the people who went had some fantastic experiences!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    But in the end if I would have had to make the choice again, I am positive I would still choose my school because in the end it got me my grades
    i'd say exactly the same. my school had some amazing teachers, great facilities (we share a pool with the boys school run by the same governers + we also have a gym) and has consistently high results, oxbridge pupils etc. not everyone is as *****y as the 'crews', and some of the friends i made at the school are brilliant. you learn to avoid the troublemakers and we just laugh at their ongoing exploits now. i would choose the same school for myself because i know i can cope with it fine- but i know people who regret it deeply and would never dream of choosing it now.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Its not just your school who had the opportunity to go to Nepal!!! I am at a regular comp school, and we have links with a school there. There was going to be a trek there last summer, but there was the murders of their royal family, so it was judged too dangerous, so it got changed to India. Then there was a threat of war there, so it ended up in Morocco. Although I couldn't afford to go, I know the people who went had some fantastic experiences!!!
    This wasn't World Challenge was it? Because they completely rip you off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)

It should have been a pinch of salt job, but I live in a small, gossipy town where the adults are as bad as the children. It was serious in the end - whenever someone got hurt the ghastly 'christian' lot would blame it on the 'witches' It all seem perfectly rediculous now, but it makes you think... a few hundred years ago there would have been stake burnings over that! All for some silly unpleasent girls. I'm so glad I'm leaving! (going to uni in october)

ReputationRep:
    i'd say exactly the same. my school had some amazing teachers, great facilities (we share a pool with the boys school run by the same governers + we also have a gym) and has consistently high results, oxbridge pupils etc. not everyone is as *****y as the 'crews', and some of the friends i made at the school are brilliant. you learn to avoid the troublemakers and we just laugh at their ongoing exploits now. i would choose the same school for myself because i know i can cope with it fine- but i know people who regret it deeply and would never dream of choosing it now.

lou xxx
    I agree, for some people they just get swallowed up and can't cope with the atmosphere.

That's really awful the parents got into the witch hunt too! I'm sure Cam will be much much better, the atmosphere seemed great when I payed a visit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    This wasn't World Challenge was it? Because they completely rip you off!
    No no it was done through the school completely. Two of my teachers are really into outdoor sports and stuff, and wanted to make the most of our links with the Nepal school by going on a trek there. They did all the research themselves(into Nepal, then India, then Morocco), and all the organisation too. It was just that not only was there the airfare, I would have had to buy all my trekking equipment and stuff as well, and thats what I wouldn't have been able to afford.

ReputationRep:
    No no it was done through the school completely. Two of my teachers are really into outdoor sports and stuff, and wanted to make the most of our links with the Nepal school by going on a trek there. They did all the research themselves(into Nepal, then India, then Morocco), and all the organisation too. It was just that not only was there the airfare, I would have had to buy all my trekking equipment and stuff as well, and thats what I wouldn't have been able to afford.
    Yeah, good equipment is extremely expensive (luckily I've been re-using my stuff loads though). Our school re-evaluated the situation there aswell but declared it 'safe' - infact we went last summer! It was definitely the best experience I've ever had

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    I agree, for some people they just get swallowed up and can't cope with the atmosphere.

That's really awful the parents got into the witch hunt too! I'm sure Cam will be much much better, the atmosphere seemed great when I payed a visit.
    Yes - it's great, I can't wait! Will you apply there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Yeah, good equipment is extremely expensive (luckily I've been re-using my stuff loads though). Our school re-evaluated the situation there aswell but declared it 'safe' - infact we went last summer! It was definitely the best experience I've ever had
    I really wish I could've gone!!! Morocco sounded fantastic (and they got some great natural tans!). Quite a few people got very ill though, and since I seem to catch illness fairly easily it probably wouldn't have been nice!!!

ReputationRep:
    I actually plan to apply to Oxford (to the disgust of my best friend who is extremely pro-Cam!) but it was a close call in choosing between the two.

As for Morocco and trekking and such, majority of the group went down with diarrhoea, but I was one of the lucky two not to have gotten it! How long did they go for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    I actually plan to apply to Oxford (to the disgust of my best friend who is extremely pro-Cam!) but it was a close call in choosing between the two.

As for Morocco and trekking and such, majority of the group went down with diarrhoea, but I was one of the lucky two not to have gotten it! How long did they go for?
    They went for a month. Quite a few got dyssintry (dunno how you spell tha properly) and altitude sickness, though one of my friends actually got salmonella!!! I think mostly everyone got diarrhoea, due to the altitude and the heat. When they came back and were talking about the experiences, they were talking quite openly about their 'deposits' (like how runny or what colour!) and stuff it was quite worrying!!!

ReputationRep:
    They went for a month. Quite a few got dyssintry (dunno how you spell tha properly) and altitude sickness, though one of my friends actually got salmonella!!! I think mostly everyone got diarrhoea, due to the altitude and the heat. When they came back and were talking about the experiences, they were talking quite openly about their 'deposits' (like how runny or what colour!) and stuff it was quite worrying!!!
    Same with my group who went - for some reason the most talked about items were poo and food, but no one thought it was distasteful at all (even the teachers)! And as part of the medical team, common procedure was to ask about the consistency of such 'deposits'. Very weird (and worrying) but I guess useful (in medical terms)! Plus the girls from the group who went on to do Gold D of E seemed to have spread this habit amongst all the expeditioners.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.