The Student Room Group

Grade boundaries....

In my history mock that I sat in November apparently I got a U but I have since checked the grade boundaries and it says something completely different. I sat the OCR history B paper: Aspects of international relations and Germany 1918 - 1945.
Original post by JackT2000
In my history mock that I sat in November apparently I got a U but I have since checked the grade boundaries and it says something completely different. I sat the OCR history B paper: Aspects of international relations and Germany 1918 - 1945.

OK...what would you like us to do about that?
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
OK...what would you like us to do about that?

Hey you replied quick, I was just wondering what I should do? Because I don't think that my teacher marked the exam according to the grade boundaries and an E is a lot better than a U (still not great but better than complete failure)
Reply 3
Your college may have used internal boundaries made based on how everyone else did, or used generic ones like 80% = (grade), 70% = (grade) etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Zentox
Your college may have used internal boundaries made based on how everyone else did, or used generic ones like 80% = (grade), 70% = (grade) etc.

I know but I think that it should be marked according to the grade boundaries that are set by OCR because since November I have been thinking that I'm going to fail history
Hey you replied quick, I was just wondering what I should do? Because I don't think that my teacher marked the exam according to the grade boundaries and an E is a lot better than a U (still not great but better than complete failure)

The title of your thread popped up at just the right moment :smile:

Without knowing how it's been marked, it's impossible to tell. She might have done it using raw marks, some conversion between raw marks and UMS...who knows. The best thing to do is to ask your teacher how the mark was calculated and that you believe it is a pass and get her to explain it.

A large amount of teachers use incorrect grade boundaries. It's just something that you have to deal with.
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
The title of your thread popped up at just the right moment :smile:

Without knowing how it's been marked, it's impossible to tell. She might have done it using raw marks, some conversion between raw marks and UMS...who knows. The best thing to do is to ask your teacher how the mark was calculated and that you believe it is a pass and get her to explain it.

Ok thanks
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
A large amount of teachers use incorrect grade boundaries. It's just something that you have to deal with.

I know but I think it's wrong because when you apparently get a U it really makes you feel **** like why did I even bother when really I should have got an E. I've got months to improve still with my exam technique but even so I still think they shouldn't just make up their own because in the real exam it is based on the performance of the entire country
This is same to my school who doesn't use the official grade boundaries and use their own ridiculous and rubbish grade boundaries.

Quick Reply

Latest