The Student Room Logo
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6980
I'm having a hard time deciding between St Andrews and Durham! I applied to do English and have offers from both, and have also visited both, but still can't decide. Can a current Durham student (who may have also been in the same situation as me) give me a little insight into why the ended up picking Durham and why you personally feel like Durham is the better way to go?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Hello :smile: The only thing stopping me from accepting an offer from DU is money. My household income is not sufficient to cover all the univeristy living costs and I will be forced to get a part-time job while studying. Is it possible at Durham? I mean does the work load is really that terrible that I wouldn't manage to work and study at the same time (I will be studying Apllied psychology btw)?
Does any of the DU students is working part-time? Or knows something about it?
(+does anybody knows if there are any scholarships for EU students? I'm not from the UK so I won't get the Durham Grant and I didn't find any infos about bursaries or scholarships for EU students.)
(sorry for all the spelling mistakes)
THANK YOU :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey. Firstly, yes you should definitely come to DU and fulfill you're potential. Don't let the finances stop you as you can most certainly work. Are you starting the course in the upcoming year (2017/2018)? If so then you will spend your first year based on Queen's Campus in Stockton on Tees. It's certainly a cheaper area to live in than Durham (you will only have one accommodation option if you live in college which will be single, en-suite room with 2 meals a week, but if you live out in the local areas then there's a huge difference. I'm currently paying around Β£65 a week with all bills included). It's definitely possible to get a part-time job and study at the same time, you just need to have good time management. I work as a student amabasssador for the uni which includes summer schools, school visits, access schemes and programmes etc. All flexible and well paid work (genuinely, it's great pay) that you opt in to with what you're available to do. In my first year I also worked as a tutor in psychology (I'm a current 2nd year Applied Psychologist) for local students and also national ones as well using Skype. It's a great job that gives a sense of satisfaction and achievement as well enabling you to revise old content that you might have forgot which could help you in exams. There's a variety of ways you could tutor as well so it's very much doing it the way you think would be best. It's a self-employed job most of the time as well so you set the prices that you charge.

Working whilst studying is definitely possible and is something more students do than it probably seems. If you want to chat more about anything anything, particularly about the course or finances etc. then feel free to send me an email to [email protected]
It'd be a lot easier to chat over email than on here. Hope that's helped πŸ™‚
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jamster1997
Hey. Firstly, yes you should definitely come to DU and fulfill you're potential. Don't let the finances stop you as you can most certainly work. Are you starting the course in the upcoming year (2017/2018)? If so then you will spend your first year based on Queen's Campus in Stockton on Tees. It's certainly a cheaper area to live in than Durham (you will only have one accommodation option if you live in college which will be single, en-suite room with 2 meals a week, but if you live out in the local areas then there's a huge difference. I'm currently paying around Β£65 a week with all bills included). It's definitely possible to get a part-time job and study at the same time, you just need to have good time management. I work as a student amabasssador for the uni which includes summer schools, school visits, access schemes and programmes etc. All flexible and well paid work (genuinely, it's great pay) that you opt in to with what you're available to do. In my first year I also worked as a tutor in psychology (I'm a current 2nd year Applied Psychologist) for local students and also national ones as well using Skype. It's a great job that gives a sense of satisfaction and achievement as well enabling you to revise old content that you might have forgot which could help you in exams. There's a variety of ways you could tutor as well so it's very much doing it the way you think would be best. It's a self-employed job most of the time as well so you set the prices that you charge.

Working whilst studying is definitely possible and is something more students do than it probably seems. If you want to chat more about anything anything, particularly about the course or finances etc. then feel free to send me an email to [email protected]
It'd be a lot easier to chat over email than on here. Hope that's helped πŸ™‚

Thank You very much, it really calmed me down. :smile:
Original post by juviolacee
Thank You very much, it really calmed me down. :smile:

No problem at all. Glad I could help πŸ™‚
What is the night life like for Durham students?πŸ™ˆ
I'm not the most useful for this topic sadly as I don't really go clubbing, personally it's not something I'm a fan of. But from what I do know of other people and what they say, whilst it's well known for being notoriously cheesy and bed (especially on the European scale), students have quite the night and go to all sorts of clubs. Klute, Loveshack, Jimmy Allens etc. College bar crawls are a common thing to see the different colleges which is great because of the cheap drink prices (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and easily takes up a night with the vast number of colleges there is to get through.

Sorry I couldn't be too much help with that question in particular but hopefully some other students who are more involved in the nightlife of the university will see it and answer.

Original post by thebelljar98
Original post by thebelljar98

Whilst I'm not an existing student, I've looked into the nightlife a lot. The club's suffered majorly in past years, but recently they've been updated and upgraded. For most nights out, the college bars suffice, and are also cheap. Loveshack and Studio are of standard quality and will do the job. There are also a number of good pubs in the area.

Don't forget that one of the best nightlifes in the country is 12 minutes away by train in Newcastle, this is where most students tend to go for major nights out
Ok, one more question to the students who actually WORK PART-TIME WHILE STUDYING IN DURHAM :smile:
How many hours a week do you work? :smile:
This year I haven't worked as much as I did last year, especially as the job of ambassador is very flexible and opting in to work you can and want to do. Meaning that I haven't worked a consistent number of hours this year but last year I worked as both an ambassador and as a tutor in A-Level psychology and would typically work about 10 hours a week.

Ok, one more question to the students who actually WORK PART-TIME WHILE STUDYING IN DURHAM :smile:

I have a couple of jobs. One is a regular two hours a week, the other is variable.

University advice is not to work more than a certain number of hours a week - a believe it's 10, but I can't remember. I had a housemate last year who worked shifts at a bar (10-20 hours a week) and his social life, friendships and degree all really suffered as a result
Original post by Oli-Ol
I have a couple of jobs. One is a regular two hours a week, the other is variable.

University advice is not to work more than a certain number of hours a week - a believe it's 10, but I can't remember. I had a housemate last year who worked shifts at a bar (10-20 hours a week) and his social life, friendships and degree all really suffered as a result

Thank you for replying me. That is actually the thing I'm most worried about. I've read at the university site that the limit of hours is 12. My problem is that getting a job is not something I just want to do to have more money to spend on drinks and parties, but I am forced to get it because of my financial situation (=to have anything to eat). I know people who work 20-25 h/week to be financialy stable, but they are from other universities (not the top ones) and they are doing well with schoolwork and social life that's why I wanted to know if anybody on Durham is in the similar situation.
Thank you for replying me. That is actually the thing I'm most worried about. I've read at the university site that the limit of hours is 12. My problem is that getting a job is not something I just want to do to have more money to spend on drinks and parties, but I am forced to get it because of my financial situation (=to have anything to eat). I know people who work 20-25 h/week to be financialy stable, but they are from other universities (not the top ones) and they are doing well with schoolwork and social life that's why I wanted to know if anybody on Durham is in the similar situation.

Working those sorts of hours isn't unheard-of, but it isn't common either. You'll miss out on a lot. I do know a lot of people who work full-time during the holidays and then only 5-10 hours a week while at uni to keep some money come in. I'd suggest that that might be a better course of action, if practical for you
Hi, I've heard a few people get reallocated after results day from their college, even if they met the requirements. I'm really happy with my college and don't want this to happen to me, Anyone know how likely it is? I'm in St Cuthbert's if that helps, and also my offer is unconditional so if I firm they will know I will definitely be going.
Original post by Tortoises172
Hi, I've heard a few people get reallocated after results day from their college, even if they met the requirements. I'm really happy with my college and don't want this to happen to me, Anyone know how likely it is? I'm in St Cuthbert's if that helps, and also my offer is unconditional so if I firm they will know I will definitely be going.

It has happened to students who have missed their offer but been accepted anyway. It has also happened to students who haven't met their offer until after a remark. Also to students for whom Durham was their insurance. I'm not aware of it happening otherwise.
Hi, I've never heard of this happening myself. As soon as you receive your offer from the university then your college offer shouldn't change as this allocation is determined by a variety of different factors and calculations. This particularly shouldn't change following results day. If this does happen and/or is something you're particularly worried about then don't be afraid to ring the admissions department of the university to clarify the situation and see what they can do. Hope that helps.
Hi, I've never heard of this happening myself. As soon as you receive your offer from the university then your college offer shouldn't change as this allocation is determined by a variety of different factors and calculations. This particularly shouldn't change following results day. If this does happen and/or is something you're particularly worried about then don't be afraid to ring the admissions department of the university to clarify the situation and see what they can do. Hope that helps.

Literally just firmed Durham so it can't matter too much now :biggrin: I think it is just me being over paranoid about something going wrong...
Ah ok, that's great to hear. Congratulations! What are you going to be studying? πŸ˜ƒ You have nothing to worry about don't worry.
Ah ok, that's great to hear. Congratulations! What are you going to be studying? πŸ˜ƒ You have nothing to worry about don't worry.

Thank you! I'll be studying history :smile: haha I'm sure you're right. I'm so excited, October can't come fast enough!
No problem. Awh that's great, I don't study it but I love history, particularly Ancient History. Awh I bet you can't. It'll come pretty quickly I promise you that πŸ™‚

Original post by Tortoises172
Thank you! I'll be studying history :smile: haha I'm sure you're right. I'm so excited, October can't come fast enough!

Quick Reply

Latest