The Student Room Group

Do you support the legalisation of recreational marijuana?

Poll

Do you support the legalisation of recreational marijuana?

Is just a bit of fun or does it pose serious risks to people's well being?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, I do.

If alcohol and tobacco are legal, why not marijuana? People should have a right to decide what they consume. If I want to get high, that's my choice, and I accept the health risks.

Legalisation would also take power and money away from gangs and criminals.

I don't buy the whole gateway drug argument, either. I've smoked plenty of pot in my time, but I've never once felt the desire to shoot heroin into my arm because of it. Some people have naturally addictive personalities and are going to abuse these things and seek greater highs anyway, whether it's legal or not. It's better they do it in an environment that isn't dominated by the criminal underground.
Absolutely! :bong:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Absolutely! :bong:

S-s-s-smoke weed every day.

Original post by Dandaman1
S-s-s-smoke weed every day.

hqdefault.jpg

Smoke that weed erryday!
Original post by Dandaman1
Yes, I do.

If alcohol and tobacco are legal, why not marijuana? People should have a right to decide what they consume. If I want to get high, that's my choice, and I accept the health risks.

Alcohol and tobacco are easy to spell.
Reply 6
I'm on the fence but I think that marijuana should be adopted as something readily available on prescription in the right circumstances - parkinson's and cancer for example.

One of the problems if it was legalised and easily available is how many people would be selling it to under-age kids? Probably a lot more than there are now.
Yes, or at least its decriminalisation. I don't see it happening anytime soon though, too many people prefer a paternalistic government.
Reply 8
I'd be fine with it, as long as strong rules were put in place as to where it could be smoked (I don't want to have to deal with the stench of people smoking it just walking down the street) and as long as it was taxed in equivalence to other potentially harmful substances (eg alcohol and tobacco).
Reply 9
No.
Definitely not, and if it were to be, I agree with the above about it needing strict regulations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone who doesn't must be seriously out of touch with the situation. I could open up Tor browser right now and have the Royal Mail deliver me an ounce by the end of the week. There's a reason the cops have virtually given up enforcing the law on this issue. It's a complete waste of time and resources to go after such an innocuous, widely available drug.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't mind either way.

I do agree with the principle that we should be free to put what we want into our bodies. I dont think it is sufficiently harmful to justify the draconian laws that we have.

However, we are pretty much free to do it already. It is easily accessible and nobody gets locked up over smoking a joint.

I don't think it is a good drug though. I think it would lead to a large increase in usage which I wouldn't particularly want to see.

It would take money away from criminals and into the tax system. I think that clinches it for me.
Reply 13
Original post by Captain Haddock
Anyone who doesn't must be seriously out of touch with the situation. I could open up Tor browser right now and have the Royal Mail deliver me an ounce by the end of the week. There's a reason the cops have virtually given up enforcing the law on this issue. It's a complete waste of time and resources to go after such an innocuous, widely available drug.

Although I'm not against different laws regarding drugs, this has got to be one of the more idiotic arguments for it.

I could open up Tor browser right now and have someone sent to kill you by the end of the week. Does that mean contract killing should also be made legal? I could also just as easily buy the info for hundreds of credit cards, buy a fake passport or pay to have TSR attacked with a DDoS attack. Should we make all this legal too?

Like I say, I'm not saying drugs shouldn't be legal (although IMO with very hefty taxes), I'm just saying you should really think again if that's your main reason for it.

Because we can, we should?

ps mind you, I am for it too, just highlighting that this argument is very poor.
Original post by Dheorl
Although I'm not against different laws regarding drugs, this has got to be one of the more idiotic arguments for it.

I could open up Tor browser right now and have someone sent to kill you by the end of the week. Does that mean contract killing should also be made legal? I could also just as easily buy the info for hundreds of credit cards, buy a fake passport or pay to have TSR attacked with a DDoS attack. Should we make all this legal too?

Like I say, I'm not saying drugs shouldn't be legal (although IMO with very hefty taxes), I'm just saying you should really think again if that's your main reason for it.

The difference is that in your examples you can clearly demonstrate malicious intent and/or identify an obvious victim. The supposed aim of the war of drugs is to prevent people from accessing drugs. The existence of things like the dark net make a mockery of this whole idea and show how 50 years of wasting resources locking up non-violent drug offenders has amounted to nothing. Laws against murder and fraud are there to protect victims and penalise the perpetrators. Even if such laws had no bearing on crime rates they should still be enforced because the perpetrators would still need to be kept away from society for the safety of others. Drug laws do not work like this. Drug laws penalise the people they're supposed to be protecting and keep the drugs in the hands of criminals. It is a self-defeating enterprise.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
The difference is that in your examples you can clearly demonstrate malicious intent and/or identify an obvious victim. The supposed aim of the war of drugs is to prevent people from accessing drugs. The existence of things like the dark net make a mockery of this whole idea and show how 50 years of wasting resources locking up non-violent drug offenders has amounted to nothing. Laws against murder and fraud are there to protect victims and penalise the perpetrators. Even if such laws had no bearing on crime rates they should still be enforced because the perpetrators would still need to be kept away from society for the safety of others. Drug laws do not work like this. Drug laws penalise the people they're supposed to be protecting and keep the drugs in the hands of criminals. It is a self-defeating enterprise.

Yea, next time perhaps go with that rather than just "I can do it anyway so may as well make it legal" ... :tongue:

Also, just to point out, non violence doesn't necessarily mean no negative effect on society.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
How do you control it if it was legalised? In other words, who can produce it, who can buy it, what ID is needed, where can you buy it and in what quantities and regularity. You couldn't just make it legal for anyone to buy/sell or we'd have 9 year old chavs permanently high (well more than they are now).
Original post by nutz99
How do you control it if it was legalised? In other words, who can produce it, who can buy it, what ID is needed, where can you buy it and in what quantities and regularity. You couldn't just make it legal for anyone to buy/sell or we'd have 9 year old chavs permanently high (well more than they are now).

What an insightful and important question! Yes! How do you control dangerous substances? I don't know how we could solve that issue.
Reply 19
Original post by Stewart Dent
Is just a bit of fun or does it pose serious risks to people's well being?

It is not a medical question at all. It is about choice, it is incredibly regressive (and oppressive) for something like this to be illegal; people have the fundamental right to experiment with drugs if they so choose, no government has the right to ban anyone from doing anything they want with their body.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending