The Student Room Group

Post-graduate funding.

Hi,
So next year, I have been offered a place to study a Masters in social work at Birmingham University, but the postgraduate loan system baffles me. From what I can find, the course is 5,335 per year; however the student finance companies are only willing to give me a total of 10,280 for both years which will not cover my living costs or even my total fee costs. There is a possibility for a NHS bursary to cover this but it does not seem to be guaranteed. I was wondering if anyone had experienced these problems or had any advice? Thanks x
Original post by eves_kirkham96
Hi,
So next year, I have been offered a place to study a Masters in social work at Birmingham University, but the postgraduate loan system baffles me. From what I can find, the course is 5,335 per year; however the student finance companies are only willing to give me a total of 10,280 for both years which will not cover my living costs or even my total fee costs. There is a possibility for a NHS bursary to cover this but it does not seem to be guaranteed. I was wondering if anyone had experienced these problems or had any advice? Thanks x

The postgraduate loan is only meant as a contribution towards the total amount needed, the difference needs to be up made up by the student. If you cant gt the NHS bursary you might need to look into working and saving up.
Reply 2
Hi..

I am having the exact same prob!! I have been looking into either social work or speech and language therapy for when i finish next year but am absolutely baffled as to how im meant to afford it when we are only given a loan that will not even cover tuition fees?? How are people getting postgraduate degree when this is the case?! x
Original post by emiliesil
Hi..

I am having the exact same prob!! I have been looking into either social work or speech and language therapy for when i finish next year but am absolutely baffled as to how im meant to afford it when we are only given a loan that will not even cover tuition fees?? How are people getting postgraduate degree when this is the case?! x

You have to work for it ?
I don't even get a loan at all for my post grad (Its a postgrad diploma not a masters) Which means I need to fund the entire £6000 fees myself then my living costs on top..So i've been working as hard as I can for the last few months and will continue to do so, so far I've managed to save 70% of the course fees so I am hoping to have that fully paid by June, then i'll start saving up for my living costs..
Hi..

As Jackieox says people work for it or are fortunate enough to have well off relatives who can cover the costs or their work pays. The majority of postgraduate students aren't fresh from undergraduate study- as a typical example only three of us were out of 12 on my masters course. Of those three, two of us (including myself) had support from relatives, one recieved a scholarship which covered her fees and then carried on her part time job to cover living costs, plus carried on living at home. Then the two other brits on my course took it part time so they could work more hours. And the rest were international, many of whom had employers paying for the course. I should add though that my course wasn't that expensive nor was rent where I lived and I had change from £10k.
Reply 5
How are people getting postgraduate degree when this is the case?! x

Up until last September there wasn't even a Postgrad Loan. Same way you used yo do it, only now it's easier.

As people above have said, you work & save for what you need above the loan, or you get a private loan. That's about it, really. It's difficult to get a part-time job which covers much in the way of costs during a Masters, but plenty of people do it. Although someone on my Masters had to give up their job because they would be flexible about her shifts which ended up clashing with a term's worth of seminars.
Get a job and save up. You're grown up now, you can't expect to be handed things on a plate willy nilly.
Reply 7
Original post by Jackieox
You have to work for it ?
I don't even get a loan at all for my post grad (Its a postgrad diploma not a masters) Which means I need to fund the entire £6000 fees myself then my living costs on top..So i've been working as hard as I can for the last few months and will continue to do so, so far I've managed to save 70% of the course fees so I am hoping to have that fully paid by June, then i'll start saving up for my living costs..

I thoroughly understand people have to work for it, I am not stupid. However, £24,000 is a bit different to £6000.
Reply 8
Original post by Mr. Bojangles
Get a job and save up. You're grown up now, you can't expect to be handed things on a plate willy nilly.

Again, I am not stupid and in no way do i ever expect things to be handed on a plate, I have worked since I was 16!!! But saving up £24,000 for a 2 year course is a bit of an ask. It was a simple question, there was need to be rude.
There are two government backed loans, and you can apply for both.

Postgraduate loan (with student loan company): £10250.
Postgraduate career development loan (with co op or Barclays, via the government): £10000.

Be careful because the bank loan repayments start as soon as you graduate. But yeah you can get both assuming your credit rating is ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending