The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zenobia
Prices can be found here, for all colleges: http://www.dur.ac.uk/study/accommodation/costs/

I'd say I pay about half by living out.

good f***ing lord. Cheers for replying!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 3841
That looks steep but I think I worked out last year that overall they worked out at about the same, there are many many extra costs associated with living out wheras with College the rent is pretty much all you have to pay. Plus there are other advantages of college like the convenience which cant be quantified.
Reply 3842
Original post by Quagers
That looks steep but I think I worked out last year that overall they worked out at about the same, there are many many extra costs associated with living out wheras with College the rent is pretty much all you have to pay. Plus there are other advantages of college like the convenience which cant be quantified.

Depends where you live and what you eat.
I'm a vegetarian living in Gilesgate, so yes, I really do save about half the money.
Original post by Quagers

I'm self catering in JB, so I don't think it would cost me the same to live out lol. It was just easier, as I was in Lancaster until June, so I couldn't come up to Durham to find somewhere. It'll do for the year though. :redface:
Reply 3844
Original post by Zenobia
Depends where you live and what you eat.
I'm a vegetarian living in Gilesgate, so yes, I really do save about half the money.

Ahh well that's not exactly a typical situation, is it. I'm sure its possible to do living out much cheaper but I lived in Claypath last year, don't consider my spending extravagant, and it didn't really happen.
Reply 3845
Original post by Quagers
Ahh well that's not exactly a typical situation, is it. I'm sure its possible to do living out much cheaper but I lived in Claypath last year, don't consider my spending extravagant, and it didn't really happen.

Lol it's not that a-typical; Gilesgate is not the end of the world, there's lots of students living here. We have our own football team even : ) And if you just budget cleverly, it's easy to save loads of money.
Original post by Quagers

I went into my savings by about £300 last year, but last term I had nearly £200 left out of my loan. And I'm in the Viaduct.

although to be fair, rent on the same house is going up by £20/week next year, and I eat meat/fish maybe twice a week, if that. And the house is almost never warm enough. And I'm moving back into college next year, so I think the difference is worth it.
Reply 3847
Hey all! I have an offer to study English and have a few questions:

1. I'm an international student so I will be required to fly in a few days early. Do they have stuff for you to do during this time or is it just completely lame?
2. Any English majors willing to comment on the course. Pros/Cons? Which modules you enjoyed and others you didn't? How many hours a week you spend in lectures, doing research, ect? I've researched the course but I'd love some honest opinions from current students.
3. Is there any University College students willing to comment on their life in the college? I've been confirmed by Castle and am extremely excited, but it would be awesome if anyone could give more information than the website does.

Thanks in advance!! :smile:
Reply 3848
Original post by JPDub
Hey all! I have an offer to study English and have a few questions:

1. I'm an international student so I will be required to fly in a few days early. Do they have stuff for you to do during this time or is it just completely lame?
2. Any English majors willing to comment on the course. Pros/Cons? Which modules you enjoyed and others you didn't? How many hours a week you spend in lectures, doing research, ect? I've researched the course but I'd love some honest opinions from current students.
3. Is there any University College students willing to comment on their life in the college? I've been confirmed by Castle and am extremely excited, but it would be awesome if anyone could give more information than the website does.

Thanks in advance!! :smile:

1. Yes. And depends, different Colleges do different things. Some of my friends weren't too impressed but I had the best time ever! My College made me pay for staying in my room early though - wth, they made me arrive early!
2. Everyone I know loves it, especially the lvl 2 Old English and lvl 3 Old Norse have students from all over the university attending.
Reply 3849
Original post by Zenobia
1. Yes. And depends, different Colleges do different things. Some of my friends weren't too impressed but I had the best time ever! My College made me pay for staying in my room early though - wth, they made me arrive early!
2. Everyone I know loves it, especially the lvl 2 Old English and lvl 3 Old Norse have students from all over the university attending.

Thanks for the reply! :smile:
Hi :smile:
I have an offer for the sports degree next year and I was wondering if anyone could tell me any general information about it; How many hours a week you do, if there is much additional reading that sort of thing?
Thanks
Reply 3851
I have a question about the economics department:

Are there any Durham students studying/know someone studying economics? If so then what do you think of the course content and the lecturers? I would like to do a lot of maths in my economics degree but ive heard a few people say that Durham's economics degree isnt as mathematical as others such as Bath, UCL etc.

Thanks
Original post by helen93!!
Hi :smile:
I have an offer for the sports degree next year and I was wondering if anyone could tell me any general information about it; How many hours a week you do, if there is much additional reading that sort of thing?
Thanks

I don't do sport, but you can find out how many contact hours you'll have by going here:

www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook

Select 'applied social sciences' from the drop down list, then click on 'sport' and it will give you a list of the modules you'll take. If you click on the module codes, it will give you information about each module (content, how it's assessed, contact hours, etc).

I hope that helps!
Original post by mattj94
I have a question about the economics department:

Are there any Durham students studying/know someone studying economics? If so then what do you think of the course content and the lecturers? I would like to do a lot of maths in my economics degree but ive heard a few people say that Durham's economics degree isnt as mathematical as others such as Bath, UCL etc.

Thanks

There's one compulsory maths/stats module in 1st year, one compulsory stats module in second year and an optional maths module in second year. There's also an optional 'applied econometrics' module in 3rd year.

In the second year microeconomics and macroeconomics modules you'll have to use maths to answer a lot of the questions, but it's mainly differentiation.

All the modules are 20 credits, so you take 6 modules per year.

I think you're allowed to take up to 2 maths modules from the maths department in 1st year and one in second year, but you'd have to check as you're not supposed to take some maths modules with the first year maths for economics module.

You can take a finance module in 2nd year, and a financial theory and security investment analysis modules in 3rd year, but they aren't maths modules.

You can see the module list here: http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/l100.pdf

It's probably best if you email the department and ask them, they'll be able to give you a clear answer.

If you really want to study maths, you should probably ask if you can transfer your application to the BSc Natural Sciences joint honours degree in maths and economics.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/natural.sciences/prospective/
Reply 3854
Original post by undergradstudent
There's one compulsory maths/stats module in 1st year, one compulsory stats module in second year and an optional maths module in second year. There's also an optional 'applied econometrics' module in 3rd year.

In the second year microeconomics and macroeconomics modules you'll have to use maths to answer a lot of the questions, but it's mainly differentiation.

All the modules are 20 credits, so you take 6 modules per year.

I think you're allowed to take up to 2 maths modules from the maths department in 1st year and one in second year, but you'd have to check as you're not supposed to take some maths modules with the first year maths for economics module.

You can take a finance module in 2nd year, and a financial theory and security investment analysis modules in 3rd year, but they aren't maths modules.

You can see the module list here: http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/l100.pdf

It's probably best if you email the department and ask them, they'll be able to give you a clear answer.

If you really want to study maths, you should probably ask if you can transfer your application to the BSc Natural Sciences joint honours degree in maths and economics.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/natural.sciences/prospective/

Thanks for the information on that.
It's not that I want to do a maths degree but I enjoy using maths in economics and so the more that I can use it with an economics degree, the better.

I asked as I know people on here say Durham's course isnt as mathematical as others (as it is a BA) but I assume that you can make it as mathematical as you would like.

I will contact the economics department aswell to see what they say.

Thanks again

Also, is this the 'maths for economics' module? http://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook/module_description/?year=2011&module_code=ECON1021
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mattj94
Thanks for the information on that.
It's not that I want to do a maths degree but I enjoy using maths in economics and so the more that I can use it with an economics degree, the better.

I asked as I know people on here say Durham's course isnt as mathematical as others (as it is a BA) but I assume that you can make it as mathematical as you would like.

I will contact the economics department aswell to see what they say.

Thanks again

Also, is this the 'maths for economics' module? http://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook/module_description/?year=2011&module_code=ECON1021

Yep that's it. The maths in it is probably Further Maths standard, but you also learn some stats and how the maths is used in economics (eg which maths technique you'd use for each economic problem).
Quick question to those in catered, specifically at trevelyan, what is the vegetarian food like?
Hey... Il be visiting st Cuthbert's open day in March.... I got reply from the college that I can come that day...But im not completely sure what I should do...that info enclosed seems kinda limited for those people who are not staying overnight !
Thanks
Reply 3858
Original post by Antifazian
It's amazing!! :wink:
If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

Haha! Excellent! That's really reassuring, thank you! Why is it so amazing? :biggrin:
(EXCITEMENT)
Original post by RubyJ
Haha! Excellent! That's really reassuring, thank you! Why is it so amazing? :biggrin:
(EXCITEMENT)

It's just so friendly, and we have most of our formals in fancy dress which is brilliant fun, and we have a big bar (most colleges have pathetically small ones!)...Collingwood is just great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest