The Student Room Group

Mmathematics Statistics

Hello,
Can someone please help me with this question, I am stuck at it. Thank you.
Tim has 3 possible tennis partners to team up with to play doubles: Greg, Andre and Pete. His results show that when he plays with Greg they win 40% of their matches, when he plays with Andre they win 70% of their matches and with Pete the figure is 80%. Tim plays a quarter of his games with Greg and three- fifths of his games with Andre.
a) Draw a tree diagram to represent this information.
b) Find the probability that Tim loses a match.
c) Find the probability that Tim wins a match, given that he has not been playing with Greg.
d) Given that Tim loses a match, find the probability that he has been playing with Pete.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mar2000
Hello,
Can someone please help me with this question, I am stuck at it. Thank you.
Tim has 3 possible tennis partners to team up with to play doubles: Greg, Andre and Pete. His results show that when he plays with Greg they win 40% of their matches, when he plays with Andre they win 70% of their matches and with Pete the figure is 80%. Tim plays a quarter of his games with Greg and three- fifths of his games with Andre.
a) Draw a tree diagram to represent this information.
b) Find the probability that Tim loses a match.
c) Find the probability that Tim wins a match, given that he has not been playing with Greg.
d) Given that Tim loses a match, find the probability that he has been playing with Pete.

Have you done any of it? Please post your working and clarify where you're stuck.
Reply 2
Original post by notnek
Have you done any of it? Please post your working and clarify where you're stuck.

I have no clue for this question, I dont know how to start it, there is four people. I am stuck really.
Reply 3
Original post by Mar2000
I have no clue for this question, I dont know how to start it, there is four people. I am stuck really.

First identify the events :

Event 1 : Choose a doubles partner (3 possible outcomes)
Event 2 : Win/lose the match (2 possible outcomes)

The two events will make up the two columns of your probability tree. So the first column will have three branches (Greg, Andre and Pete) and for each of those branches you'll have a win and a lose branch in the second column.

Does that help? Have a go at drawing the tree and please post it here if you get stuck or want us to check it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by notnek
First identify the events :

Event 1 : Choose a doubles partner (3 possible outcomes)
Event 2 : Win/lose the match (2 possible outcomes)

The two events will make up the two columns of your probability tree. So the first column will have three branches (Greg, Andre and Pete) and for each of those branches you'll have a win and a lose branch in the second column.

Does that help? Have a go at drawing the tree and please post it here if you get stuck or want us to check it.

Thank you, so with Greg will be 0.4 win and 0.6 Lose
with Andrew O.7 win 0.3 Lose
with Pete 0.8 win and 0.2 lose.
I dont understand what to do next which is 'Tim plays a quarter of his games with Greg and three-fiths of his games with Andre.
Reply 5
Original post by Mar2000
I dont understand what to do next which is 'Tim plays a quarter of his games with Greg and three-fiths of his games with Andre.

Am I thinking good with sample b?
Probability that Tim Loses an match is 9/25?
Thank you.
Reply 6
Original post by Mar2000

Have you tried drawing a tree?

What's the probability that a random game is chosen and it is with Tim? It must be 1/4. So your tree will have three branches in the first column with probabilities 1/4 for Greg, 3/5 for Andre and you can work out the probability for Pete.
Reply 7
Maths S1.docx
Original post by notnek

What's the probability that a random game is chosen and it is with Tim? It must be 1/4. So your tree will have three branches in the first column with probabilities 1/4 for reg, 3/5 for Andre and you can work out the probability for Pete.[/QUOT Am I right?
Reply 8
[QUOTE="Mar2000;70286174"]Maths S1.docx
Original post by notnek

What's the probability that a random game is chosen and it is with Tim? It must be 1/4. So your tree will have three branches in the first column with probabilities 1/4 for reg, 3/5 for Andre and you can work out the probability for Pete.[/QUOT Am I right?

Did you get my image?
Reply 9
[QUOTE="Mar2000;70286192"]
Original post by Mar2000

Did you get my image?

Question D)
Given that Tim loses a match, find the probability that he has been playing with Pete. How to find it?
Reply 10
Original post by Mar2000

Did you get my image?

Your tree is fine and b) is correct but c) isn't.

Here's a useful formula for conditional ( "given that" ) probability:

P(A given B) = P(A and B) / P(B)

So

P(Wins given that he has not been playing with Greg) =

= P(Not been playing with Greg and wins) / P(Not playing with Greg)

Does that help?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by notnek
Your tree is fine and b) is correct but c) isn't.

Here's a useful formula for conditional ( "given that" ) probability:

P(A given B) = P(A and B) / P(B)

So

P(Wins given that he has not been playing with Greg) =

= P(Not been playing with Greg and wins) / P(Not playing with Greg)

Does that help?

Do I understand it?
Part C)
P=(21/50+3/25)/ 9/25=3/2?
Reply 12
Original post by Mar2000
Do I understand it?
Part C)
P=(21/50+3/25)/ 9/25=3/2?

Nearly but I'm not sure where you got 9/25 from. You're looking for P(Not playing with Greg) i.e. what is the probability that a random game is chosen and it is not with Greg?

You should be able to tell your answer was wrong because 3/2 is greater than 1.
Reply 13
Original post by notnek
Nearly but I'm not sure where you got 9/25 from. You're looking for P(Not playing with Greg) i.e. what is the probability that a random game is chosen and it is not with Greg?

You should be able to tell your answer was wrong because 3/2 is greater than 1.

ohh yeah, I think that I started to understand this. Should be P(Wins)=(21/50+3/25)/0.75=18/25?
3/4=21/50+9/50+3/25+3/100 (Without Greg)
Reply 14
Original post by Mar2000
ohh yeah, I think that I started to understand this. Should be P(Wins)=(21/50+3/25)/0.75=18/25?
3/4=21/50+9/50+3/25+3/100 (Without Greg)

18/25 is correct for c).

I'm not sure what your second line is?
Reply 15
Original post by notnek
18/25 is correct for c).

I'm not sure what your second line is?

Ok thank you.
Any clue for d) please. Given that Tim loses a match, find the probability that he has been playing with Pete.
Reply 16
Original post by Mar2000
Ok thank you.
Any clue for d) please. Given that Tim loses a match, find the probability that he has been playing with Pete.

P( playing with Pete given that he loses ) = P( playing with Pete and loses ) / P(loses)
Reply 17
Original post by notnek
P( playing with Pete given that he loses ) = P( playing with Pete and loses ) / P(loses)

My answer is 4/3 so I know that it is wrong.
=(3/25+3/100+9/50+3/20)/9/25?
It gives 4/3.
Reply 18
Original post by Mar2000
My answer is 4/3 so I know that it is wrong.
=(3/25+3/100+9/50+3/20)/9/25?
It gives 4/3.

I'm not sure where you got those numbers from.

For P( playing with Pete and loses ), you just need to multiply along the bottom tree path so it's 3/20 x 0.2.

For P(loses) you need to add all of the paths that result in Tim losing.
Reply 19
Original post by notnek
I'm not sure where you got those numbers from.

For P( playing with Pete and loses ), you just need to multiply along the bottom tree path so it's 3/20 x 0.2.

For P(loses) you need to add all of the paths that result in Tim losing.

(3/20*0.2)/9/25=1/12?

Quick Reply

Latest