The Student Room Logo
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

frederizia
It's about 10 to 15 minutes from the bailey part of Cuth's. You cross the river and walk past the DSU, past the court and then it's by the racing course.

It's definitely do-able in less than 10 minutes. :smile: The furthest blocks of Hild Bede to Hatfield can be done in under 8 if you try (not running though! Just a good walking pace)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
About the PF accommodation, it's very different from the Bailey accommodation. On the Bailey you've got loads of shared (but massive rooms) and it's not really divided up in flats like Parson's Field is, you sort of identify yourself with the House you live in.
Parson's field is more modern (though PFC is a bit crap), you're either self or part-catered and if you live in Brooks you get en-suites and absolutely massive kitchens.

angelmxxx
It's definitely do-able in less than 10 minutes. :smile: The furthest blocks of Hild Bede to Hatfield can be done in under 8 if you try (not running though! Just a good walking pace)

I've done it in 10 minutes in heels :p:
Also does anyone know about the 'Durham Bubble'?
Apparently 'It's not real life, you'll learn about the "Durham bubble" :smile:'

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Reply 2523
NavyBlueAndPearls
Also does anyone know about the 'Durham Bubble'?
Apparently 'It's not real life, you'll learn about the "Durham bubble" :smile:'

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Durham is a fairly small place. Since you rarely escape it feels a bit like you're living in a bubble.
Reply 2524
Hiya, if I get an offer from Durham I definitely want a big party college :biggrin:
But I'm having such an episode about the possibility of having to share a room. Sharing a bathroom freaks me out big time, but at a push I could survive, but sharing a room I could not do. If you find out you are sharing, is there any way you could ask the college to reconsider?

Also, what are the policies on having people i.e. significant other, over to stay?
Thanks x
Meow7
Hiya, if I get an offer from Durham I definitely want a big party college :biggrin:
But I'm having such an episode about the possibility of having to share a room. Sharing a bathroom freaks me out big time, but at a push I could survive, but sharing a room I could not do. If you find out you are sharing, is there any way you could ask the college to reconsider?

Also, what are the policies on having people i.e. significant other, over to stay?
Thanks x

Which college, or have you made an open application? If you've made an open application and you're really against sharing a room (seriously, it's not that bad though) I suggest you as if you can be allocated to Van Mildert, given that other than Butler (which is self catered) it's the only college with no shared rooms. It's quite a big college too, so sounds right up your street. Bear in mind that you do get to choose whether you want to share or not, and although you may still have to share in most colleges I know it's only for one term (though I know at Aidans they keep the same room for the whole year so if you share you share all the time).

As for having people over, I know at Trevs it's fine as long as you ask the porters etc before hand (though I don't know exactly how it works) and I assume it's similar in other colleges.
Reply 2526
purple-girl
Which college, or have you made an open application? If you've made an open application and you're really against sharing a room (seriously, it's not that bad though) I suggest you as if you can be allocated to Van Mildert, given that other than Butler (which is self catered) it's the only college with no shared rooms. It's quite a big college too, so sounds right up your street. Bear in mind that you do get to choose whether you want to share or not, and although you may still have to share in most colleges I know it's only for one term (though I know at Aidans they keep the same room for the whole year so if you share you share all the time).

As for having people over, I know at Trevs it's fine as long as you ask the porters etc before hand (though I don't know exactly how it works) and I assume it's similar in other colleges.

Thanks for the information :biggrin: I sent an open application and just checked and my applicaiton is with Castle. Good stuff about having people to stay :smile:
Hiya!

I have a conditional offer for Anthropology - Castle college - for 2011 entry and I was just wondering if anyone knew what the catered accommodation (not en-suit) is like? Also, I'm interested to know what the atmosphere of the college is like.

Thanks!
--Amelia

P.S. - one last thing - if anyone knows a good link to some pictures to castle college accommodation - that would be great!
Hi there,
I was sent my official confirmation letter at the beginning of December, however I have not heard anything from the college, is this normal?
Hiya!

I have a conditional offer for Anthropology - Castle college - for 2011 entry and I was just wondering if anyone knew what the catered accommodation (not en-suit) is like? Also, I'm interested to know what the atmosphere of the college is like.

Thanks!
--Amelia

P.S. - one last thing - if anyone knows a good link to some pictures to castle college accommodation - that would be great!

Hi Amelia,

I'm a 2nd year in Castle and I lived in college last year (like 99% of freshers). I'm pretty sure the only en-suite accommodation in Castle is on the Norman Gallery. If you fancy one of those rooms, get on the exec! The rest of the accommodation is split between four other buildings - the rest of the castle, Bailey Court, Owengate and Moatside. Rooms in the castle are (to the best of my knowledge) quite big but usually double rooms, so you'd be sharing with someone. Bailey Court also has big rooms, but the building hasn't been done up for a while so it's a bit... tired. But pleasant enough. You get a nice big window if you're in a Bailey Court room. I don't think I ever saw an Owengate room so I can't tell you what they're like. Moatside is where most freshers live. The rooms are small (very small) but it was refurbished a couple of years back so everything's clean and modern and there's loads of storage space. Moatside's got a great atmosphere because all the rooms look out into a central courtyard and there's always something going on.

The atmosphere of the college itself is fantastic. Everyone knows pretty much everyone, so if you walk into the Undie or Klute (these places will soon become the centre of your universe) on any given night you're bound to find a friend.

That turned into a bit of an essay. Sorry about that. If you want to know anything else about living in Castle just send me a message. I'll PM you some pictures of Castle rooms, too.
hello :smile:
i've just got a quick question- roughly how long would it take to walk from durham station to grey college?- google maps says 40 minutes, but i don't know how much i trust it!
Reply 2531
Aleeece123
i've just got a quick question- roughly how long would it take to walk from durham station to grey college?- google maps says 40 minutes, but i don't know how much i trust it!

40 minutes sounds about right for a relatively leisurely walk, but you could shave a few minutes off if you walk fast.
Aleeece123

Could easily do it in 30 I'd say unless you got lost or walk slowly =)
Hey there,
I have a couple of questions and I'd be happy if a current student (or anyone) could answer them.

I got an offer for Combined Honours and I would like to study Politics, Psychology and IR through this degree. Is there any possibilty to spend some time abroad (preferably Asia or the US) with this combination? I checked the website and noticed that the Psych department has no international coordinator or whatever, so I thought it might not be possible for this subject.

Does Durham have a language training centre or something similar. I always noticed other universities always advertise theirs and I never heard anything about Durham. I would really like to improve my current language skills and probably try a new one (French? Russian?), but I don't want to do languages as a degree.

I'm also looking for some advice on this: I would really prefer to change colleges, because I got allocated to one that I don't feel very comfortable with. I'm just wondering if I did it the right way: I emailed my current college. The Website said the admissions tutor was gone until January 2010 and since it was still January I emailed to the general adress admissions@[college] of the college that I got allocated to. I think my email was very reasonable and I stressed that I don't want seem ungrateful. All my other emails to Durham were answered really quickly, but not this one.
Should I have contacted the colleges that I want to change to, not the current one? I'm just kind of worried, that if I wait much longer all the other colleges will be full :s-smilie:

Sorry for having so many questions.... :o:
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
To some degree yes, but they are still a shambles compared to most of the university (excluding SPA - but that is a special case of incompetance). The department are woefully understaffed too.

Looks like you used the wrong email address. http://www.dur.ac.uk/van-mildert.college/contacts/ I would contact their senior tutor myself for the change. Make sure you have good reasons. Mary's I probably wouldn't move to myself...

You mean the Admissions Secretary? That's the other adress I talked about, but she obviously was gone when I first sent the email. I resent it to her address now.

What's wrong with Mary's? And I take that you wouldn't advice anyone on studying Politics and IR in Durham? Then again it will only be half of my degree and it's the only university where I can combine IR and Psychology, that is why it is my first choice, too...
la_mariposa
You mean the Admissions Secretary? That's the other adress I talked about, but she obviously was gone when I first sent the email. I resent it to her address now.

No, senior tutor. Look up who it is in the University Directory and email them. Or just google van mildert senior tutor...

What's wrong with Mary's?

Lack of a proper bar, just seems dead in general.

And I take that you wouldn't advice anyone on studying Politics and IR in Durham? Then again it will only be half of my degree and it's the only university where I can combine IR and Psychology, that is why it is my first choice, too...

I am saying that the modules are reasonable, but at least for the near future (and possibly the length of your degree) you will have to put up with the poor staff student ratios and administrative chaos.

But on the other hand, both departments are academically light on their students. Swings and roundabouts.
la_mariposa

http://www.dur.ac.uk/van-mildert.college/about/staff/

Petra Points. Second email down.

And can I ask why you don't want to be at Mildert? Just wondering if there's anything I can reassure you about.
Reply 2537
la_mariposa

What's wrong with Mary's?.

Just to provide a more balanced argument, I would have to disagree with HMK. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Mary's; I'm a second year Mary's student, and I found it a welcoming, fun, incredibly diverse college, and would wholeheartedly encourage you to think about transferring there!

I actually transferred to it myself, after I got an offer from Aidan's, which I just didn't really feel was for me. In retrospect, it was one of the best decisions I've made; whether you talk to people from Mary's or people from other colleges, it's hard to find anyone who has a bad word to say about it... unless you talk to HMK, clearly...

If you've any more questions about it, I'd be happy to answer them!

Oh, and for reference, I emailed [email protected] to ask about the change.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo

I am saying that the modules are reasonable, but at least for the near future (and possibly the length of your degree) you will have to put up with the poor staff student ratios and administrative chaos.

But on the other hand, both departments are academically light on their students. Swings and roundabouts.

Are you studying Politics and IR? And sorry, but I don't really get what you're trying to say with your last sentence :o: Do you mean student's get good grades easily?

[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv]']http://www.dur.ac.uk/van-mildert.college/about/staff/

Petra Points. Second email down.

And can I ask why you don't want to be at Mildert? Just wondering if there's anything I can reassure you about.

Thanks, sorry for not knowing what what HMK was talking about, I'm not that familiar with the British uni system, especially not the college system and the who's who :o: It doesn't matter as I already got a reply from Mrs. Turnbull now.

Unfortunately the other colleges all already have filled their quotas :frown: I suppose there is nothing I can do now!?

I'm sure there is nothing particularly wrong with Mildert in general, I just had the feeling that it's probably not the most suitable college for me. :s-smilie: I really wanted be in a smaller and more traditional college. (preferably one on the Bailey of course, I'm a sucker for pretty architecture :rolleyes: ). Plus I haveto left feet when it comes to sports and that seems to be what Mildert is all about.

Taemon
Just to provide a more balanced argument, I would have to disagree with HMK. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Mary's; I'm a second year Mary's student, and I found it a welcoming, fun, incredibly diverse college, and would wholeheartedly encourage you to think about transferring there!

I actually transferred to it myself, after I got an offer from Aidan's, which I just didn't really feel was for me. In retrospect, it was one of the best decisions I've made; whether you talk to people from Mary's or people from other colleges, it's hard to find anyone who has a bad word to say about it... unless you talk to HMK, clearly...

If you've any more questions about it, I'd be happy to answer them!

Oh, and for reference, I emailed [email protected] to ask about the change.

Hey,
don't worry I found his arguments not so convincing anyways :s-smilie: I mean even if Mary's bar isn't the best in university, which I can't judge obviously, you're not limited to your college's bar as far as I know... :biggrin: A bar is always as good as the people you meet or already know there anyways :yep: Do you know if Mary's happen to have a student paper or debate? I couldn't find anything on their website but then again it took me quite long to find the activities offered at Mildert, too... :rolleyes: Do you have to share rooms at Mary's (that being probably the one positive thing I can see about Mildert at the moment... :s-smilie:)
Reply 2539
Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone could give me some insider info on what collingwood is like, or law at collingwood please?
Ive got an AAA offer but really need some help in decideing where to go!
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest