The Student Room Logo
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Hmm, in DUOS, the flute players will probably be diploma standard.

So, sell me the Hill/Castle orchs for me :p:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Reply 161
I am in charge of Castle Orchestra. THat's all you need to know. :p:

Ooh, ooh and in summer we do an outside concert in the grounds of the castle and it's always sooo lovely! People bring picnics and wine and sit on the grass and we perform :biggrin:
Does anyone know how long the "quarantine" period or whatever it is you have to do to get onto the network is?
Reply 163
Er, I think it's only until you have all the required things installed. You can't get online until you get your campus card though, which I think is the Wednesday of Freshers Week.
So I'm going to be disconnected from the www for 3/4 days? :|
Or will I just get round it by running Linux?
Reply 165
You won't miss the internet during freshers week. Normal life is put to one side. I remember we played Chelsea on the day we all moved into college, but I totally forgot about it and didn't find out the score for about a week. I remember being very confused when someone started laughing at me and saying '4-1' :frown:
Reply 166
Fields
You won't miss the internet during freshers week. Normal life is put to one side. I remember we played Chelsea on the day we all moved into college, but I totally forgot about it and didn't find out the score for about a week. I remember being very confused when someone started laughing at me and saying '4-1' :frown:

HAHAHAHA 4-1 (:p:)!
Reply 167
I am sure I read somewhere that should go to the freshers' fair on both days it is running as some societies are only there for 1 day, is this true?
yeah, I read that too... probably best to go on both days.
Reply 169
NickiM
I am sure I read somewhere that should go to the freshers' fair on both days it is running as some societies are only there for 1 day, is this true?

Yes, I think that's true, it's best going on both of the days if you want to see all of the societies.
I'm applying to Cuths for next year and just wondered what the procedure is with room allocation, is it a lottery whether you get a shared or single room or do you choose?
Reply 171
It's a lottery I believe, but I know some colleges opt for a rotation system whereby you share for one or two terms, and are allowed a single room for the rest of the year. Though I'm not sure how Cuths works, there are a few Cuths peeps here, so I'm sure they'll respond if they know!
I got a form and I had to number *all* the choices in preference order(they had the cost next to each too), so was a bit worried as I didn't want my 6th choice so much.
I'm going to be in Refounders House so got what I wanted: self-catered, single, non-ensuite room. Sharing kitchen/lounge and bathroom(s) with 6-10 people, I think we will have a front door so it's like a house share but with all the other students outside.

I don't know how likely you are to get what you want or how likely you are to get shared/single. I think some people choose shared!
Reply 173
Haha that form is a joke, I got my 6th choice.
If you get a shared room, you keep it for the whole year (29 or 33 weeks)
Reply 174
Thanks for the replies on freshers' fair :smile:
eggman
Haha that form is a joke, I got my 6th choice.
If you get a shared room, you keep it for the whole year (29 or 33 weeks)

oh, my worries were well placed then!
Reply 176
I think shared are only necessary for a term, but most choose to keep a shared for the rest of the year. However, I don't recall if that's a university-wide thing or if I read that on some Collingwood site.
Reply 177
You must be on your way by now sarbruis. You lucky ****
Reply 178
sarbruis
I think shared are only necessary for a term, but most choose to keep a shared for the rest of the year. However, I don't recall if that's a university-wide thing or if I read that on some Collingwood site.

Mostly anything to do with rooms are college-by-college basis. All colleges have their own policy on sharing - some say you share all year and others say you swap around.

On the whole I think that you could say that the more shared rooms a college has, the more likely it is that you only have to share for one term, whereas those colleges with few (yet usually very nice) shared rooms will ask you to share all year :smile:
Reply 179
Hi guys! Is there a swimming pool that anyone can use in durham-at student rates. I'd like to go just for lesiure not to enter for the olympics of anything...

Quick Reply

Latest

Latest