The Student Room Logo
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5180
Original post by stanners 27
Can anyone tell me what facilities are in St. Aidan's College please? Such as are there reading lamps? Are there any irons and ironing boards etc? I have looked at their website, it did not seem very informative about what to bring, apart from bedding? I am not too sure what I should buy.
Also does anybody know if there is anywhere I can keep a bike in college? Thank you.

There are lights above the desks (in the main part of the college anyway; i'm not sure about the houses). As they are on the ceiling, they aren't super bright but they aren't bad. I managed fine without an extra desk lamp. I think there are ironing boards somewhere, but I never actually bothered to check. Most people don't bother to iron stuff. There are bike sheds behind the bar.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Original post by ljay
There are lights above the desks (in the main part of the college anyway; i'm not sure about the houses). As they are on the ceiling, they aren't super bright but they aren't bad. I managed fine without an extra desk lamp. I think there are ironing boards somewhere, but I never actually bothered to check. Most people don't bother to iron stuff. There are bike sheds behind the bar.

Thank you. Do your clothes not get all creased? Do you know how to access the bike sheds? Is there a charge or anything?
Reply 5182
Hey guys,

Does anyone know whether the Durham Grant Scheme applies to europe students aswell?

Thanks
Original post by aptkoolaid
does durham accept general studies

For which course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi;d!

Anybody know how much might bedding cost? I mean full bedding (pillows, sheets, quilt, etc?)
i read somewhere that they are turning an abandoned mental hospital near the uni into student accommodation. freaky if you ask me
Original post by Secretnerd123
i read somewhere that they are turning an abandoned mental hospital near the uni into student accommodation. freaky if you ask me

Is this a question?

What's freaky about that anyone? If it was, say, an oncology unit would you find it freaky? It's not like it's been left abandoned for decades either. It was in use until 2010, when it moved to a new site.
Original post by Hi_I_Am_Alex
Hi;d!

Anybody know how much might bedding cost? I mean full bedding (pillows, sheets, quilt, etc?)

Well I think college sell a bedding pack for ~£30? So there's a rough figure to work with.

Original post by River85
Is this a question?

What's freaky about that anyone? If it was, say, an oncology unit would you find it freaky? It's not like it's been left abandoned for decades either. It was in use until 2010, when it moved to a new site.

We have an abandoned mental hospital in Durham?
Original post by River85
Is this a question?

No need to get your knickers in a twist, thats just my opinion
Original post by Helioghost

We have an abandoned mental hospital in Durham?

Not really "abandoned". It's a disused psychiatric hospital, known as the County Hospital, closed in 2010 as it was moved to new premises at Lanchester Road. It is off North Road, not far from Flass Vale

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10453107.Former_mental_health_hospital_sold_to_property_developers/

No need to get your knickers in a twist, thats just my opinion

Well what is so freaky about it? We're not talking an 18th or 19th insane asylum here (at least not any longer) but a modern psychiatric hospital offering occupational therapy, physiotherapy and other services to those with mental health problems and/or learning disabilities in relatively comfortable surroundings.
Which college has the best / healthiest food?
And by healthy, I mean the least processed and with lots of fruit and vegetables etc. Is the catering self-help?

I can't deside upon which college to apply to, hence I need to take everything into account :cool:
Reply 5191
As of a couple of years ago college food was mostly standardised, I think Johns and Cuths still maintain a separate system but that doesn't necessarily mean better. I have always found college food is what you make of it, it is easy enough to eat healthily if you try but also easy to be very unhealthy. If you are that concerned about it the best bet would be to go self catered at Butler or Cuths.
Would Durham prefer you to make a choice on the college you want to be in on your UCAS application or to make an open application. I guess what I am trying to say is that have I got a better chance of getting into Durham if I just did an open application to all the colleges. My grades at AS were good with 5 A's and I would love to study at the university.
Original post by Hannahmay01
Would Durham prefer you to make a choice on the college you want to be in on your UCAS application or to make an open application. I guess what I am trying to say is that have I got a better chance of getting into Durham if I just did an open application to all the colleges. My grades at AS were good with 5 A's and I would love to study at the university.

No, you wouldn't.

If you're accepted by your department, who are the first people to view your application, then you have a place on the course regardless of whether your chosen college take you or not.

If you have a college preference, then make use of the opportunity to state a preference. If you don't have a preference then make an open application. It's that simple.
As the poster above has said (with the exception of Johns and Cuths) every college serves the same food at the same time. It's easy enough to eat healthily because they have a traffic light system under every option telling you how many calories is in each dish and i think they mention fat/carb/protein contents too. There are about 4 options each night (2 meat/2 veggie i think) so there's normally at least one healthy option and there's a reasonable choice of sides and veggies as well as a salad bar.

My sister goes to John's and their food wasn't very nice when i tried it!
Reply 5195
Hi guys. Does Durham interview applicants for the biomedical science course?
Thanks for the replies! Sounds good then :biggrin: As long as the food is good and it's possible to eat (decent) healthy foods, I'm happy! Still can't decide which college I like the best, though. I guess the possibility of getting into Castle is already scarce? I'm tied between Chad's, Hatfield, Mary's and possibly Hild&Bede... do you guys know if there's a promotinal video for Chad's anywhere? Seems like it's the only college without a video on yountube.
Reply 5197
Original post by fwm
Hi guys. Does Durham interview applicants for the biomedical science course?

"Durham University does not use interviews as a means for selection except in the following circumstances:

- where external bodies determine that interviewing is compulsory (applicants to Initial Teacher Training and Medicine)
- applicants to the Foundation Centre
- applicants who do not in their application show adequate evidence of recent and relevant knowledge or who have experienced a break in their study prior to application. This will be determined by academic departments on an individual basis having considered all the information provided in the application.

In exceptional circumstances it might be necessary to hold an interview, but this really is truly exceptional and as a matter of course other than the circumstances listed above we do not use interviews to make admissions decisions. Some departments hold events to enable applicants to consider what the department and programme has to offer. These events do not involve interviews and form no part of the information we use to make an admissions decision. Details of these events can be found on individual departmental web pages. Applicants who are resident outside of the UK will not normally be invited to attend an interview."

Taken from the Durham website.
Original post by JohVolden
I guess the possibility of getting into Castle is already scarce?

Not sure what you mean by this. Some people have to get accepted by Castle, and if you like the look of the college then I wouldn't let the stats put you off. You'll feel great if you're accepted and if not you'll think your new college is the most amazing place ever in due time anyways.

I got into Castle and a friend of mine didn't. I felt great at getting in, and he of course wasn't thrilled, but he soon grew very fond of the college he was pooled to. The only people who were annoyed that I knew were those who would have loved to have been in Castle and regretted never giving themselves a chance by not applying there.

w/r/t a St. Chad's video you might not find one since they're an independent college recognised by the university, so they don't follow all the same protocols and such in terms of videos and how they run.
Graduate here. Do they still prohibit students from leaving early?

Quick Reply

Latest