The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

LastGrape
Where is the nearest place to Parson's Field to buy Krispie Kremes?
The specific brand is essential if some of my friends are to come and visit me, though I'm not personally so bothered.

From a Krispy Kreme addict, I'm sorry to tell you there is nowhere near to Durham to buy them :frown: Krispy Kreme in the UK is limited to the south-east right now, but there is rapid expansion as they become more popular with even more stores in the south-east and new stores soon opening in Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham. I predict they will be in Newcastle by the end of the academic year (I hope).
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
JeremyK
Are there any bins in Mildert rooms? I've totally forgotten since I visited!

oh your worrying me now, so many things for me still to sort and things I havn't even thought of.

Are there any bins in Refounders House rooms?

Thanks Applying4Maths, guess a few of my friends won't come and visit me in the first year at least.
Reply 62
Every room will have a bin, don't worry! The university do have some respect for basic human needs!
Reply 63
Becca
Psh, everyone knows refresher bars are far superior. :p:

all these things you say, they are true :biggrin:
when they start selling refresher bars in bundles of 20, then my world will be complete.
Reply 64
dobbs
There is a mini doughnut stall that sits in Market Square (the centre of town) each weekend as part of the outdoor market. I've never been to it (as the smell from it puts me off) but people keep telling me they're gorgeous!

they are, they are!! if you flirt with the guy (his name's john) he gives you extras :wink:
he's the same guy who does the ice cream from the little stand. he is a legend! although he was supposed to come to john's day but cancelled due to rain, which wasn't cool... bah. they're too delicious to be angry for long!
I want to apply for a smaller college and so I was looking at St Johns and St Chads, it seems that St Johns is quite religious (according to wikipedia, lol) and while that wouldn't bother me, I don't know if that would be the perfect environment for me... I'm just wondering if St Chad's is the same?? As in: is it very religious? Right now I'm really liking St Chads so I just want to make sure I've considered everything when I apply :smile:
Reply 66
deathlyhallow
I want to apply for a smaller college and so I was looking at St Johns and St Chads, it seems that St Johns is quite religious (according to wikipedia, lol) and while that wouldn't bother me, I don't know if that would be the perfect environment for me... I'm just wondering if St Chad's is the same?? As in: is it very religious? Right now I'm really liking St Chads so I just want to make sure I've considered everything when I apply :smile:

i dont know that chads has any kind of religious affiliation, think it's just a normal college. not that john's isn't, lol. i'm from john's and i loooove it. it's amazing! the religious stuff is around, in that there are ministers training and living in cranmer, but we never bother each other :biggrin: you only have to be part of the religious stuff if you want to be, and that's no more than any other college - CU and all that. ive stayed out of any kind of religious participation this year, and there hasnt been a problem. john's is a really really friendly and welcoming college, and everyone who's there loves it, pretty much. i've heard good things about chad's too, i think that's where i would want to be if i wasn't at john's :smile: good choices!
Reply 67
St Chad's and St John's certainly have religious routes, I'm not sure how apparent those routes are nowadays however. I'd say John's is more religious than Chad's.

I actually received 2 offers from Durham, one was from Chad's, it's perfect for somebody who likes the small, intimate and somewhat intense environment. Unfortunately that wasn't for me. If you decide you don't like John's or Chad's, there's always Trev's, which I'm told is quite a small college (though bigger than Chad's and John's). I've heard that in Trev's everybody knows everyone and it's quite tight knit, but not as intense as the other smaller colleges.

There are a couple of Chad's and John's goers who use this forum, so no doubt they'll pitch in with a more in depth answer to mine.

EDIT: Sidekick beat me to it :p:!
Reply 68
loggins
St Chad's and St John's certainly have religious routes, I'm not sure how apparent those routes are nowadays however. I'd say John's is more religious than Chad's.

I actually received 2 offers from Durham, one was from Chad's, it's perfect for somebody who likes the small, intimate and somewhat intense environment. Unfortunately that wasn't for me. If you decide you don't like John's or Chad's, there's always Trev's, which I'm told is quite a small college (though bigger than Chad's and John's). I've heard that in Trev's everybody knows everyone and it's quite tight knit, but not as intense as the other smaller colleges.

There are a couple of Chad's and John's goers who use this forum, so no doubt they'll pitch in with a more in depth answer to mine.

EDIT: Sidekick beat me to it :p:!

indeed, trevs seems lovely too.

not sure how i feel about being described as a 'goer' :p:
Reply 69
:rofl:
Reply 70
The great thing about Trevs is that you can run all the way round it without ever having to put shoes on. Apart from the Jimmy Knott Hall, but noone ever goes there :p:

The Bailey colleges are more spread around.
Reply 71
pikaboo
The great thing about Trevs is that you can run all the way round it without ever having to put shoes on. Apart from the Jimmy Knott Hall, but noone ever goes there :p:

The Bailey colleges are more spread around.

you can do that at john's too :biggrin: unless you live in cruddas (the house at the bottom of the garden - altho u still could if you had durable feet...) there used to be a lot of pyjama wearing too - all day, in the bar of an evening... i LOVED it.
Chad's is the best, yes! (I'd better bloody get in again next year...)
Reply 73
Hello!

I was wondering if someone could tell me if its okay for me to take my boyfriend to the freshers ball or if its strictly for students?

Thanks guys!
Reply 74
I don't see why not, it's not as if you have to show your student card to get in.
Reply 75

I wsnt sure with it being the first freshers formal if it would be frowned upon to bring your boyfriend down! Glad its not!
Reply 76
I think it's quite a common situation. Though if I could make a reccomendation, I'd say try coping with freshers week mostly alone. Being thrown in at the deep end alone will help you make friends and will benefit you more in the long run.
Reply 77
sidekick
all these things you say, they are true :biggrin:
when they start selling refresher bars in bundles of 20, then my world will be complete.

Hehe. You know it.
I want a refresher bar now. A pink one. :hmpf:
Reply 78
I might pop into Humby's today...mmmm...:smile:
Reply 79
Becca
Hehe. You know it.
I want a refresher bar now. A pink one. :hmpf:

i've got one, i'm eating it now! :biggrin: a mini one, from a bag of sweeties.
you can have one too... mm virtual refreshment :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending