Luton has one too I think...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Reply 1961
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Luton has one too I think...

:yep:
'tis a dangerous place... you walk through there to get to the cinema.
Aula
:yep:
'tis a dangerous place... you walk through there to get to the cinema.

I hope you went armed...
Does anyone, by any chance, know what happens to students transferring to Durham?
Will they have accommodation in their college or do they have to house hunt?
Anatheme
Does anyone, by any chance, know what happens to students transferring to Durham?
Will they have accommodation in their college or do they have to house hunt?

I knew someone who got accommodation in college in Aidans (I could not imagine them saying no given that they seem to be very enthusiastic to getting internationals atm). In practise it depends on your college - phone them and ask.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
I knew someone who got accommodation in college in Aidans (I could not imagine them saying no given that they seem to be very enthusiastic to getting internationals atm). In practise it depends on your college - phone them and ask.

I'm classified as EU/home, so they don't get more money from me, lol. I'll phone if I ever have an offer, but was just wondering :yep:
Anatheme
I'm classified as EU/home, so they don't get more money from me, lol. I'll phone if I ever have an offer, but was just wondering :yep:

Its not about money lol - its about broadening the range of cultures in college.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Its not about money lol - its about broadening the range of cultures in college.

Oh right then that can only be good for me :teeth:
Plute
What is the Arndale Centre? I have lived in Durham all of my life and this remains a mystery to me... :hmmmm: Arnison Centre ?

The Arnison cente? It's an out of town shopping centre (well, only just). It's in Pity Me

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Pity+Me&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=12.605358,39.375&ie=UTF8&ll=54.806151,-1.576366&spn=0.011996,0.038452&t=h&z=15

That large car park and building, off Abbey Road and right in between Pity Me's main street and what was once the largest private housing estate in Europe (apparently). It's quite tucked away so easy it miss. If you leave Durham and go through Pity Me you really wouldn't think it's there. I just thought you had the private housing estate, I always thought the shopping centre was more Belmont way.

Glad to be the only one who gives you a proper answer :smartass:
Reply 1969
River85

I didn't know, or I would have.
Confirming the existence of the Luton one seemed like the most helpful thing for me to do :h:

(and just to make it clear, the most dangerous part about the Luton Arndale centre is the fact that it has lots of shops. I've never had a problem in Luton, rude as I may be about it...)
Reply 1970
I love the name "Pity Me".
Reply 1971
River85
The Arnison cente? It's an out of town shopping centre (well, only just). It's in Pity Me

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Pity+Me&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=12.605358,39.375&ie=UTF8&ll=54.806151,-1.576366&spn=0.011996,0.038452&t=h&z=15

That large car park and building, off Abbey Road and right in between Pity Me's main street and what was once the largest private housing estate in Europe (apparently). It's quite tucked away so easy it miss. If you leave Durham and go through Pity Me you really wouldn't think it's there. I just thought you had the private housing estate, I always thought the shopping centre was more Belmont way.

For a minute there I was going to be all, " I KNOW WHERE THE ARNISON CENTRE IS" ahaha, til I realised that post wasn't even directed at me whoops. Yeah the Arnison Centre is just about a shopping centre, its about 5 minutes from me. Definately tucked away ha!
Reply 1972
Is it past Gilesgate?
Reply 1973
hey guys - there doesn't seem to be a wealth of info on this on the durham website so just wondering how accommodation is sorted out for freshers?

I'm going for Hatfield so i understand about half the rooms are shared and half single...is there any way you can put in a preference / choose or do you just 'get what you're given'?

I got a pack from manchester a while back with all the different accomodation types, costs etc and it was a first-come-first-served basis.

cheers
James
Reply 1974
They sort out accommodation after results day.

However at this point it is done completely at random and you could end up sharing with a donkey :yep:
Reply 1975
hey cheers for the reply - so do students get to express a preference at all?

sharing with a donkey would be pretty cool...if only to see people's reactions to it
Reply 1976
jgupta
hey cheers for the reply - so do students get to express a preference at all?

sharing with a donkey would be pretty cool...if only to see people's reactions to it

I believe so. All the rooms will be the same cost. You'll have a form to fill in, on which you will be able to state various things about you so they can try and match you up with the best roommate, and (I think) you can also say that you'd prefer to have a single room.

(sorry for the donkey, I have to find some interesting way of answering questions that get asked over and over again)
Reply 1977
nah fair enough bro - thanks for your help :smile:
i might send an email to someone sometime down the line - i've lived away from home in both shared and single accommodation and can honestly say I prefer single...i have - strange - sleep habits...
jgupta
nah fair enough bro - thanks for your help :smile:
i might send an email to someone sometime down the line - i've lived away from home in both shared and single accommodation and can honestly say I prefer single...i have - strange - sleep habits...

If you have a good reason to want a single they'll usually try to accommodate it. :smile: Don't worry about it until after results day though.
Right, erm - apologies if already asked before, but I have a question!!

I live a very long way from Durham, but it's likely to be my first choice Uni having got an offer. The question is - do you have to move you, and/or stuff out of your room at the end of every half term/term (i.e. how often do you, or your poor parents, have to jaunt up/down the country bringing all your stuff to/from the place)?

Any info much appreciated as my parents are stressing about how we're going to manage such a big distance! Obviously international students have a bigger trip to make, but at the best part of 300 miles, it's not exactly a short trip down here either!

Cheers

mr_m

Quick Reply