The Student Room Group

LSE vs Trinity College Dublin

I'm an Irish student, and I'm after getting offers from LSE, Edinburgh University, KCL and UCL to study Philosophy Politics and Economics. Of course, I have options in Ireland as well, namely Trinity College, which has the advantage for me of being free of charge upon getting a government grant and a scholarship worth €6500 per year. I can, technically, carry the scholarship and grants over to the UK, but considering the £9250 tuition fees and immense costs of living in London, that would dry up pretty rapidly. Of all my offers, LSE is the most preferable, but is its prestige and debt worth it relative to TCD, where my own brother was left with more money than when he went in?!
Reply 1
I think it's worth risking a move to London, especially if you're holding offers from LSE and UCL. Yes it's true that the debt you'll have after uni is a bit off-putting and yes the living costs in London will be pricey, though I still believe that you'll be better off in London where not only are you going to a TARGET university, but you'll be more open to more internships/careers at big companies.

I must say, you are quite lucky to have a grant of that much; there are tons of other students who do move to London for uni bearing the burden of paying the full fees and accommodation costs yet still decide to go for it. So, I think you should take the risk as well but take some time to be 100% sure about your decision; don't have regrets! Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Jozanic
I think it's worth risking a move to London, especially if you're holding offers from LSE and UCL. Yes it's true that the debt you'll have after uni is a bit off-putting and yes the living costs in London will be pricey, though I still believe that you'll be better off in London where not only are you going to a TARGET university, but you'll be more open to more internships/careers at big companies.

I must say, you are quite lucky to have a grant of that much; there are tons of other students who do move to London for uni bearing the burden of paying the full fees and accommodation costs yet still decide to go for it. So, I think you should take the risk as well but take some time to be 100% sure about your decision; don't have regrets! Good luck!

I agree, the thought of debt is a little off putting, but I suppose from a strategic perspective a career with a far higher salary would pay off in the long run. Thanks for the advice!
Reply 3
Original post by r.murphy
I agree, the thought of debt is a little off putting, but I suppose from a strategic perspective a career with a far higher salary would pay off in the long run. Thanks for the advice!

No problem!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending