The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

They should allow her to finish her education b4 deporting her, but she should be deported as she is illegal.
At least she'll never have to pay any of it back. Feel sorry for her but I have no sympathy for the mother. That's just taking the piss.
(edited 7 years ago)
thoroughly unfair
How did she get into university anyway without a valid visa/passport?
Original post by Great WORK
Illegally resident Bangor student Banged up and sent home. What more was expected...

Deal with it.

this kind of xenophobic attitude won't get you anywhere..

she should at the very least be allowed to finish her course
Original post by Shadrack97
this kind of xenophobic attitude won't get you anywhere..

she should at the very least be allowed to finish her course

She was clearly here illegally. There will be consequences. End of.
Original post by Great WORK
She was clearly here illegally. There will be consequences. End of.

she was here legally since she was 12..
"Shiromini Satkunarajah, 20, who has lived in the UK for almost a decade"

She was brought her as a child with no choice but now the home office decides to deport her?

She can't have been. Otherwise she would have been allowed to stay.
It's the trump affect
So? We're a nation of laws. It took ages for my parents to get British citizenship. Why the hell should somebody be allowed to stay here without going through the proper legal channels? Besides what the hell is Bangor University, I've never heard of that in my life. Chances are she's doing some useless degree at a third rate institution. Yawn.

Not as simple as that. She came here legally as a child on her fathers visa, but he died, which means her right to be in the UK died with him.

Seems a shame imo because she was going to get a first in engineering a skill this country could make use of. Seems a bit pettu not to let her finisher degree.

Wonder how she managed to persuade SFE to finance the degree?
Original post by badgeofhonour9
So? We're a nation of laws. It took ages for my parents to get British citizenship. Why the hell should somebody be allowed to stay here without going through the proper legal channels? Besides what the hell is Bangor University, I've never heard of that in my life. Chances are she's doing some useless degree at a third rate institution. Yawn.

Congratulations on showing your ignorance, Bangor is a uni in wales and the article clearly states she's doing an engineering degree.
Original post by Kravence
Congratulations on showing your ignorance, Bangor is a uni in wales and the article clearly states she's doing an engineering degree.

We're still a nation of laws. I don't care if you're doing Medicine at Oxford, if you're here illegally you're here illegally. That's that.
Original post by 999tigger
Not as simple as that. She came here legally as a child on her fathers visa, but he died, which means her right to be in the UK died with him.

Seems a shame imo because she was going to get a first in engineering a skill this country could make use of. Seems a bit pettu not to let her finisher degree.

Wonder how she managed to persuade SFE to finance the degree?

she would financed it herself, student finance only offer finance for home students
she would financed it herself, student finance only offer finance for home students

there was no indication in the article about that. Even less reason to deport her just before she graduated if she had given the uni £50,000 in fees. I think it unlikely they had that sort of money.
Reply 17
The only sad point is that it's taken this long to deport an illegal immigrant.

SFE offer finance for home students and those in the EU/ EEA..

She is a home student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending