Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im doing bio medicine at leeds in dept. and don't know the cost of the course, I know tuition fees are roughly 1'500. Where does it tell us the coast of the course.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ_23)
    Im doing bio medicine at leeds in dept. and don't know the cost of the course, I know tuition fees are roughly 1'500. Where does it tell us the coast of the course.

Look for how much they charge international students.

In theory, given free-market economics that should be the cost of the course. In practise as the government does not provide enough funding per capita for UK students, it will be around 75% of that figure, making an educated guess

ReputationRep:
    I'm not international though...Where can I find the exact cost of a couse, particulally mine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ_23)

What do you mean by "the cost"? All you pay is tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ_23)
    I'm not international though...Where can I find the exact cost of a couse, particulally mine?
    Why do you need to know?

Ask them is about all that is open to you.
    You might be able to work it out if you can get a look at the departments budgets.

ReputationRep:
    So does Tuition fees cover the cost of the course? I'm sorry but im shite with finance, as u can tell :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ_23)
    So does Tuition fees cover the cost of the course? I'm sorry but im poor with finance, as u can tell :confused:
    Yes and No.

You are responsible for up to £1150 per year. The exact amount depends on you and your parents circumstances. No UK or EU student pays more than £1150 for next year.

If you pay less than £1150 your local LEA pays the university the remainder, again up to £1150.

It actually costs the universities far more per student to run their courses. The remainder of this is payed to them centrally by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) This money is dependant on various things, but you do not need to worry about it.

By now you should have applied to your LEA for student support and the student loan. They will notify you formally, of what you are liable to pay in terms of tuition. Assuming you are a UK or EU student, it will not be greater than £1150. You then recieve a student loan of between £3070 and £4095, provided you are not living at home, or in London. The amount depends again on you and your parents circumstances. Some people are also eligible for a Higher Education grant of up to £1000 from your LEA

All this excludes rent and food, which you should calculate seperately. You will need to check with your uni, how much rent will be.

ReputationRep:
    ^^Thank you very much, u've sorted my head out on this one.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.